U-15 NORCAL TRYOUTS

Re: U-15 NORCAL TRYOUTS

Postby LaxMom617 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:58 pm

Does anyone know?

How many players are there trying out for the u15 Festival teams, excluding the 62 going to National tryouts? I know 100 players applied for the National Team.

How will the 2 Festival teams be split up? Geography? Ability?

Thanks
LaxMom617

Postby Bay Area Lax » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:02 pm

Did anyone watch the tryouts today? How did it go?
Bay Area Lax
1st Line
1st Line

Postby luvlax » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:32 pm

National tryouts very competitive, as expected. The 8th graders and 7th, that do not make this have the opportunity to attend the 2nd tryouts for the Festival teams.
Festival tryouts were terrible. Way to many boys that should have not been there. I guess experience? Call backs will be posted on Tuesday and these boys will be evaluated with the left over from the festival boys. Expecting about 60 boys for 44 spots. Any goalies out there? Short on goalies today, lots of middies and a few did stand out. Good luck to all the boys that make it next week. Nor Cal will definitely field an amazing National team and 2 amazing festival teams.
luvlax
Fan
Fan

Postby Bay Area Lax » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:39 pm

luvlax wrote:National tryouts very competitive, as expected. The 8th graders and 7th, that do not make this have the opportunity to attend the 2nd tryouts for the Festival teams.
Festival tryouts were terrible. Way to many boys that should have not been there. I guess experience? Call backs will be posted on Tuesday and these boys will be evaluated with the left over from the festival boys. Expecting about 60 boys for 44 spots. Any goalies out there? Short on goalies today, lots of middies and a few did stand out. Good luck to all the boys that make it next week. Nor Cal will definitely field an amazing National team and 2 amazing festival teams.

This seems to be the case every year with too many kids. I don't want to turn away players from an awesome opportunity to tryout, but not everyone is travel team ready. I think it makes it really difficult for coaches to sift through players who maybe should not have been sent to the tryouts this year but after a season of work will be more prepared for the tryout next year. Just my 0.02
Bay Area Lax
1st Line
1st Line

Postby groundball » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:22 am

National team try outs were exceptionally competitive and the quality of play and effort was outstanding on all fronts. Additionally, the try outs were run with an almost military precision mixing multiple drills to showcase various individual and group skills with more team or group oriented stations. Considering that this was put together entirely by volunteers, the try out and process was incredibly well run and was a great showcase for NorCal lacrosse. Hats off to all of the people that made this happen as I have heard from a number of people that this was the best run try out that they have seen.
groundball
Fan
Fan

Postby PLCFan » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:03 pm

U-15 National Team Posted on NCJLA.org

http://www.ncjla.org/#86806

U-15 National Team Final Roster

by Blake Abbate posted 03/22/2010

G - Will Ernst* (University HS, Town, 2009 National team)
G - Cyrus Scott (So. Marin)
D - Riley Burke* (St. Ignatius, So. Marin, 2009 National team)
D - Ian Nuzum* (South Valley Chiefs HS, Red Hawks, 2009 National team)
D - Cole Steigerwald (Stuart Hall)
D - Aran Roberts (Scorpions)
D/LSM - James Harrison (Firehawks)
LSM - Doug Strazza (Scorpions)
M - Mikie Schlosser* (Davis HS)
M - Austin Cunningham* (Suffield Academy, Ross Valley, 2009 National team)
M - Connor Towne* (Bellarmine HS, So. Valley Chiefs, 2009 National team)
M - David Fleming* (St. Ignatius)
M - Spencer Evans* (St. Ignatius)
M - Joe Lang (So. Marin)
M - Sean Mayle (Firehawks)
M - Kodiak Adams (Firehawks)
F/O - Josh Wellman (El Dorado Hills)
A/M - Joe Reid (Petaluma)
A - Austin Colvin (Central Marin)
A - Rick Emerson (Scorpions)
A - Frankie Hattler (Firehawks)
A - Chris Hill (Novato)

