U13A games first week

U13A games first week

Postby PLCFan » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:24 pm

Some surprising scores from this weekend.

2/27
S. Marin Wolfpack B13A vs. South Bay Crusaders B13A
6 to 15

2/28
Ross Valley Grizzlies B13A vs. South Bay Crusaders B13A
3 to 10
S. Marin Wolfpack B13A vs. South U13A>Stuart Hall Lions B13A
7 to 7

Very strong showing from the Crusaders.
Crusaders didn't even field a 11A team last year....
I know its just the first week.. but looks like the South Division with Firehawks , Crusaders, Stuart Hall and Town will be just as strong as the North and East.
PLCFan
1st Line
1st Line

Re: U13A games first week

Postby chmdave » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:39 pm

The Crusaders have a nice team run by a class operation...

That said...do you mind if we go another month or so before we start handing out medals???
chmdave
2nd Line
2nd Line

Postby picknroll » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:49 am

Crusaders U13A beat the Firehawks 16-6. Big shout out to Andreas Guralas who is coaching this Crusaders team. Andreas is one of the true gentlemen of youth lacrosse coaches and generally just a great guy. Andreas had a big crew of his Crusaders in the Silver Creek box lacrosse league this fall. They were a really quality team and I saw much improvement in that team week over week. I am sure that off season work is paying off big this spring with the results that we are seeing from this Crusaders team. Like it has been said it is early, but now the Crusaders have together back to back wins against some of the top clubs in the NCJLA: So Marin, Ross Valley, and the Firehawks. That's quite a statement. This Crusaders team looks legit. It sure is good to see another quality team rise up from the South! It raises the competition and makes us all better.
picknroll

U13A Crusaders

Postby PLCFan » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:56 am

According to Piranha18 in the U15 National Team Thread:
The South Bay Crusader U13A team is a good example of a team that has done a lot together, including playing in the gold medal game at the youth indoor tournament in Canada last year. They are taking a team again this summer to compete with the goal of winning the tournament this time. As a result of that dedication and commitment, they are the team to beat in the U13A division right now.

Looks like the Crusaders 13A have a bunch of kids that were on the Cali*Lax indoor box lacrosse team that went up to Canada last summer. I guess box/indoor is good training for field lacrosse.... I'm not sure it does much good for the Defensive player
PLCFan
1st Line
1st Line

Re: U13A Crusaders

Postby picknroll » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:40 am

PLCFan wrote:.... I'm not sure it does much good for the Defensive player

Box lacrosse is great work for a defensive player. Playing short stick develops the stick skills for your defensive players, which makes them much better at clearing and can also make your defenders a threat on transition. In professional lacrosse Eric Martin is one of the top defenders both as a long pole outdoors and as a box lacrosse player. Box is defintely a game for your long poles. I also think it's good work for goalies to play in the field in box lacrosse to develop their stick skills also.
picknroll

Postby DlaxDad » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:25 pm

I have to say as the father of a close defender whose game always seemed to me to be much better suited for the field game than for box, I'm absolutely converted to box as a great off-season training tool for every position. One of the things defending with a short stick does is it decreases your reliance on the extra stick length and makes you play basketball defense -- with your feet. Your footwork and positioning improves, because it has to. Same for midfielders -- box makes you work on body position, footwork, and cutting off the angles in a confined space. If you can defend one-on-one with a shortie, you'll be king of the hill when you take the field with the big stick.
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.
DlaxDad

Return to General Youth