Bay Area Super Series on Memorial Day Weekend

Bay Area Super Series on Memorial Day Weekend

Postby picknroll » Wed May 26, 2010 5:11 pm

I'm gearing up for the Bay Area Super Series this weekend. This ambitious event is a three-day box lacrosse extravaganza at the Sliver Creek Sports complex in San Jose featuring 24 youth teams in three age divisions (U15, U13, and U11). Big kudos to Shaydon Santos for pulling this one off. It looks like a great lineup of teams! I hear that the NCAA Final Four games will be shown on the big screens at Silver Creek. This is sort of a big Memorial Day lacrosse party! I look forward to seeing all the players and coaches down in San Jose.

Each team plays round robin in their division on Sat, Sun and championships are Mon AM.

U15 (10 teams)

Division 1
Monterey Tribe 1
Petaluma River Cats
Knights
Pleasanton Thunder
Pleasanton Tornados

Division 2
Monterey Tribe 2
West Valley Red Hawks
Red Devils
Team Talon
Rude Boys

U13 (8 teams)

Division 1
South Valley Chiefs
Petaluma River Cats
South Bay Crusaders
Pleasanton Monsoon

Division 2
Livermore Phantom
West Valley Red Hawks
Firehawks
Pleasanton Hurricanes

U11 (6 teams)

South Bay Crusaders
Rage
Walnut Creek Warriers
Coyotes
Heat
Petaluma River Cats
picknroll

Re: Bay Area Super Series on Memorial Day Weekend

Postby Domer » Wed May 26, 2010 7:50 pm

Also, there are individual team shooting clinics with John Grant, Jr.
Domer
3rd Line
3rd Line

Postby picknroll » Sun May 30, 2010 9:42 pm

I've been hanging out all weekend at the Bay Area Super Series. What a cool event! There were five simultaneous games running from early morning to late night. There was even an "adult" division with lots of college guys out there. There hasn't been an event like this since the old Morgan Hills Braveheart days. Great to see so much participation in this event!
picknroll

Postby SkylineCoach » Mon May 31, 2010 9:36 pm

LOL Pick, I guess I'm finally an "adult" then, if I get to play with the college kids :lol: While Skyline only had a couple of kids in the tournament here & there, we had 8 coaches suited up in the senior division. Guess what kinds of skills we're planning to emphasize next season?

Shaydon runs an amazing program and this weekend's event was like nothing else I've ever experienced in California Lacrosse. Between playing, coaching, watching, meeting, and generally being involved in the game here for almost 30 years, it seemed like every 5th person was an old friend and 4 out of 5 were familiar faces. Couldn't think of a better way to spend a weekend.

Say Hi next time, yeah?
SkylineCoach
NCLF MVP
NCLF MVP

Postby picknroll » Mon May 31, 2010 11:58 pm

What a Memorial Day Weekend of lax!

This AM I filled my vehicle with four weary teen-aged boys heading down 680 for our 5th box lacrosse game in three days. This would be our final game of the 2009-2010 season and game #42 by my count (including summer ball, fall ball, preseason tourneys, spring season, and postseason tourneys). We played a Redhawks team with some really good talent and had a fun competitive game.

We finished the game with a great box lacrosse tradition that I've come to love this weekend. After each game the two teams stand in a line facing each other at midfield and present an MVP medal to a player on the opponent's team. After each game I huddle with the players and we talk through the most deserving player and then go line up and present the medal. I absolutely love this aspect of this tourney. On this final game the boys picked Parker Whims on the Red Hawks, which was not a real surprise as I've watched "big Whims" for years at both the Red Hawks and Bellarmine. "Little Whims" is certainly following in those footsteps as an outstanding player. The boys seem to genuinely appreciate getting these awards. One of my own boys got an MVP from the Monterey Tribe last night and I could tell it was really meaningful to him to be recognized by your opponent. This is one tradition that we could learn from in field lacrosse, especially youth lacrosse.

There was some great lacrosse under one roof. After my game I wandered over to catch a bit of Team Talon playing Petaluma for the U15 championship. Team Talon is mostly the same boys as the U15 National Team and there are just some amazing skills on that team. I'm sure that they are going to represent Nor Cal well. Petaluma put together a scrappy team comprised of JV players from Casa and Petaluma High together with a few youth Rivercat players. Shaydon allowed age-eligble freshmen to play U15. Like most of the boys at this event, these Petaluma boys seemed to be genuinely having a good time. I chatted with a couple of those boys who were relatively new to the sport, but really jazzed about the weekend event. These Petaluma guys were scrappy, but in the end they were no match for Team Talon - but that really didn't matter much. This weekend was about a bunch of kids coming together to play a sport that they all love - from from Nor Cal's finest (Team Talon) to some 9th graders up in Petaluma who just found this great sport. Just like Skyline coach I seemed to run into an old friend everywhere I turned - which was great.

Next myself and a few boys cheered on our assistant coach who was playing in the adult game. That was fun for our boys and another aspect of this tourney that I liked. The games spanned from U11 to adult so virtually anyone could play.

The last lacrosse of this event for my boys was a shooting clinic by John Grant Jr. the offensive legend who has an MVP in both the NLL (pro box lacrosse) and the MLL (pro field lacrosse). John kept 'em cranking for the better part of an hour and provided some valuable tips.

