U15A February Face-Off Tournament

U15A February Face-Off Tournament

Postby San Francisco » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:36 am

The Southern Marin Wolfpack will host seven U15A boys teams, Ross Valley, Novato, Pleasanton, Diablo, Firehawks, Lake Oswego (Oregon) and the Encinitas Mustangs, at their annual February Face-Off Tournament.
Saturday, February 6, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Sunday, February 7, 8:30 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
Gold and Bronze Medal games will face off simultaneously on Sunday at 12:30 p.m.
Marin Catholic High School, rain or shine
675 Sir Francis Drake Blvd., Kentfield, 94904

Lacrosse for LIFE will have a booth in the Vendor Village to collect used boys and girls lacrosse equipment. They have a particular need for goggles. Please consider recycling your lacrosse equipment by donating it to Lacrosse for LIFE at the February Face-Off on Saturday.

Admission to the February Face-Off is free.
San Francisco
Fan
Fan

Re: U15A February Face-Off Tournament

Postby numbersman » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:51 am

you might want to post the request for goggles on the women's high school or girl's youth forums as well.
What if the hokey-pokey IS what its all about?
numbersman
NCLF All American
NCLF All American

Postby 94941 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:05 am

Great day at Marin Catholic HS on Saturday for U15 A Boys and Girls getting the pre-season rolling. Scores based on memory, should be pretty close:

So. Marin 12 v Ross Valley 5 - SM started out strong going up 4-0 early then looked more preseason like and RV more settled; score was 7-4 starting 4th.
Encinitas Mustangs 8 v Pleasanton 6 - good game, SD had many of their Palm Springs players
Firehawks 12 v Novato 3 - Novato was in it early but Firehawks have too much depth and wore them down
Diablo 14 v Lake Oswego 1 - tough one for visitors, Diablo looks like they've been playing a bit
Ross Valley 8 v Mustangs 4
So. Marin 9 v Pleasanton 2
Firehawks 6 v Diablo 5 - lot's of Nor Cal bags on the track behind the benches; Firehawks went up 3-0, Diablo came back and was in it to the end
Lake Oswego 7 v Novato 3

Today:

So. Marin v Mustangs and Novato v Firehawks @ 8:30
Pleasanton v RV and Diablo v LO @ 9:30

Challenge games @ 11

1 and 3 Place games @ 12

Girls had So. Marin, Diablo and Novato playing round robin with a shooting clinic.

Great day for Lax in Bay Area!
Practice Player
Practice Player

Postby picknroll » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:06 pm

Encinitas Mustangs upset So Marin in opener this AM (and they were sure excited).
RV and Pleasanton played to 6-6 tie (no OT in this tourney).

That's all I saw before leaving to go catch the Super Bowl.

Big thanks to the So Marin folks for putting this event on. Top notch! Great to be out there playing with great teams.
picknroll

