Teams competing in U13A and U15A in 2011

Re: Teams competing in U13A and U15A in 2011

Postby SkylineCoach » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:19 pm

And to bookend this thread - the results are in.

Huge congratulations to the Pleasanton Hurricanes U13A for their 10-8 Championship win over the Firehawks U13A team. It was a come-from-behind win that showed that good teams win close games. The Hurricanes finished the season a perfect 17-0 and couldn't define Champion any better. MV and SRV better look out in 4-5 years, because Amador & Fooothill are going to have players.

The Skyline U13B team discussed in this thread also won its Championship - the top bracket of the U13B single-elimination tournament yesterday at Treasure Is. Skyline won 3-2 over a great Diablo Scorpion Stingers team coached by my friends Adam Charlson and Dave Garff. 2-2 at halftime, only 1 goal scored the entire second half and honestly it could have gone either way. Nobody there cared if it was an A or a B game, it was just great lacrosse.
Last edited by SkylineCoach on Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SkylineCoach
NCLF MVP
NCLF MVP

Postby picknroll » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:33 am

Congratulations to Pleasanton U13A!! That's back-to-back U13A championships for mostly the same group of kids.

Who won U15A and U11A? The NCJLA site has not been updated yet. It's hard to get info.
picknroll

Postby picknroll » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:18 pm

Looks like the Scorpions won U15A and the Firehawks won U11A. Congratulations to all three clubs!

Here's a recap of the finals:

U15A: Scorpions over Ross Valley
U13A: Pleasanton over Firehawks
U11A: Firehawks over Scorpions
picknroll

Postby picknroll » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:10 pm

I'll make a commentary on this thread focusing on the positive.

The six teams in the "A" level finals this year came from four clubs: Scorpions, Firehawks, Pleasanton, and Ross Valley. There's a common theme for all four of those clubs. For the last four or five years those clubs field an "A" level team in every NCJLA division. Those clubs always show up to play "A" level regardless of the talent of any given year. The Scorpions rarely take lumps, but I have seen all three of the other clubs take their lumps - but they've never shied away or dropped down to lower divisions. It is no accident that the "A" level championship teams come from these clubs that have made a long-term commitment to playing at the highest level possible. I also imagine that the high schools that these clubs feed into will be highly competitive in the years to come. Development is the ultimate goal of youth lacrosse and these clubs are certainly doing their part to develop lacrosse players.

I remember just a short few years ago when all "A" level championships were won by the Scorpions. You could engrave the trophies before the season started. This year we had three different "A" level champions. We've got to give big props to the Scorpions for raising the bar for all of us. The short list of clubs that chose to stay in the ring and attempt to slug it out with the Scorpions have benefited greatly. You can see vast strides of improvement in the level of play of those clubs. Now we have true competition which will raise the bar even higher. If you are running a club now you have to make the decision if you want to be in it for the long term and join the ranks of this short list of clubs. I am sure that you'll take your lumps, but if the goal of your club is developing top level lacrosse players then the path is obvious.
picknroll

Postby Retired Coach » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:26 pm

Indeed, congratulations to the worthy champions in all three divisions. They have raised the bar with dignity.

Congratulations as well to the four U15A teams, three U13A teams, and four U11A teams who finished with a sub .500 record.

Each of these teams is to be applauded for playing hard every week.

They honor the game and challenge us all to be better despite the fact they didn't see a clear path to a championship.
Retired Coach

Previous

Return to General Youth