We finished up our clinic just as the NCAA championship was getting under way. Silvercreek is about the best set up ever for a sports fan. We went to the restaraunt in the center of the place to watch the NCAA championships. The beautiful thing about that restaraunt is that it sits right on one of the fields. There is full glass wall and play is literally coming right up to you. I kept one eye on the Pleasanton U11 team and the other eye on the Duke/Notre Dame game - a really cool way to watch lacrosse!

After cheering on the Pleasanton boys we moved on to the giant screen TV to watch the 4th quarter of the NCAA championship game. Again this turned out to be a good place to hang out with some old coaching friends. That OT game winner was one for all the long poles of the world! My own LSM was at the game live. That had to be exciting for him! It was sure exciting for me at Slivercreek.

All in all this was just a wonderful weekend to end our season. I saw old friends from So Marin, Livermore, Danville, Firehawks, Crusaders, Red Hawks, Petaluma, and made a few new friends along the way. Just a tremendous sense of community from a lot of really nice people. And SkylineCoach I'll definitely run you down next time. If Shaydon is able to pull off an event like this again, let's get out and support it! This was just great for Nor Cal lacrosse!
picknroll

Postby picknroll » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:17 am

Mark you calendars for Memorial Day weekend. The Bay Area Super Series will return again for 2011 - in an expanded format.

This year the tournament will span both the Silver Creek Sports Complex (5 indoor fields) and Morgan Hills Soccer Complex (11 outdoor fields). This will be a "hybrid" tournament with teams playing both indoor and outdoor.

I also understand that an elite "A" box division is being added. Invitations are out to some Canadian "A" level teams to make the trip down to play at Silver Creek. Several NLL "junior" teams are also being invited, such as the Junior Stealth (now in Washington). The hope is for the Cali*Lax All Stars and last year's Super Series U15 Champ, Team Talon, to compete at the "A" level against these Canadian and NLL Junior teams. This is an ambitious undertaking, but sounds like huge fun. Like last year the NCAA championships will be played live on big screens at Silver Creek, further reinforcing the "hybrid" themes.

Don't worry about having to face one of those Canadian box teams if you bring your field team to the tournament. There will be a division for the regular club teams that sign up. It's a little bit for everyone.

One of the hightlights for my team last year was the team clinic with John Grant Jr. For anyone that followed the World Championships last summer, Grant was that Canadian attackman who was virtually unstoppable on the Canadian national team. He gave my team an excellent shooting clinic. This year Grant returns along with clinics from Colin Doyle, Max Seibald, and Brett Queener. Seibald set the world record with a 110 MPH shot at the 2010 MLL All Star game. Doyle is one of the top box players in the world and was my favorite Stealth player before they moved on to Washington.

It's exciting that we are seeing these type of events in the Bay Area. The Super Series was a great way to cap off the season last year. It's a really fun venue!

I'll update as I hear more.
picknroll

Postby PLCFan » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:31 pm

Isn't the NCJLA season going past Memorial Day this year?
I believe Playoff/Championship weekend is the week after Memorial Day? Am I wrong?

If it is the case, I'm not sure how much participation you are going to get if the teams are practicing for the playoffs.
PLCFan
1st Line
1st Line

Postby picknroll » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:01 pm

Good point. I'm not sure if the organizers are aware of that change. I'll pass on that info. Thanks.
picknroll

Postby SkylineCoach » Sat May 28, 2011 6:13 pm

2011 Super Series began today with field lacrosse games at the Morgan Hill soccer complex. Tons of teams out - U11 through High School, and plenty of variety. Intact Club teams, hodgepodge teams of players whose coaches know each other, teams up from Los Angeles, down from Canada... Watched a U11 team from Petaluma, one from Manitoba, one from Ross Valley, one from LA. Saw U13s from BC, LA, and Pleasanton. My son's put-together U15 team (the Rude Boys, mostly RedHawks with a couple key Walnut Creek Warriors and singles from elsewhere) took on a Cali*Lax Midgets team and a Crusaders-based team, and won both. Couple lacrosse vendors, good food stands (always love the taco truck), and a very long line at the Mango smoothies wagon. Queener, Shaydon, Booth, D'eeG, and a bunch of celebrity coaches working the crowds and making themselves totally available to chat, have a catch, give a tip, or talk story.

Tomorrow, the indoor play begins at Silver Creek Sportsplex. All ages have a first game that's the 3rd (including their 2 field games today) of qualifying into flights. Then a 2nd game for each team tomorrow will be the first of either Championship or Consolation rounds. Games continue Monday, with Quarters and Finals in each age group. Breaks to watch the NCAA final on Monday (WOW - Rob Emery starting for VA! ) and tons of lacrosse all around.

The next couple days will be some of the most fun lacrosse we have around NorCal all year. Unless you really have something better to do, get yourself down to the 'plex, have a pizza or a burger and a (root)beer and find some kids whose careers you want to follow. My money's on Parker Whims of the Redhawks/Rude Boys. Long, fast, and smooth, this kid will be very fun to watch in High School.
SkylineCoach
NCLF MVP
NCLF MVP

Return to General Youth