We feel the try outs were very well run and fair. The evaluators were unanimous in their decisions. The evaluators were:
Cort Kim (2009 National Team coach)
Pat Brown (Novato, 2009 National Team Coach)
Matt Olgesby (All West Lacrosse)
Doug Appleton (Firehawks)
J.C. Reid (Petaluma)
Steve Lang (Southern Marin)
Chris Jaurique (Central Marin)
Todd French (Scorpions)
Mike Emerson (Scorpions)
Nick Mayle (Firehawks)
Chris Dean (Ross Valley)
Dave Grose (Ross Valley)
PLCFan
1st Line
1st Line

Postby picknroll » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:45 pm

There are 8 HS players and 16 NCJLA youth players.

Interestingly 15 of the 16 youth players are also on Team Talon.
picknroll

Postby laxtothemax96 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:16 pm

luvlax wrote:National tryouts very competitive, as expected. The 8th graders and 7th, that do not make this have the opportunity to attend the 2nd tryouts for the Festival teams.

I agree completely. I participated in the Festival team tryouts and I felt exactly the same way. It was very frustrating during drills when there would be a good pace kept up in the drill, and balls were being fired back and forth, and then people would drop great passes. No matter how crisp some of the passes were, some people had extreme difficulty hanging on to the easiest and most accurate of passes. This was frustrating and could end up reflecting poorly on the thrower of the pass, were really there was frequently nothing they could do. Lack of goalkeepers did provide a small problem in the clearing game, allowing for a successful ride/unrealistic clearing situation. I hope these kinks can be worked out, but overall the tryout process was decent. Thanks to everyone who helped out with the tryouts.
eat sleep lax.....well do some other stuff too.
laxtothemax96

Postby WestCoastLax » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:42 pm

The National team tryouts were sensational. They were exceptionally run and the level of play was amazing. I heard a number of people remark on how there were no bad players out there at all and they were right. The Festival tryouts figured to be a let down...many teams sent too many players, including a number of B level players. In theory, I can see you want everyone to have the experience, but realistically, if you can't make your clubs A team, then how do you expect to make a NorCal team?

Instead you have players who can't catch or throw at an A level taking up space and bringing down the other players around them.

It will be interesting to see the 8th grade players who play for the National team in Vail where the 9th graders are not allowed. I don't think they can play Vail and the Festival, so that could take 8 exceptional players out of the mix. Given the chance, you'd have to think the players would opt for Vail since it's a week long and includes the incredible Denver team camp.

Next few weeks will be very interesting for sure.

Great job all who volunteered their time for tryouts, as well as all the young men who have worked so hard to get to this level!!

NorCal lacrosse continues to get better and better!!
WestCoastLax
1st Line
1st Line

Postby Billax » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:54 pm

Hey Guys,
The forum's stated philosophy is to keep it positive. The same document says that we keep it kid-friendly, as many of our readers are youth players. The following quotes are not supportive:

"Festival tryouts were terrible. Way to many boys that should have not been there."

"I participated in the Festival team tryouts and I felt exactly the same way. It was very frustrating during drills when there would be a good pace kept up in the drill, and balls were being fired back and forth, and then people would drop great passes. No matter how crisp some of the passes were, some people had extreme difficulty hanging on to the easiest and most accurate of passes. This was frustrating and could end up reflecting poorly on the thrower of the pass, were really there was frequently nothing they could do."

"The Festival tryouts figured to be a let down...many teams sent too many players, including a number of B level players. In theory, I can see you want everyone to have the experience, but realistically, if you can't make your clubs A team, then how do you expect to make a NorCal team?

Instead you have players who can't catch or throw at an A level taking up space and bringing down the other players around them."

There are plenty of outlets for snarky comments and disparaging prose - but this forum isn't one of them. Please keep it positive and supportive. WARNED.
Sports don't build character, they reveal it. - Heywood Broun
Billax
Forum Father
Forum Father

PreviousNext

Return to General Youth