Sundays at the Bladium

Sundays at the Bladium

Postby chmdave » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:40 pm

I see where All West is taking their fall ball concept indoors for U15 and U13 starting in September.
I think it's a great idea and long overdue. I guess the question I have is just how competitive do the coaches expect it to be?

I'm thinking it's a great forum for our kids to play once a week, improve their skills and have cheeseburgers and Root Beer with their opponents...

Perhaps there are others amongst you who want to take it a bit more seriously...I hope not but I'm interested in your thoughts...
chmdave
2nd Line
2nd Line

Re: Sundays at the Bladium

Postby picknroll » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:03 pm

Is that a trick question? :)

BTW, there's been a youth fall indoor league in the Bladium for a long tme. My kids played there for many years. It just wasn't part of the Dinni (now All West) program.

Also there's a bar in the back of the Bladium. More than root beer is available :)
picknroll

Postby chmdave » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:38 pm

Well...I guess we might as well keep score then... 8)

Bar in the back huh...hmm...
chmdave
2nd Line
2nd Line

Postby laxin94526 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:29 am

If the report by "Chmdave" is correct that Matt Ogelsby has taken over the youth league at the Bladium, then I would expect good things to come this fall. There has been a youth league playing at the Bladium since 2005. Mario did an awesome job in the early years and had some high quality kids showing up each Sunday to play indoor. Originally, there were two grade divisions (7th grade and 8th grade) and each group had 4 teams. Due to several factors, last season the league shrunk down to only 2 teams in each grade division. I would expect that with Matt's experience and contacts within the local lacrosse community, this league will get back to a higher number of players and will be very competitive. As a coach, I can see the improvement in skills that comes from playing indoor. Many of the current stand outs of high school lacrosse (including all league and all american) players can be traced back to this league in 2005 and 2006 (see some of the old posts within this forum). I like the idea of using age specific leagues and think the U13 & U15 programs will be ideal. I look forward to seeing my old freinds at the Bladium on Sunday's starting in September.
laxin94526
NCLF MVP
NCLF MVP

Postby picknroll » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:56 pm

From what I've heard Matt is looking to have 8 each in a U15 and U13 league for a total of 16 teams. Format is same as HS league in Bladium where teams enter from their clubs (Scorps, So Marin ,etc) and bring their own coaches. Sounds good.
picknroll

Postby laxin94526 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:05 am

The All West Lacrosse U13 & U15 indoor league is a "GO" for this fall. I'm hearing rumor that the other league that was held at the Bladium will not be having any games this fall. So if you want to play some indoor lacrosse (and improve your game), get to the All West Lacrosse Camps website and sign up. If your youth club is not fielding a team or has to many players already signed up, I understand you can contact Suzie at All West and sign up as an "at large" player and you will be placed with another team. I personally like mixing up the players and not having 'club specific' teams. The boys get to meet and play with other guys during the fall and make some new friends. Besides improving your game, making new friends is the best part about fall lacrosse. I will be there on Sunday's, with my whistle and stripes ready for action.
laxin94526
NCLF MVP
NCLF MVP

Postby picknroll » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:50 pm

There's also a Box Lacrosse Academy youth league at the Dry Ice Hockey Arena in Oakland this fall. That's an expansion from the San Josse Silver Creek league. I think there might be some cross play between Oakland and San Jose teams. Lots of options. Good to see the growth in indoor.

My boys played on mixed teams in the fall for years, but last year I ran a fall team with only boys from my spring club team. For me that was the best. The team was filled with attack players and the box experience really helped in getting them to play well together. We were a bit suspect on the defensive end though :) Mixed teams are fun too, though. My boys have a bunch of Scorpion friends from those mixed teams. I went to a few EBAL HS games last year where you could see the PLC and Scorpion youth players sitting together in the stands (or playing catch together at the end of the field). That was cool.
picknroll

Return to General Youth