CLUELESS IN CORONADO

Our connection to our friends down south.

CLUELESS IN CORONADO

Postby navlax76 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:05 pm

After many years of dealing with the worst playing surface in San Diego County, Coronado Unified School District has finally put Field Turf on Niedermeyer Field at Islanders' Stadium. The most vocal proponents for this improvement were the lacrosse boosters (also the folks who posted the most voluntary contributions). So, the new turf is installed and guess what? It's only marked for football and soccer. And while Islanders' soccer has been respectable and Islanders' football mediocre at best, the high school's two best teams (outside of the swimming pool) now have NO field on the island on which to play their boys and girls lacrosse games. Does this part of Southern California deserve lacrosse? I seriously don't think so.

I'm reminded of Mark Twain's quote concerning God, idiots and school boards.
navlax76
NCLF MVP
NCLF MVP

Postby Grizz » Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:39 pm

navlax76,

Same with us up here. They let us put down red dye #4 for our lines as long as it lasts only a few hours so it all has to be repainted for the next game. The 20' yardage numbers are all sown in. But football and soccer do rate higher than lacrosse at our school. Girls soccer is nationally ranked up towards the top.
If its worth doing, its worth abusing.
Grizz
Forum Father
Forum Father

Postby quickstick » Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:30 pm

Actually I have not seen a west coast synthetic field with lacrosse markings. All are done with a temp field paint. My favorite was the one (location forgotton) with a blue green paint...almost invisible. But you have a nice surface now anyway.
When I make a great play it is because my opponent made me do so.
quickstick
All Star
All Star

Postby backdoor » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:11 pm

I can't believe that the lacrosse team can't use the field. I'm sure the lax boosters are raising a stink especially since they contributed so much. You want me to make a few calls? I'm pissed!
backdoor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby navlax76 » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:16 pm

The other really interesting point was that I had been working with several of my former teammates, who are now NCAA coaches, to bring sanctioned NCAA DI /DIII games out to Coronado in March '07 or '08. So much for that idea. They'll still likely come to San Diego, because schools like Poway, Torrey Pines, Westview and others have excellent facilities to host them and the coaches want to gain West Coast exposure. I just feel bad for the kids in Coronado, the many boys and girls who love lacrosse and might have enjoyed seeing NCAA lacrosse played on their "home" field.

OBTW, the absolutely classic reasoning behind why lacrosse field markings were omitted, "We didn't want to have too many lines on the field." Seriously, that was the answer I got when I asked why lacrosse had been slighted. I've been associated with this community's lacrosse programs since 1986 and of all the ridiculous stuff lacrosse has had to endure, all of the uphill battles fought against ignorance of our game, this might be the most incredible injustice yet.
navlax76
NCLF MVP
NCLF MVP

Re: CLUELESS IN CORONADO

Postby Billax » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:52 am

navlax76 wrote:...the high school's two best teams (outside of the swimming pool) now have NO field on the island on which to play their boys and girls lacrosse games.

Navlax76, will Coronado HS at least least let you spray paint lacrosse markings on their field during the season? I just can't imagine so fine a team, and such a beacon for lacrosse in California, having no place to play.
Billax
Forum Father
Forum Father

Return to Southern California