Postby WestCoastLax » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:52 am

Had a chance to watch a lot of action this weekend at the very impressive event the people from Southern Marin put on. Great job So. Marin!!!!!!
Thoughts for NorCal based on what I saw...
**Firehaws and Scorpions are above everyone else in the NCJLA to be sure. Both have tons of talent and play very well together. Highly enjoyed watching their game Saturday afternoon. It's great to see lax played at that level. I really like the aggressive counter attacks put forth by the Scorpions defense, using that speed out of the back.
**Firehawks are the total package -- defense, midfield, attack and goalie..a joy to watch. Where do you start with this team. They have top notch players at every single spot on the field and the coaching to put it all together. One thing I would like to see is no more discussion of the bringing in of players from other cities...It's done, get over it and let's play lacrosse!!
**Scorpions -- Just loaded with their defenders and the midfield -- too many great players to list them all, but a pleasure to watch them move the ball around the field. Biggest defense in the area to be sure and as is the case with the Firehawks, top notch coaching to back up the talent level. If they get consistent play in the pipes, this team will make a run to the title.
**Southern Marin -- hard to get a good perspective here. Sometimes they look great, other times, not so much. That being said, this team certainly has the base to be among the elite. How fun is it to watch Joe Lang play!! Like the coaching and what this team can bring to the table.
**Ross Valley - another up and down team. I think they lose to Pleasanton if the Pleasanton goalie doesn't get a questionable penalty call on a hit in front of the crease. Pleasanton leading 3-1 when he goes out, trailing 5-4 when he comes back. But this team always seems to play very well at the end of the year and does a nice job of moving the ball around. Did not seem like there was much depth in the defense.
**Novato - didn't get too much of a chance to see them play, but heard their goalie broke his thumb in a game, so not sure where that will leave them. Also, asked here last week, but I didn't an answer -- did Novato lose a couple of pretty good players to Central Marin? There's good size here and remember how good this team was two years back, so I think they will be a force.
**Pleasanton -- talk about a confusing team. Hurt by defender Connor Veit not playing last weekend. Still the defense certainly is good enough to keep them in any game, but it seemed like their offense was no where to be found. When I was watching, the little guy in the goal (Josh Miller) was really good. Jamirr Holland may be the most exciting player to watch in the NCJLA. Don't count this team out.
Last edited by WestCoastLax on Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WestCoastLax
1st Line
1st Line

Postby Domer » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:47 am

I think if more Jimmys stayed home we'd have more A teams and more parity in the league. The theory that this is about competition is false. This creates less competition as all the top players funnel to just a couple of power clubs. Will the Firehawks play the Scorpions every weekend?

While it may be true that Jimmy has to display some patience with teammates that aren't up to his level that is actually a very good life lesson and those teammates benefit tremendously. Jimmy still has travel teams and elite camps to get away from the newbies.

Sorry, I think this is a real issue and not one we should just say is done and we should forget about. It's not the end of the world but I think it is a real issue and one that those with authority should debate and consider.
Domer
3rd Line
3rd Line

Postby picknroll » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:53 am

Nice analysis, Westcoastlax. Does anyone have all of the Sunday results?
picknroll

Postby 94941 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:15 am

Sunday Finals:

Lake Oswego played Ross Valley in a pick up game at 11 - not really a 5th place game, and I don't know the result, but a nice opportunity for the OR team to get a 4th game in before leaving town.

Diablo 8 v So. Marin 5 for 3rd place Medal - So. Marin went up early then succumbed to preseason status, with ground balls and penalties giving Diablo a chance to take control at the end. 6-5 to start the 4th period. Medal games are played as a "real game" eg standard NCJLA game timing and rules.

Firehawks 13 v Mustangs 5 - Mustangs were in it early but Firehawks keep coming and as noted here, are loaded. Minimal drop off with their 2nd and 3rd lines and strong clearing, speed, shooting, passing, etc.

Should be interesting to see where things wind up for U15s this season!

San Diego and Lake Oswego are planning to come back to this tournament next year, and So. Marin hopes to hold it at this same location again. Also hoping to get a few more girls teams to participate on the Saturday leg. We want to recognize all the Clubs who attended as being excellent sports, playing hard and clean, taking care of your team areas, obeying parking rules, managing siblings and pets, etc. This took a lot of effort on So. Marin's part to pull this off - club admin, parents, coaches, and kids as well. We plan to continue with this for U15s, but it would be great if other clubs would step up and do this for U13 or U11s. So. Marin will share all logistics that we've learned doing this for 3 years to any who are interested! Hint - find a soccer parent who has been involved with weekend tournaments and use that as your blueprint...
Practice Player
Practice Player

Postby picknroll » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:46 am

Domer wrote:I think if more Jimmys stayed home we'd have more A teams and more parity in the league. The theory that this is about competition is false. This creates less competition as all the top players funnel to just a couple of power clubs. Will the Firehawks play the Scorpions every weekend?

While it may be true that Jimmy has to display some patience with teammates that aren't up to his level that is actually a very good life lesson and those teammates benefit tremendously. Jimmy still has travel teams and elite camps to get away from the newbies.

