Str column

Str column

Postby bigwayne » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:52 pm

In the NCJLA standings for this year, there is a column heading "Str" which would
seem like it is related to Strength. It's obviously not SOS or strength of schedule
as some teams have a 0 rating. It does seem to correlate to wins in some way as
the teams with more wins have a higher Str score.

Does anyone know what this column is and how it is calculated?

Also, the playoff seeding/selection scheme is posted as:

A. Overall record
B. Strength of schedule
C. Conference record
D. Head-to-head against top common opponents

Does anyone know how the SOS will be calculated and if Overall record is all games or
just games within the team's same level?
bigwayne
Practice Player
Practice Player

Re: Str column

Postby picknroll » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:40 pm

I was wondering the same thing about the "Str" thing. I don't have a clue what that means.

Historically the NCJLA has looked at # of A wins versus B1/B2 wins in SOS consideration. Wins within the A division carry more weight in the seedings that B1/B2 wins. On the flip side a B1 team that has played and lost to several A teams may get a higher seeding in the B1 playoffs than another team with a better record that played only other B1 teams. I've never seen a formal SOS calculation. At least that has been the prevailing thinking in previous years. Lots of things seem to be changing though so there may be more to that "SOS" criteria.
picknroll

Postby backdoor » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:16 pm

I've looked at that several times trying to find some pattern. I can't find anything. I think it is supposed to be "strenth" but it is way out of whack if it is. I think this is a job for picknroll. We need some linear analysis. Actually, it's probably not linear, but you know what I mean?
backdoor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby picknroll » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:54 pm

Ok, door you've got me going now. One of my hats is "web master" of our clubs League Athletics site (same folks that do the NCJLA site). I used (abused) my web master account to open up a trouble ticket asking for an explanation of this mysterious "Str" column :) I'll post the answer when I get it back, unless they laugh off my "trouble" ticket.
picknroll

Postby picknroll » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:45 am

Here's the reply from League Athetics:

Strength of Schedule creates a cumulative total (using whatever method you are using to calculate Standings - i.e. Points, Percentage, # of Wins) of opponents that a team has beaten. The Higher the total, the stronger the schedule.

Using my decoder ring and this explanation I believe that the number in the "Str" column represents the cumulative total of the winning percentage of conference wins for a team. For example:

Pleasanton U15A had conference wins so far over Skyline (.40 team), Lamorinda (.33 team), and Elk Grove (.00 team). The "Str"for Pleasanton U15A = 40 + 33 + 0 = 73.

This seems like a dumb statistic:

1. Only conference games are considered. Those are non-discretionary. Everyone has to play everyone in their conference. The real measure of the strength of schedule comes from the non-conference games that a team schedules.
2. Only wins are considered. Gives you no credit for scheduling and losing to a good team.
3. You get double credit for playing multiple games inside your conference instead of scheduling strong non-conf games. If Pleasanton were to play "home and away" with the three teams above and win again then the "Str" rating would double and go to 146. That doesn't make any sense. I am not sure why playing those teams twice would make the schedule stronger. They at least need to make it the average winning percentage to make the calculation reasonable.

Basically it's a meaningless bit of minutia on the NCJLA site that give us something to post about and waste time :) Hopefully no one is actually paying attention to this statistic.
picknroll

Postby backdoor » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:55 am

I figured it was something like that. Not useful. For high school, LaxPower has more useful SOS rating, however it's based on your opponents average PR. Good if you believe in the PR, and much better than League Athletics, if you don't. LaxPower doesn't use SOS in the power ratings though.
backdoor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby bigwayne » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:10 am

Thanks for checking on that. Seems pretty meaningless for the way this league is set up. Would actually be even more meaningless if you added non-conference games and kept the scoring as winning percentage because you would get less credit for beating an A level team with an average winning percentage than beating a B2 team with a great record.
bigwayne
Practice Player
Practice Player

Return to General Youth