2010 NCJLA Playoffs

2010 NCJLA Playoffs

Postby picknroll » Mon May 03, 2010 3:19 pm

Preliminary seedings were announced today. Final seedings will come out after next Saturday's games.
There's an 8 team playoff in each division (U15A, U15B1, U13A, U13B1, U11A). The U11A seeding is not out yet.

U15A
1. Diablo Scorpions
2. Firehawks
3. S. Marin Wolfpack
4. Pleasanton Thunder
5. Central Marin
6. Ross Valley
7. Walnut Creek
8. West Valley
9. Petaluma

U15B1
1. Santa Cruz
2. Pleasanton Tornados
3. Fair Oaks
4. Monterey
5. Napa
6. Phantom
7. Diablo Stingers
8. Town
9. Stuart Hall

U13A
1.Diablo Scorpions
2. South Bay Crusaders
3. Novato
4. Walnut Creek
5. Pleasanton
6. Town
7. Ross Valley Grizzlies
8. Stuart Hall
9. S. Marin Wolfpack
10. El Dorado Hills

U13B1
1. Diablo Stingers
2. Town Blue
3. South Valley Chiefs
4. Pleasanton Monsoon
5. Ross Valley Grizzlies
6. Town White
7. Coyotes
8. Davis Knights
9. Diablo Venom
10. Central Marin
picknroll

Re: 2010 NCJLA Playoffs

Postby frieders3 » Mon May 03, 2010 6:29 pm

Interesting that Fair Oaks was seeded lower than Pleasanton in the U15B1 since they just beat them on Pleasanton's home field this past weekend.
frieders3
1st Line
1st Line

Postby picknroll » Mon May 03, 2010 9:01 pm

frieders3 wrote:Interesting that Fair Oaks was seeded lower than Pleasanton in the U15B1 since they just beat them on Pleasanton's home field this past weekend.

You've got a point there. I think head-to-head is further down on the list of criteria. Pleasanton must have rated higher on the other criteria.

One thing I will say about that Pleasanton Tornados team is that they are doing an outstanding job playing against the top teams of most of the opposing clubs. If you look at the list of 9 teams seeded U15B1 teams there only 2 of those clubs field U15A teams - Pleasanton and Diablo. I've helped coach a U15B1 team before and let me tell you it is EXTREMELY difficult to take your club's B team our and beat the top teams from other clubs. Heck, they are in there with Town's top team and Town won U15A last year! There's some tremendous talent on the Santa Cruz, Monterey, and Livermore teams too.

Huge shout out to the coaching effort for these Pleasanton and Diablo U15B1 teams. Really impressive.
picknroll

Postby gosflax » Tue May 04, 2010 1:38 pm

picknroll wrote: "You've got a point there. I think head-to-head is further down on the list of criteria. Pleasanton must have rated higher on the other criteria."

It would be helpful, in the interest of transparency, to understand what the criteria are, and how they're weighted. Would probably easy concerns/anxieties all around.

Thanks.
gosflax
Fan
Fan

Postby hansel » Tue May 04, 2010 5:50 pm

The criteria as communicated by the age group commissioners and can be found at the NCJLA website under "documents" and then "Boy's Playoff Structure"
From U15:
Criteria for NCJLA U15A/B1 Boys Playoffs

In order to qualify for the playoffs, teams need to have played a minimum of 10 games and have played each team in their division. The conference champions in each division will receive an automatic bid to the playoffs. However, automatic bids do not guarantee any specific seeding. Team selection for playoffs and seeding will be based on a combination of the following criteria:

A. Overall record
B. Strength of schedule
C. Conference record
D. Head-to-head against top common opponents

Also very interesting and eerily accurate are Picks Power Rankings 2010 posted on this website from April 29.
hansel
1st Line
1st Line

A

Postby gosflax » Tue May 04, 2010 8:49 pm

Thanks for the explanation. Appreciated!

