History of Nor Cal Youth Lacrosse

History of Nor Cal Youth Lacrosse

Postby picknroll » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:52 pm

Use this topic to contribute to the NCLF History of Youth lacrosse in Northern California. I'll update this post with champions. Also share your knowledge of teams, coaches, and player alumni.

NCJLA U15A/8A Medals
2009 Gold - Town School, Silver - Diablo, Bronze - So Marin
2008 Gold - Diablo, Silver - Walnut Creek, Bronze - So Marin
2007 Gold - Diablo, Silver - Pleasanton, Bronze - Lamorinda
2006 Gold - Diablo, Silver - Pleasanton, Bronze - Lamorinda
2005 Gold - Diablo, Silver - Town School, Bronze - So Marin
2004 Gold - ??, Silver - ??, Bronze - ??
2003 Gold - ??, Silver - ??, Bronze - ??

NCJLA U13A Medals
2009 Gold - Ross Valley, Silver - Pleasanton, Bronze - Diablo

NCJLA 7A Medals
2008 Gold - Pleasanton, Silver - Walnut Creek, Bronze - Diablo
2007 Gold - Diablo, Silver - ??, Bronze - ??
2006 Gold - Diablo, Silver - Lamorinda, Bronze - Pleasanton
2005 Gold - Diablo, Silver - Lamorinda, Bronze - Town School

NCJLA 6A Medals
2008 Gold - So Marin, Silver - Novato, Bronze - Firehawks
2007 Gold - Diablo, Silver - So Marin, Bronze - Town School
2006 Gold - Diablo, Silver - Walnut Creek, Bronze - ??
2005 Gold - Diablo, Silver - Pleasanton, Bronze - Lamorinda
picknroll

Re: History of Nor Cal Youth Lacrosse

Postby numbersman » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:51 am

found this post on the 2005 championship results waaaaayy back on the youth forum:

Boys Junior A
Gold Medal: Diablo Scorpion Kings A
Silver Medal: Town School Jr. A
Bronze Medal: Southern Marin Wolfpack Jr. A

Boys Junior B
Gold Medal: Walnut Creek Junior B-1
Silver Medal:: Monterey YMCA Tribe
Bronze Medal: West Valley Redhawks

Boys Junior 7th Grade Pure
Gold Medal: Diablo Scorpion Venom Jr. B
Silver Medal Lamorinda Crush Jr. 7th
Bronze Medal: Town School 7th Grade

Boys Pups A
Gold Medal Diablo Scorpion Kings A
Silver Medal: Pleasanton Hurricanes
Bronze Medal: Lamorinda Pups A

Boys Pups B
Gold Medal Diablo Scorpions Stinger B-1
Silver Medal: Skyline Lacrosse Club
Bronze Medal: Novato Gold Pawns

Boys Junior 5th Grade Pure
Gold Medal: Diablo Scorpion Venom Pups
Silver Medal:: Pleasanton Monsoon Pups
Bronze Medal: Walnut Creek Warrior Pups B2

Boys Pee Wee A
Gold Medal: Southern Marin Pee Wee A
Silver Medal: Diablo Scorpion Pee Wee A
Bronze Medal: Southern Marin Pee Wee 4-B

I also found this mixed in on some 2006 championship posts

Pups 6a
gold - Diablo
silver - WC

Pups 6b
gold - Burlingame
silver - So Marin

Pups 6c
gold - So. Marin
silver - WC

7a
gold - Diablo
silver - Lamorinda
bronze - Pleasanton

8a
gold - Diablo
silver - Pleasanton
bronze - Lamorinda
What if the hokey-pokey IS what its all about?
numbersman
NCLF All American
NCLF All American

Postby LaxDad » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:34 am

In 2003, the 7A Champ was Town School. They beat Diablo in the final.
LaxDad
NCLF MVP
NCLF MVP

Postby picknroll » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:51 pm

LaxDad wrote:In 2003, the 7A Champ was Town School. They beat Diablo in the final.

Was there really a 7A in 2003? I thought grade pure started in 2005. We had Junior (8th/7th), Pups (6th/5th), and Pee Wee (3rd/4th) first, then the 7A and 5A divisions got added. I thought 2005 was the first year of that.

Once we went to ages we collapsed from 5 divisions (8A,7A,6A,5A, PW) to 3 divisions (U15A, U13A, U11A) which was back where we started with Junior/Pups/Pee Wee.

Of course I may be wrong about 2003 as I was not involved in the NCJLA back then.
The more I practice the luckier I get.
picknroll

Postby P Faulkners Spirit » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:55 pm

Pete Faulkner

Any conversation about the history of youth lacrosse in the Bay Area has to begin with Pete Faulkner. Ask anybody who grew up on the mid-peninsula in the late 60s and early 70s and there is a good chance they knew, or at least knew of, Pete Faulkner.

