Lake Tahoe 2009

Lake Tahoe 2009

Postby Laxrebel » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:29 pm

Dub C won the Lake Tahoe event this year for their second title in 3 years. They defeated West Sunset 14-3 in the final game. Dub C upset a stacked Marin team 10-3 in the semis and West Sunset upset Olympic Club in the other semi 10-5. Marin came out with new jerseys in the Semi that said "Top Cheese Every Time". Youth prevailed in both games. Great tournament this year. Its the first time I can remember neither Marin or OC was not in the final game.
Laxrebel
1st Line
1st Line

Re: Lake Tahoe 2009

Postby Timbalaned » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:08 am

Tournament was hella fun, always a good time. Was impressed to see Dub C, which is equivalent to an ex MCLA all star team, take it HARD to a bunch of SI grads and D1 kids. Chris Smalls was on point at the faceoff for Dub C and Sunset had only 2 offensive possesions before Dub C was up 5 or 6 to nothing.
UO 2002-2006
Napa Force Coach 2007, 2009
Timbalaned
1st Line
1st Line

Postby SkylineCoach » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:52 am

Not just an MCLA all star team, but specifically WCLL (dub-c LL). And you're right, great to see the homegrown talent doing even better than holding its own.

Tahoe is always about my favorite weekend of the year. Especially when all the young guys blow off the early Sunday game and the veterans get all the minutes (and a win). :lol:
SkylineCoach
NCLF MVP
NCLF MVP

Postby Billax » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:10 pm

Skyline Coach, Timbalaned, and LaxRebel: I've never been to the Tahoe tournament, but I'm keen to attend next year. Can you fill us in on the environment, fields, players and format of the event? Where are the fields? Who were the players? Who made a difference? What were the circumstances that created the Dub C victories?

Thanks in advance.

Billax
Sports don't build character, they reveal it. - Heywood Broun
Billax
Forum Father
Forum Father

Postby Timbalaned » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:58 pm

Tahoe is really one of my favorite weekends of the year, not going to lie. It is an amazing environment. It is in beautiful Incline Village and as I tell my friends, the only place where beer is free and water costs money due to the sponsorship by Tahoe Brew. Environment is pretty laid back til the semis and finals, but other than that it is amazing for lacrosse. Always nice weather, the only draw back is the size of the fields. It is at a place called Green Park or something right behind the Hyatt in Incline Village and the fields are both small, one being even smaller than the other. The lines for the wings on the faceoffs are almost touching the box on the small field, but really for some of the older guys, the field size is a plus :D The quality of play is really good and there were a lot of ex and current D1 guys and a lot of high quality MCLA guys. I play each year for Big foot out of Portland, but we had Connor Martin (champman stud) and Ryan Powell on our team this year as well as mostly ex Oregon guys. As stated Dub-C is California kids headed this year by Chris Smalls, Danny Meteoyer, Tim Casey, Cito Williams and others. Sunset West is supposively the farm team for the O Club, whom they beat in the Semis. Sunset had Roy Lange, some attack at Brown, saw a pole from Hofstra and a few others, some Dartmouth Middie. Not sure who is on O Club. Marin had Ned Crotty, Matt Oglesby, Lorne Smith, Matt Vashon, and plenty of other ex pro guys as well. Let's just say there is quality players at this tournament. Other teams were Old Gaels, Chico Republic, Tahoe Dogs, Team Mexico, Woozles (Idaho/Utah guys), and there are others. 4 groups of 4, round robin. Winner of each group plays in Semis on Sunday and then championship in the afternoon. I recommend it to anyone who likes lacrosse, beer, good weather, gambling and women. Really can't go wrong.
UO 2002-2006
Timbalaned
1st Line
1st Line

Postby Timbalaned » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:59 pm

and really from what i saw the reason Dub C won was cause Sunset never had the rock. Chris Smalls killed it at the x and they just coasted from there.
UO 2002-2006
Timbalaned
1st Line
1st Line

Postby Billax » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:34 pm

Timbalaned wrote:...I play each year for Big foot out of Portland, but we had Connor Martin (chapman stud) and Ryan Powell on our team this year as well as mostly ex Oregon guys.....

Must have been a nice plus to have the big guy on the team!

Thanks for the info!
Billax
Forum Father
Forum Father

Postby SkylineCoach » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:35 pm

Timbaland's got it. I can add a little...

This was the 19th year. I've played in all but a couple. Carl Steiner started it and handed it off to the Tahoe Dogs' Curt Wegener (Syracuse goalie, graduated around 1982?) about 3 or 4 years later when it moved to Incline.

In the mid-90's President Clinton & VP Gore landed Marine 1 & 2 on the fields during a break in the action to announce the passing of a bill which would, among other things, keep Tahoe blue. Curt gave them sticks. It was cool.

West Sunset is a St Ignatius alumni team and one of the oldest running participants. Named for their sometime home fields out in SF. Slo Town (Cal Poly alums) didn't make it for the first time in a long time this year. Team Mexico is in now, couple years running. Bigfoot is the Oregon contingent, Northwest Nirvana the Washington, Rocky Mountain Oysters the Colorado (ostensibly). I play for Clif Bar.

Seedings are based on prior year's performance. Each group of 4 gets a top 4 finisher, a bottom 4 finisher, etc. Additionally, the bottom finishers basically play all their games on the smaller field while the 'marquee' teams play theirs on the larger one. So there's some incentive to do well & to keep coming every year. For the 2nd year straight, for example, Clif finished 5th at 3-1, played 2 games on each field, and will play a 5th-8th seed on next year's Friday and then the 9th-12th seed in our bracket on Saturday morning and the 1st-4th seed on Saturday afternoon.

In all, its a very well-run tournament. My kids love it, my wife likes that we've figured out where to stay within walking distance to the field so she can have the car, I love jumping in the Lake between games - Ski Beach is literally across the street. And I think someone mentioned the free beer... all true. The refrigerated wagon pulls in between the fields at about 12pm every day and stays until its empty.
SkylineCoach
NCLF MVP
NCLF MVP

Postby Billax » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:10 pm

Terrific reports, guys. Thanks! For those of you who've been to the Vail tournament, how would you compare the experience and environment at Tahoe?
Billax
Forum Father
Forum Father

Postby Laxrebel » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:35 pm

I have done Vail, Hawaii and Tahoe and I honestly feel Tahoe is the best tournament. The atmosphere is so much fun. Everyone has a high lax IQ. The scenery is out of sight. Top notch play. Beer on the field. Curt and everyone run such a great tournament. It is honestly a reunion for the West Coast lacrosse fraternity.
Laxrebel
1st Line
1st Line

Next

Return to Men's Club