Playoffs

Playoffs

Postby picknroll » Mon May 20, 2013 4:39 pm

Did anyone make it out to the NCJLA Youth Final Four games this weekend? As usual, we could grow beards waiting for the NCJLA to update their site with the results. I'd be interesting to hear anything about the games. I know that Scorpions won U11A, but that's all I know.
picknroll

Re: Playoffs

Postby terpcard » Tue May 21, 2013 5:15 pm

Firehawks won U13A.
terpcard
Fan
Fan

Postby laxpops » Tue May 21, 2013 7:31 pm

Ross Valley won 15A
laxpops
Practice Player
Practice Player

Postby Flandog » Wed May 22, 2013 9:13 am

U11A Division was won by the Scorpions. They beat Ross Valley in the Finals 13-2.

Final Four was:
#1: Scorpions - 9
vs.
#5: Skyline - 2

#2: Firehawks - 7
vs.
#3: Ross Valley - 8

Seems like Ross Valley, the Firehawks, and the Scorpions were well represented across all of the divisions.

Ross Valley came from behind and scored 3 goals in the final 3 minutes to beat the Firehawks 8-7 in the semi-final game. Crazy game with two each 3-min non-releasable penalties for illegal sticks and I think a few successive bench conduct fouls that had Ross Valley 6 on 3 for most of the final three minutes. I doubt I'll ever hear of a finish like that in a game. The Firehawk face-off man - once he clamped his head over the line - was called for off-sides immediately - possession was automatic for Ross Valley. Just a perfect storm to pave the way for a Ross Valley victory.
BIRTH - LACROSSE - DEATH
Flandog
NCLF All American
NCLF All American

Postby picknroll » Wed May 22, 2013 4:32 pm

Thanks for the info, all.

That Ross Valley U15A team is about the best I've seen in my years of watching NCJLA, going back to 2005. I did not get a chance to see the Firehawks U13A, but they must be pretty darn good if they beat out the Scorpions and Ross Valley. I saw those two U13A teams play each other in regular season and they were excellent.

It's nice to see Skyline with success at the A level with the U11A Final Four. That's promising for the future of that club.

The increase in skill level, lax IQ, and athleticism is just amazing. The depth of the both quality athletes per team and overall quality teams continues to grow. I would say they next few years in high school lacrosse are going to be exciting with a whole new level.

Congrats to all playoff teams and especially the Grizzlies U15A, Firehawk U13A, and Scorpion U11A winners!
picknroll

Postby laxking » Wed May 22, 2013 5:59 pm

Of interest to note are the following U15A Grizzlies who are also together on the 3d 2017 Northern California team (which won Sin City and Palm Desert tourneys this year) -- and will also be together at St. Ignatius next year:

Nick Clarke (M)
Bryn Evans (M)
Finn Heidenreich (A)
Will Myers (A)
Joe Pitti (D)
Hall Peters (D)
Patrick Oven (G)
Robert Reutiman (D)

3d attack Patrick Brosnan will be joining his teammates at SI, and perhaps others as well that I'm unaware of.
Grizzly/3d Middie Jack Elders will go to Redwood -- no doubt they are ecstatic to have him join an already strong team.
The other Grizzlies will be spread amongst other Bay Area schools (Marin Academy, University, Tam, etc) and 1-2 boys are heading back east to boarding schools.

Bay Area lax is going to be strong for at least 4 yrs to come, and no doubt there are more coming down the pipe, as picknroll has noted!
laxking
Fan
Fan

Postby laxspieke » Thu May 23, 2013 10:58 am

It’s also worth noting that most of this group of U15A RV Grizzlies (and most of the 3d 2017s) have been coached by the same guys for 5+ years, John Clarke and Bill Cummings. John and Bill did an exceptional job with a talented group, and stuck with them until the end, bringing home RV’s first ever U15A gold medal. They deserve a lot of credit for teaching very talented kids to play with a total lack of selfishness.

To Pick’s previous comment about whether this is the best U15 team ever, there are brothers on this RV team and the Southern Marin 2010 U15A champs (w/ Lang, Eichhorst, Cyrus, etc.) who have engaged in many a heated dinner discussion about which team would have prevailed. Suffice to say that while that So Marin team had some great players, the way the RV team played on both sides of the field, along with the many weapons they had on offense, I think probably gives RV the edge.

SI does indeed have 9 players from this RV team headed there next year and, along with several other stand-outs from other clubs, has the potential to become the best ever Bay Area HS team. This will be a fun group to watch for years to come.
laxspieke

Postby picknroll » Thu May 23, 2013 3:02 pm

I coached against both this year's U15A Ross Valley team and the 2010 U15A So Marin team. I'd give the edge to this year's RV on depth, although I liked that So Marin team a lot (when I did not have to play them).

I would also put the 2008 Scorpions team with Michael Tags, Patrick Worstell, Jordan Weiss, and Zach Kline up there high. Amazing group of athletes (and coaching with Peter Worstell) there. I think that's my top three. I still like this years Ross team due to depth. Every guy on the roster was a stud.

As for the RV program also a big shout out to Christopher Dean who is the club president and a super great guy for youth lacrosse. You need a good leadership in place to put out consistently good teams and RV certainly has that covered.

The NCJLA site still has not posted the results. Shameful. We pay them all that money and can't even get a score and a picture.
picknroll

Postby laxking » Thu May 23, 2013 4:13 pm

U15A playoff scores:

Semi's:
#1 RV beat #5 El Dorado Trojans: 16-3
#2 Lamorinda beat #3 Scorpions: 8-7 (or 9-8?) in overtime (word has it they came back after being down by 4ish to clinch the win)

Finals:
RV beat Lamorinda 10-4

Someone said the NCJLA films these games? If so, where is that footage, & where are the pics? Where is the love? Seems to me the A teams play second fiddle to the B&C teams with the NCJLA... is that just my imagination? Does the NCJLA have an A league point person, I wonder?
laxking
Fan
Fan

Postby Flandog » Thu May 23, 2013 4:44 pm

Great topic... who is better. That discussion is endless and can never be solved until they make an NCJLA youth video game.

Also interesting is the number of 3d players represented on all of the final four team this weekend. At the U11 level - the 2020 (5th Grade) 3d team has 2 Ross Valley players, 4 Scorpion players, and 6 Firehawk players (lost in the semi-finals). I know the U13A level has a bunch of 3d kids as well. Between the U13 Firehawks and Scorpions - I believe they have about 12 or more 3d Players on the 2018 (7th grade) and 2019 (6th grade teams) combined. I'm not sure of the numbers - but there are quite a few 3d kids on those teams.
BIRTH - LACROSSE - DEATH
Flandog
NCLF All American
NCLF All American

Return to General Youth