Sorry, I think this is a real issue and not one we should just say is done and we should forget about. It's not the end of the world but I think it is a real issue and one that those with authority should debate and consider.

1. The goal is excellence not parity.
2. There's more top-tier NCJLA U15A teams this year than ever. For years the Scorpions dominated everyone. How many undefeated U15A seasons did they have? This year I believe there are 7 teams that will be competitive with each other: Firehawks, Scorpions, So Marin, Ross Valley, Novato, Petaluma, and Pleasanton. The Scorpions are not backing up either. They are as good as ever. The field of quality teams is widening - especially from the North. We've never had a deeper group of U15A teams. I don't know if this year's top team will be any better than some of those previous Scorpion championships, but I am certain that the 6th and 7th place teams will be the best ever at those slots. We've never been this deep. This year #7 will have a legitimate chance to beat #1. We've never seen that before. We're way beyond a "couple of power clubs".
3. The geographic footprint of quality teams is widening. There's great lacrosse as far north as Petaluma. Into the Sac area, I think that the El Dorado Hills team is a sleeper this year and could easily come into the Bay Area pull some upsets.
4. This perceived concentration of "super teams" is really only an issue in the South. For years it seems like the goal of the South Bay teams was to win the B championship. Now the Firehawks have made it obvious that the are not playing for the B championship. They are raising the bar in the South just like the Scorpions did in the East (and all of NCJLA for that matter). Now it's up to the other clubs in the South to rise to the Firehawks level. If that doesn't happen the Firehawks will continue to be a magnet to attract talent in the South.

A couple of other observations ...

- Doug Appleton is an honorable guy and a fantastic coach. I understand why people want their kids to play for him. He's not breaking any rules. He's put together the top product in the south. I would imagine that kids are showing up wanting to play. Not sure how much "recruiting" is needed.
- The most important recruiting is finding the superior athlete in your own town, attracting them to the game of lacrosse, and teaching them the game. We have barely scratched the surface of talented athletes. Sure maybe you can grab a guy or two from your neighbor and get yourself a few more wins or even position yourself for a championship, but that's not a long term strategy for building a successful youth lacrosse program. It has to be organic. There's plenty of potential Nor Cal All Star players out there who have never picked up a stick. Go find those guys.
picknroll

Postby picknroll » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:09 pm

94941 wrote:Sunday Finals:

Lake Oswego played Ross Valley in a pick up game at 11 - not really a 5th place game, and I don't know the result, but a nice opportunity for the OR team to get a 4th game in before leaving town.

Diablo 8 v So. Marin 5 for 3rd place Medal - So. Marin went up early then succumbed to preseason status, with ground balls and penalties giving Diablo a chance to take control at the end. 6-5 to start the 4th period. Medal games are played as a "real game" eg standard NCJLA game timing and rules.

Firehawks 13 v Mustangs 5 - Mustangs were in it early but Firehawks keep coming and as noted here, are loaded. Minimal drop off with their 2nd and 3rd lines and strong clearing, speed, shooting, passing, etc.

Should be interesting to see where things wind up for U15s this season!

San Diego and Lake Oswego are planning to come back to this tournament next year, and So. Marin hopes to hold it at this same location again. Also hoping to get a few more girls teams to participate on the Saturday leg. We want to recognize all the Clubs who attended as being excellent sports, playing hard and clean, taking care of your team areas, obeying parking rules, managing siblings and pets, etc. This took a lot of effort on So. Marin's part to pull this off - club admin, parents, coaches, and kids as well. We plan to continue with this for U15s, but it would be great if other clubs would step up and do this for U13 or U11s. So. Marin will share all logistics that we've learned doing this for 3 years to any who are interested! Hint - find a soccer parent who has been involved with weekend tournaments and use that as your blueprint...

Thanks! What were the scores from the Diablo/Novato and LO/Firehawks games?

PM me and we can talk about a 2011 U13 tourney. I know some people interested in this.
The more I practice the luckier I get.
picknroll

Next

Return to General Youth