Pete was an iconoclastic intellectual who dedicated himself whole heartedly to the development of lacrosse in the Bay Area. He founded the Stanford lacrosse program circa 1963 and founded the Palo Alto program two years later. Pete was, according to my recollection, the nephew of Nobel Prize winning author, William Faulkner. I believe he attended Princeton and afterward served in the US Air Force. He participated in the early astronaut development program and used to entertain us with great tales of his experiences therein. He later became a staunch opponent to nuclear proliferation and authored a lengthy tome on the subject titled, “The Silent Bomb.” He was a posthumous inductee and charter member of Nor Cal Chapter of the U.S. Lacrosse Hall of Fame, Class of 2005.

It was through Pete that I first learned about the game of lacrosse, around 1974. He’d roll up to Hillview School in Menlo Park in his overloaded, beat up station wagon with lacrosse gear protruding from open windows. Sometimes, he’d have a U-Haul in tow with even more gear. We had no leagues and we played mostly with each other. It was informal. It was a great time.

In addition to lacrosse, Pete was more widely known for the Summit Ski Club. He personally organized and provided oversight for countless weekend bus trips to the Sierras. I worked for Pete helping to put together those ski trips, and it was during that time I got to know him better. It was on those bus rides where Pete would entertain with history and his stories; he was a professional raconteur.

You can talk about Scorpions winning championships here, and Firehawks on the rise there… but it all started with Pete. He cut the trail.

I am, as you might surmise by my handle on this forum, somewhat biased. It is my homage to a man who made a positive difference in my life and the lives of countless kids on the Peninsula more than thirty years ago.

My lacrosse career never went much further than those days at Hillview. But today I coach the game Pete first taught me. Paying it forward; paying it back.
P Faulkners Spirit

Postby picknroll » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:00 am

Great story! Thanks for contributing.
picknroll

Postby LaxDad » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:08 pm

Picknroll, you may be right. Since Town's teams were grade based at the time, the team was all 7th graders. The tournament was played at the Alameda Naval Air base. Town came into the tournament with 2 losses. One to Diablo and one to Southern Marin. By the luck of the draw, Southern Marin had to play Diablo in the semis. I mention this because Southern Marin knew how to beat Town. Put Spencer Kaplan man up on Parker Brown. He was the only defender in the Junior ranks who could defend him one on one. Any way, Diablo beat Southern Marin and came into the championship game very cocky. Town had a very big, athletic team but not a lot of true lax skill. They went out and put it to the Scorpians physically and Parker Brown went on a scoring binge. I believe the final score was 13-3. A great coaching job by Mike Shannon.
LaxDad
NCLF MVP
NCLF MVP

Postby LaxDad » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:19 pm

Picknroll, you were right. I found the medal that was given to the players. 2003 Junior Boys B Champions. So Town's 8th grade played in Junior Boys A and the 7th grade played in Junior Boys B.
LaxDad
NCLF MVP
NCLF MVP

Postby Billax » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:38 pm

I just received an email from Kelly Quinn. He was reminiscing about Lamorinda teams and had a few data points to add. Here are Kelly's comments:

2005 7th Grade Pure

Championship Game - Diablo (coached by Martin Wenzel) defeated the Lamorinda Crush (coached by Kelly Quinn) 10-6 (?). Offensive go-to-guys for each team: Diablo - John Glessner (De La Salle/West Genesee, NY); Lamorinda - Billy Baird (Loyola - Blakefield, Md). Both of these young men have committed to the United States Military Academy at West Point next year. Both will play Lacrosse for Army. Best moment of the game - Lamorinda sending out giant Defenseman, Ryan Bullen (Acalanes) to take the opening face-off against Glessner, possibly the only one that Lamorinda won in the entire game!

Consolation Game - Town School defeated Pleasanton (coached by Rory Manley?) by ? The Pleasanton team was very good that year, losing to Lamorinda in the Semi's in OT. Lamorinda's Jordan Myers (Miramonte) picked-off a Pleasanton pass, starting a fast break which led to a blistering shot by Kaid Collins (De La Salle) to end the game.

2004 Pups B

Championship Game - Lamorinda B1 (coached by Kelly Quinn) defeated Town School 10-5. Standout Lamorinda players on offense - Jordan Myers (Miramonte) and CP Perella (Campolindo). The game ball went to Logan Quinn (Acalanes)....the team's Goalkeeper!

Consolation Game - Lamorinda B2 (coached by Bill Baird) defeated Diablo (coached by Sam Greason) 6-5 (?) in OT. Standout Lamorinda players on offense - Billy Baird (Loyola - Blakefield, Md) and Kaid Collins (De La Salle).
Sports don't build character, they reveal it. - Heywood Broun
Billax
Forum Father
Forum Father

Postby picknroll » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:49 pm

Billax wrote:Consolation Game - Town School defeated Pleasanton (coached by Rory Manley?) by ? The Pleasanton team was very good that year, losing to Lamorinda in the Semi's in OT. Lamorinda's Jordan Myers (Miramonte) picked-off a Pleasanton pass, starting a fast break which led to a blistering shot by Kaid Collins (De La Salle) to end the game.

Coach Manley coached the Pleasanton 6A team in 2005, not the 7A team. That 6A team had Mitch Flaherty, Gabe Garcia, and Ben Krebbs - not too shabby.

I believe that the Pleasanton 7A coach in 2005 was Don Dutcher, another oustanding contributor to youth lacrosse!
picknroll

Next

Return to General Youth