Big Under-15 tournaments

Big Under-15 tournaments

Postby WestCoastLax » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:28 pm

There are a couple of pretty impressive under-15 tournaments coming up the next two weekends.

This weekend brings the Southern Marin Face Off tournament, with six of the top NorCal teams, as well as one from Oregon and one from San Diego.

I think there's Southern Marin, Scorpions, Firehawks, Ross Valley and Pleasanton for sure in the event, as well as a couple of other NorCal teams. Should be great stuff as the Firehawks should be establishing themselves as the team to beat this year. Hopefully the weather will cooperate.

The next weekend has a smaller one in Danville with the Scorpions, Firehawks, Pleasanton and a team from Texas.

This will be great to see how the teams are faring in the early going for what should be the most loaded U-15/8th grade division possibly ever!

Good luck to all teams this weekend and I will try to see as many games as possible this weekend!
WestCoastLax
1st Line
1st Line

Re: Big Under-15 tournaments

Postby picknroll » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:00 pm

WestCoastLax wrote: Should be great stuff as the Firehawks should be establishing themselves as the team to beat this year.

Yes, the Firehawks should improve over their 4th place finish in U13A last year since they've added Nor Cal All Star players from the Coyotes and Monterey.
picknroll

Postby WestCoastLax » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:09 pm

They are good to be sure...not sure about their depth, but their front line is certainly loaded.....
WestCoastLax
1st Line
1st Line

Postby Domer » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:00 am

Yes, the Firehawks should improve over their 4th place finish in U13A last year since they've added Nor Cal All Star players from the Coyotes and Monterey.

Do you know if those were kids that moved to the Redwood City area or are they just commuting to play lacrosse?
Domer
3rd Line
3rd Line

Postby WestCoastLax » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:22 am

Communting...one from the Carmel area, the other from the South Bay
WestCoastLax
1st Line
1st Line

Postby Domer » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:50 pm

I realize there are private high schools that bring in kids from a wide geographic area in part because of the lure of their athletic programs but should this trickle down to youth lacrosse? It reeks of recruitment and poaching and compounds the NCJLA's lack of parity problem in my opinion. It makes me wonder that, if youth lacrosse participation continues to grow, should it be structured more like Little League (bad word, I know) where a kid has to live in a certain zip code to play for a given team?
Domer
3rd Line
3rd Line

Postby Talonplayer5#5 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:42 pm

I can partly awnser your question. I am the player comming from monterey the reason for that is that there is no A team. I disagree with the fact that zip code should restrict you. Its youth lacrosse reqruiting is not an issue i just wanted to play with more competition
Talonplayer5#5

Postby WestCoastLax » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:59 am

It would be nice to restrict players to their own area, but at the same time it's not fair to players from an area where there is either no A team or just a poor team to play on. I would love to see the Firehawks with only players from their area, but in the end, it's what's best for the kids. The two kids coming from outside the area (recruited) are good kids and as a team who will battling them all year, we wish them the best of luck!!
WestCoastLax
1st Line
1st Line

Postby Domer » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:00 am

TalonPlayer, I think it's great that you are seeking the highest level of competition. That says a lot about you and your desire to achieve. However, for the adults involved I think it's sad that grammar school kids feel they have to travel that far to compete. Are there no A teams closer to Carmel than Redwood City? There must be. Santa Cruz?, Chiefs?, Redhawks?

It's easy to justify a lot of unhealthy things behind a mantra of "what's best for the kids", but I think we need to be a bit more critical with that question. Is it really "best" to have a grammar school kid drive 3 hours back and forth for sports? Also, what about the 19 other kids in Carmel who lost their best player? Is that best for them? What about the kids in the league as a whole? Is it best for them to have all the A caliber players consolidate into a few power clubs?
Domer
3rd Line
3rd Line

Postby SkylineCoach » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:25 am

13 A is hardly "grammar school". Its probably 75% 7th graders and 25% 6th graders - all middle schoolers easily. And even the 6th graders are likely to be mature kids - playing A level is only partially about physical skills, the rest is all about how well kids pay attention, focus, learn, respect their coaches...

I wouldn't stress about this. Its just one part of the overall evolution of the sport in our area. There will be more & more A teams, more competition, more opportunities... and at the same time, sheer numbers and "mainstreaming" will also allow MORE participation & more access, not less. Heck, Diablo has 6 (!) U9 teams this year. They hardly need to play anyone else - 2 games against each other team and the kids all get a 10-game season. That's as close to a "rec-league" as I've ever heard of in west coast lacrosse. But why is it so popular out there? Because of success.

How many kids over the last 5 years played for the Scorpions when they "should" have played for another club because of where they lived? I don't know, but I'm guessing its a number greater than zero. And I do believe that Pleasanton, Walnut Creek, Lamorinda, and Skyline are all better because we wanted to compete and Diablo set the bar so high. And the net of that is that all of those clubs now offer A teams... and our kids can stay "home" to play at competitive levels.

In 5 years, the other clubs on the Peninsula will probably be thanking the Firehawks for setting the pace. Always better to be ahead of the curve than behind it.
SkylineCoach
NCLF MVP
NCLF MVP

Next

Return to General Youth