I'm not sure the current seedings weigh the relative strength of the divisions. For example, in U-15 B-1, teams from the East Division (Pleasanton, Phantom and Diablo, seeded 2, 5 and 6, respectively) have a combined non-division record of 9-7 (no games v. A teams, 4-6 v B1 teams, and 4-1 v B2 teams). Teams from the North Division (Fair Oaks and Napa, seeded 2 and 5, respectively) have a combined non-division record of 3-3 (0-3 v A teams, 3-0 v B1 teams). Teams from the West Division (Santa Cruz, Monterrey, Town and Stuart Hall, seeded 1, 4, 8 and 9, respectively) have a combined non-division record of 10-5 (4-4 v A teams, 6-1 v B1 teams -- the sole loss by Stuart Hall to Napa 6-5 @ Napa). The teams from the East have an average seeding of 4.3 (2+5+6/3). Teams from the North and West have average seedings of 3.5 and 5.5, respectively

Interestingly, Pleasanton, seeded No 2 overall, is 1-2 v teams from the West having a combined division record of 4-16. Those same teams from the West are 0-8 v the seeded teams from the West. By my reckoning, looks like Pleasanton would be middle of the pack in the West, at best. Diablo is 0-1 v. teams from the West, having lost to a team in the bottom half, and Phantom played no teams outside the East! It's non-league record is 4-1, all against B-2 teams.

That would suggest to me that the teams from the East are seeded much higher than merited (and Pleasanton is wildly over-seeded -- have to agree with frieders3 on that one), and the teams from the West (in particular) and North (to a lesser extent) are being short-changed.

Hopefully, this data will be considered in the final seedings.
gosflax
Fan
Fan

Postby gosflax » Tue May 04, 2010 9:06 pm

Sorry to go on, but

Pick's 4/29 Ranking for U-15 B-1 (with results v seeded teams from 5/1, 5/2)

1. Monterrey
2. Santa Cruz
3. Fair Oaks (beat Pleasanton, away)
4. Stuart Hall (lost to Santa Cruz and Town, away)
5. Phantom
6. Town (beat Stuart Hall, home)
7. Pleasanton (lost to Fair Oaks, home) (also lost to Coyotes, 2-3 in the West)
8. Diablo (lost to Napa, home)
9. Napa (beat Diablo, away)

v.

Current Seedings
U15B1
1. Santa Cruz
2. Pleasanton
3. Fair Oaks
4. Monterey
5. Napa
6. Phantom
7. Diablo Stingers
8. Town
9. Stuart Hall
gosflax
Fan
Fan

Postby picknroll » Tue May 04, 2010 9:11 pm

I think "strength of schedue" means games up or down. For example A vs A wins count more than A vs B1 wins and so on. They wouldn't penalize any B1 team that plays up to A and gets a couple of losses. I don't think that they try to compensate for one conference within a division being weaker or stronger than the other. Just guessing though.
picknroll

Postby gosflax » Tue May 04, 2010 9:14 pm

[quote="picknroll"] I don't think that they try to compensate for one conference within a division being weaker or stronger than the other. Just guessing though.[/quote]

That's a shame, when the data is this convincing.
gosflax
Fan
Fan

Postby bigwayne » Wed May 05, 2010 3:58 pm

gosflax wrote:
picknroll wrote: I don't think that they try to compensate for one conference within a division being weaker or stronger than the other. Just guessing though.

That's a shame, when the data is this convincing.

Pleasanton is definitely way overseeded. They lost to the Coyotes early in the year and the Vipers just this week. These teams are solidly in the bottom half of the West division.

The guidelines state that being conference champion does not affect seeding, but it sure looks like it was counted that way. Any objective review of the results will put Monterey ahead of both Fair Oaks (who they beat 14-6) and Pleasanton (who got beat by Fair Oaks). Monterey has a better overall record at 8-2, has a stronger schedule, and has the edge in head to head. Possibly the seeding was done before this past weekend's games got entered because Fair Oaks beating Pleasanton should have pushed them ahead combined with their better overall record, especially if you consider one of their losses is to an A team where Pleasanton does not have an A team on their schedule.
bigwayne
Practice Player
Practice Player

Next

Return to General Youth