Illegal stick check

Re: Illegal stick check

Postby quickstick » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:50 pm

No they can not. The difference between a 1 minute and 3 minute penalty is whether the stick can be fixed. Too short 3, pinched 3, pocket 1.
When I make a great play it is because my opponent made me do so.
quickstick
All Star
All Star

Postby picknroll » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:58 pm

So a middie brings the ball down and dodges through a series of checks that should have dislodged the ball but didn't. He gets all the way to the goalie who slides on him. Then the middie dumps off to an attack for an open net goal. The opposing coach then calls a stick check on the middie and the ref determines that the stick is illegal. The ball won't come out. So even though the illegal stick set up the attack's goal, it is not waived off? I'm not questioning what you are saying, just clarifying so that I am sure I understand the rule. I didn't think the goal could be waived off either, but that doesn't entirely make sense if the use of the illegal stick leads to a goal by another player.
picknroll

Postby quickstick » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:17 pm

The goal counts the middie stick creates a 1 or 3 minute penalty. From the NCAA rule book under the category of goal not counted:

j. When the scoring players crosse is found to be illegal, after the goal but before the next live ball.

p. When the player who scored a goal adjust his crosse after the referee has asked to inspect it, provided play has not restarted since the goal was scored.

I do not believe the NFHS rule book varies from this, but not sure.
When I make a great play it is because my opponent made me do so.
quickstick
All Star
All Star

Postby lamo lax » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:32 am

In NCAA they would waive all goals scored by the player with the stick, but I don't know about in youth. A player on my team recieved a 3 minute for having too short of a stick. They didn't waive any of his goals except for the one he had just scored. But, at the time my team was losing by 14 goals, so the ref might have just decided it wasn't worth taking away goals when the result was obvious.
lamo lax
Practice Player
Practice Player

Postby Cliff Buck » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:53 pm

picknroll wrote:Situation I've always wondered about ...
A team scores a goal and then the opposing coach calls for a stick check on a player that did not score the goal. If that guy's stick (the non-scorer) is illegal is the goal waived off? I wouldn't think so, but I'm not sure.

NFHS page 50,
5.4 Situation H: A1 scores. Before the next whistle, Team B head coach requests an equipment inspection on A2...
Ruling: Even if the crosse is found to be illegal, the goal counts. A2 serves a one or three minute non-releasable penalty.

lamo lax wrote:In NCAA they would waive all goals scored by the player with the stick, but I don't know about in youth. A player on my team recieved a 3 minute for having too short of a stick. They didn't waive any of his goals except for the one he had just scored. But, at the time my team was losing by 14 goals, so the ref might have just decided it wasn't worth taking away goals when the result was obvious.

The same is true in NCAA AND there is no provision to waive off ALL goals scored with by a player found to have an illegal crosse.

NCAA page 62,
A.R. 9. A1 scores. Before the next whistle, Team B's head coach requests an equipment
inspection on A2, the player who fed A1 for the score. RULING: Even if the crosse is found
to be illegal, the goal counts. A2 serves a one- or three-minute nonreleasable penalty, if the
crosse is found to be illegal.
Cliff Buck
1st Line
1st Line

Postby picknroll » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:28 am

Thanks, Cliff. Great research!
picknroll

Previous

Return to General Youth