Age level (or definition) should mean true age level

Re: Age level (or definition) should mean true age level

Postby Jersey47 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:55 am

Sky- Please understand... I'm not trying to "pick a fight" here. I think your comment about a coach in favor of this idea not having a "player's overall best interests & personal development as a top priority" really struck me the wrong way. I took the comments far too personally. I'm sure that like me, you and several others have given much back to this game in time, finances, etc. There is NOTHING I want more as a coach (and mentor if you will) than for a player to develop to their fullest potential, not only as a lacrosse player, but a person as well. I apologize if the ardent defense of my position offended you in any way. You, Pick and I have been on the same page over a few other issues in the past, and now perhaps we don't see eye to eye on this issue. No big deal. The whole "topic" was just my opinion on the subject to begin with, and I certainly do not mean any disrespect to anyone here for having a different point of view. My goal was to get a discussion (or a debate even) going regarding what I feel is a very "worthwhile" topic. I know these boards are going to be full of people's opinions. I appreciate the people on here sharing their insights and opinions. That is what makes this forum what it is... a forum. Again my apologies for coming across as overzealous.

What may seem absurd to some of us may be logical to others - depending on your area and circumstance (and thus where you stand depends on where you sit).

Pick- Thank you. In that one sentence you have summed up what I have been trying to convey all along. I do believe that involvement as more than an occasional poster to this forum is warranted at the NCJLA level by not only myself but other Club's as well. As the saying goes "... if you don't vote, don't complain". To be very "open" about this, I was using this forum to gauge what kind of support/opposition this idea had among the general populace.
Jersey47
3rd Line
3rd Line

Postby Jersey47 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:04 pm

Backdoor, I am not sure what situations you have seen the NCJLA allow someone to play down. In my tenure on the Board we never approved such request unless there was a "special needs" player involved.

Just an FYI

(Copied from the NCJLA Board Meeting Minutes from 2/17/10 http://files.leagueathletics.com/Text/D ... /16986.pdf )

RE: Minutes of NCJLA Board Meeting 02.17.10

III. Age Exceptions: Several cases came to the BOD for review.
a. Request by Redding: Motion: To allow a 14 year old to play U-13. TS
made motion MP seconded. Passed 5-2, DA and RS voted no.
b. Request by Monterey: Motion to allow a U-15 9th grader to play down to
U-15. TS made motion. MP seconded. Passed 6-1, RS voted no.
c. Request by Petaluma: Motion: To allow a 14 year old girl to play down
to U-13. MP made motion, JD seconded. Passed 5-2, Da and RS voted
no.
Jersey47
3rd Line
3rd Line

Postby picknroll » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:36 pm

Jersey47 wrote:
Backdoor, I am not sure what situations you have seen the NCJLA allow someone to play down. In my tenure on the Board we never approved such request unless there was a "special needs" player involved.

Just an FYI

(Copied from the NCJLA Board Meeting Minutes from 2/17/10 http://files.leagueathletics.com/Text/D ... /16986.pdf )

RE: Minutes of NCJLA Board Meeting 02.17.10

III. Age Exceptions: Several cases came to the BOD for review.
a. Request by Redding: Motion: To allow a 14 year old to play U-13. TS
made motion MP seconded. Passed 5-2, DA and RS voted no.
b. Request by Monterey: Motion to allow a U-15 9th grader to play down to
U-15. TS made motion. MP seconded. Passed 6-1, RS voted no.
c. Request by Petaluma: Motion: To allow a 14 year old girl to play down
to U-13. MP made motion, JD seconded. Passed 5-2, Da and RS voted
no.

Thanks. I left the Board in Sep '09 so I don't know about those. You probably need to know the details of each situation (which are not public) to understand the votes. I would imagine that there were special circumstances around all three of these. The NCJLA Board usually takes a hard line on allowing players to play down.
picknroll

Postby backdoor » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:28 pm

Well, then, it seems that the league DOES allow 9th graders to down in special circumstances. I would also assume, like Pick, that there are special circumstances in these cases, and for good reason, were allowed.

I would argue that if a 9th grader that has no opportunity to play at his high school and doesn't have club team to play for, that this could POSSIBLY be a special circumstance. Assuming he's not physically or skillfully superior, blah, blah, blah.
backdoor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to General Youth