Illegal stick check

Illegal stick check

Postby PLCFan » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:13 pm

Pick,

I saw the post about the illegal stick call in the U15 game ....

Can you explain how the process works?
Can the coach of the opposing team tell the ref to check someones stick? or is it random.

Is the penalty a 3:00 min un-releasable or can point be taken off?

Thanks
PLCFan
1st Line
1st Line

Re: Illegal stick check

Postby picknroll » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:13 pm

A coach can ask for the officials to check the stick of an opponent during any dead ball situaion. Coaches usually ask for the check after a goal. If the stick is illegal then the goal is waived off and a penalty is also assessed. If a coach suspects that one of the opposing players is playing with an illegal stick, it's usually a good time to ask for the stick check after that player scores. It's not something that you do often, but I have requested one stick check this season after an opponent dodged through numerous checks without losing the ball in route to a goal. Sometimes it's just great offensive skils, but in this case the stick turned out to be illegal. The ball did not come out of the stick after the refs turned it upside down. The goal was waived off. I would never ask for a stick check except when an offensive player is dodging everyone without losing the ball. I consider it bad form otherwise and a delay of game. I also only request a stick check if it makes a material difference in the outcome of the game. If I were winning or losing by a wide margin I would never call a stick check. That's just etiquette though. A coach can legally ask for a stick check any dead ball. I don't know if there is any rule about a coach abusing stick checks. You'd need a ref to answer that.

There are also random stick checks, usually on the quarter breaks. The penalty is not always 3:00. i've seen 1:00 illegal stick calls also, but again you'd need a ref to explain the difference. I probably should know the difference, but I do not.
picknroll

Postby PLCFan » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:29 pm

Thanks for the info Pick!!
PLCFan
1st Line
1st Line

Postby SkylineCoach » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:12 pm

Pick, that's a great response. I agree 100%.

I believe the 1 minute ones (which I've never seen waive off a goal) are for more accidental problems like the ball sticking in the back side of a stick after a face off bends an otherwise-legal stick sideways, or a butt-end tape job comes off. Little bit subjective, with some of the best kind of experienced-ref game control coming into play.

And to put it more bluntly than you did - to call for stick checks when you're up or down by a wide margin, or when you're just mad that a good player is running through your checks, or when you're out of timeouts and need a breather, is just poor sportsmanship and obvious bush league coaching. Some newbie coaches are tempted to use every tool in the box... but self-restraint is also an important skill to learn.
SkylineCoach
NCLF MVP
NCLF MVP

Postby backdoor » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:50 pm

I believe the difference between a 1 and 3 minute penalty has to do with the intent. If the ref deems the stick was intentionally altered , it would be a 3 minute. Like if it's pinched and doesn't meet the dimension requirements. If it's too deep, or maybe a sidewall string is keeping the ball from rolling out, that would be a 1 minute.
backdoor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Grizz » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:35 am

. . .or a short stick has been cut too short. On the 3 minute non releasable, the stick has to stay out of the game. On the one minute penalties, such as the pocket is too deep, the stick may be made legal and put back into play.
If its worth doing, its worth abusing.
Grizz
Forum Father
Forum Father

Postby backdoor » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:40 am

Or if it's PINK. Out for the game.
backdoor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby numbersman » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:51 am

one other thing to note - if the referee calls for a stick check and the player touches the strings in any way (i.e. punches the pocket out or touches the shooting or other strings), it will generally be an automatic 1 minute penalty. This one is a tough one since the kids sometimes absentmindedly start poking at their pocket when the ref calls for a stick check.
What if the hokey-pokey IS what its all about?
numbersman
NCLF All American
NCLF All American

Postby picknroll » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:57 pm

Situation I've always wondered about ...

A team scores a goal and then the opposing coach calls for a stick check on a player that did not score the goal. If that guy's stick (the non-scorer) is illegal is the goal waived off? I wouldn't think so, but I'm not sure.
picknroll

Postby PLCFan » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:05 pm

I have another question similar to Pick's

If player "A" scores in the 1st quarter, then in the 2nd quarter a stick check is called on player "A"(either ref's random or coaches request).
Can they call off or take his point off from the 1st quarter?

Thanks
PLCFan
1st Line
1st Line

Next

Return to General Youth