Youth Scheduling for 2011

Re: Youth Scheduling for 2011

Postby picknroll » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:22 am

That's an easy problem to solve. You can always cap max games. CIF HS has a 20 game regular season cap. NCJLA could go with a 15 or 16 game cap for youth. That would be reasonable. I've had too many Sat/Sun youth weekends myself. That's what's really tough on the kids, especially when there are two quality opponents. At least CIF plays Tue/Fri. If we have a couple more weeks and spread the games a little better, I think it would actually improve some of the burnout and fatigue factor instead of making it worse.
picknroll

Postby chmdave » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:10 pm

Sounds good to me Pick...15 sounds about right...but then somebody needs to enforce it...
And then we're back to what exactly is the NCJLA? You've been around long enough to know there are 68+ different answers to that question.
chmdave
2nd Line
2nd Line

Postby hansel » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:12 pm

The NCJLA meeting was held today and they have set the 2011 schedule. The game schedule can begin the last weekend of February with the Finals being the weekend after Memorial Day for youth A divisions.
As much as we all give the NCJLA board, etc grief, todays meeting was long but really well run and Dave, if you ask your rep who was at the meeting, I think she'll tell you there were pretty clear answers.

Also, as much as your team played 17 games and were done in early May, one of the other teams up there played 18 games including 3 playoff games, one played 15 games including 1 playoff game and one played 13 games and no playoffs. Your high level of games with no playoffs seems to be not felt by the other clubs near you.
hansel
1st Line
1st Line

Postby bay.bird » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:52 pm

Pick – missed you today. The slide show looked like an eye chart from where I was sitting. Did I read that you are not returning to the board?

Despite all the negativity you hear, it’s reassuring to sit in that room today with the dozens of men and women that put in a tremendous amount of time every year with the goal of improving youth lacrosse. It was a long day but it’s good to see everyone that devotes so much time to the game they love.

I’m just about over this topic, but I’ll give the dead horse one last kick:

Starting the regular season on the weekend of 02/27-28 this year and ending it the weekend of 05/21-22 allows for 21 available dates to play games. I took out two weekends (spring break conflict) and Mothers’ Day. Imagine being able to get a max number of 15 games in and having 6 other weekend days for other activities. That’s many 1 game weekends for many families. I suspect this would be received well by most parents. Usually if you want 15 games you have to play nearly every Sat and Sun. Additionally, this would allow for flexibility that our current calendar does not (rescheduling rain outs, etc.).

Last season there were 187 boys teams in the U15, U13 and U11 divisions. Since only A divisions are holding playoffs, this would allow for 163 teams to finish their season on either 05/21 or 22. 24 teams (8 U15A, 8 U13A and 8 U11A) would move onto the quarterfinals played either 06/4 or 5. 12 teams would move onto the semi-finals the following weekend. You could hold the semi and finals the same day. We’ve done this in the past. This would wrap up either 06/11 or 12.

Under this proposal the teams that make the finals would play a maximum of 18 games. I think that’s reasonable.
bay.bird
Practice Player
Practice Player

No playoffs in 15B and 13B?

Postby PLCFan » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:03 am

No playoffs in 15B and 13B?.... Is that right?
That would be a shame. We had some very good competitive team playing in the B division playoffs last year.
We should give teams that do not field A team like Monterey, Fair Oaks, Napa, and Santa Cruz something to play for.
PLCFan
1st Line
1st Line

Postby SkylineCoach » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:54 am

PLC, it wasn't mentioned at the Delegates' meeting on Saturday, but we did spend quite a bit of time on that at one of the summer workshops. This was still when Blake was Boys' Director, but I didn't hear anything from John or Nora that indicated the plan would change.

The difference between C & B end-of-season play is the difference between a 'festival' and a 'jamboree'... with some definite tournament feel to the latter.

C teams play a festival. Basically, a whole bunch of teams show up in the same place and each one gets a couple games against teams they probably didn't have a chance to face in the regular season. Fun, fun, fun, buy a t-shirt, go home tired.

B teams, though, will be grouped into 'flights' of 8, based on regular season record. Top 8, second 8, etc. Each flight then plays a 1-day, single-elimination tournament. Lose & go home. Win, play again. Win 3 and you're the champion of your flight. Win 3 in the top flight and you're a legit B-league Champion.

I think its a great solution for the B level of play for several reasons. First, it adds a couple weekends for regular games in mid-May, and as we all know getting B level players (who don't normally have the tournament / tryout / etc. opportunities A players have) extra games is the best way for them to get better. And it steals those weekends from time previously dedicated to playoffs - meaning where it used to be 1 game in a weekend for just a few teams in the division, we now have 1-2 games potentially for every team in the division. Secondly, B teams definitely have something to play for all year, not just in the playoffs. Every week, you're fighting to stay in the top flight. And Lastly, a 1-day tournament with a meaningful Championship is a very satisfying way to end a lacrosse season - whoever wins last does it in front of the whole community.
SkylineCoach
NCLF MVP
NCLF MVP

Postby PLCFan » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:04 pm

Skylinecoach,

Thanks for the explanation.
That sounds like a great solution to the B division!!

Thanks for the update.
PLCFan
1st Line
1st Line

Postby picknroll » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:05 pm

bay.bird wrote:Pick – missed you today. The slide show looked like an eye chart from where I was sitting. Did I read that you are not returning to the board?

Despite all the negativity you hear, it’s reassuring to sit in that room today with the dozens of men and women that put in a tremendous amount of time every year with the goal of improving youth lacrosse. It was a long day but it’s good to see everyone that devotes so much time to the game they love.

I moved on from the NCJLA Board in 2009 to focus more time on coaching and club administration.

I agree that we are really lucky to have a tremendous group of people working as NCJLA Board members and delegates. There are so many great people in youth lacrosse working to make this a great sport for the kids! Really, really great group of people. We are so diverse in both geography and size that everything becomes somewhat of a compromise and thus there's never a perfect solution for all, but from my experiences with the NCJLA I do believe that there is a sincere effort to find solutions that are best for the kids (all of them).

Good luck to the NCJLA Board and Delegates for this 2011 season.
picknroll

Previous

Return to General Youth