Box Lacrosse Academy Youth Indoor League

Box Lacrosse Academy Youth Indoor League

Postby picknroll » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:05 pm

The Box Lacrosse Academy at the Silver Creek Sports Complex in San Jose kicked off the fall season with an orientation on Sunday. League play will begin next Sunday (9/20).

There are three divisions of play: U15, U13, and U11. Each division follows the 2009 Spring age brackets for the NCJLA which makes the U13 and U11 divisions pure youth while the U15 is mostly HS 9th grade players.

The organization of the league is similar to the HS Box League at the Bladium with team registration. The U13 league has the largest participation which make sense as most of these players are 8th graders that will play U15 in the spring. In the U13 division there are teams registered that comprise players from the South Valley Chiefs, South Bay Crusaders, Monterey Tribe, and Pleasanton clubs. There's also a mixed team with mostly San Jose Vipers along with some individual registrants from other clubs. I also hear that the West Valley Red Hawks are trying to pull together a team, which would make 6 teams. Each team has a roster of 11 to 15 guys so there's pretty good numbers in the league. The U15 and U11 divisions are smaller with 3 or 4 teams each.

All games are played on Sunday at Silver Creek. The league has two fields for simultaneous play, which is nice. This Silver Creek complex is just amazing - brand new, huge, and state of the art. The schedule comes out this week. I'll try to post the schedule and some game results. I'd also like to get some game reports from some other forum members. I know that there are South Bay youth fans out there :)
picknroll

Re: Box Lacrosse Academy Youth Indoor League

Postby laxin94526 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:20 pm

Picknroll, please keep me informed on how things are going at Silver Creek with Shaydon's league. I heard many good things about his program last fall. How are the numbers looking? How many teams per age group and players per team? I'm very familiar with Silver Creek facility and it is impressive. It would be great if they were to open a similar facility up in this area (925 area code). Caberinet Sports has the right idea, just wish it was a little larger. By the way, the club sandwiches at the sports bar are AWESOME.
laxin94526
NCLF MVP
NCLF MVP

Postby picknroll » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:11 pm

Hey laxin94526,

Good to hear from you! I'll miss not getting to hang out with you at the Bladium this fall. The teams and schedule are supposed to be finalized this week for the Silver Creek league. I'll post once it is out and also post updates on the season. You are right about putting Silver Creek in 925 - somewhere near 580/680 would be perfect. Cabernet is nice but its a long way out 580 - almost to the Altamont, not very central to anything. I used Cabernet as an after school practice field a couple of times. It's a nightmare trying to get out 580 during the commute.
picknroll

Postby anayalax » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:41 am

Ironhead Lacrosse has teams forming right now at Cabernet. Cost is reasonable and on a Sunday when games are schedule there is no traffic to get there. From furthest part of Pleasanton maybe 20 minute drive.
anayalax

Postby picknroll » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:19 pm

Thanks anayalax!

Suggestion: start a new topic on Ironhead and give us good reports on this new league. Good luck and have fun!
picknroll

Teams by Division

Postby picknroll » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:32 pm

The teams were finalized today. There's 3 divisions: U15, U13, and U11. The age divisions go by Spring 09 ages so U15 can have 9th graders and most 8th graders (Spring 2010 U15) players are in the U13 division. A little confusing, but as long as we're playing lacrosse ...

Divisions look like this.

U15 - Three Teams
Thunder (Pleasanton)
Vipers (San Jose)
House Team (Mixed)

U13 - Six Teams
Chiefs [South Valley]
Redhawks [West Valley]
Crusaders [South Bay]
Tribe [Monterey]
Hurricanes [Pleasanton]
Vipers [San Jose + mixed]

U11 - Two Teams
Chiefs [South Valley]
House Team [mixed]
picknroll

Week 1 Schedule (9/20)

Postby picknroll » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:46 pm

U11
Chiefs vs House, 10:45 on Field 1

U13
Tribe vs Crusaders, 12:00 on Field 1
Redhawks vs Hurricanes, 12:00 on Field 4
Vipers vs Chiefs, 1:30 on Field 4

U15
Vipers vs House, 1:30 on Field 1
Thunder vs House, 2:45 on Field 1

I'm really excited about kicking off the season on Sunday. It should be fun. I scouted the teams a little bit on Sunday and there definitely looks to be some talent in this league. It's hard to tell how the teams will be since no one has a full roster from their field teams. Box is all about transition so I'm thinking that the teams that bring guys that can run will do well. We'll see on Sunday!
picknroll

U13 Standings - Week 1

Postby picknroll » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:26 am

boxla u13 standings.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
picknroll

U13 Week 1 Box Scores

Postby picknroll » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:29 am

bolxa vipers-chiefs.jpg

boxla redhawk-hurricanes.jpg

boxla tribe-crusaders.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
picknroll

Week 1 Comments

Postby picknroll » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:45 am

The Box Lacrosse Academy fall season kicked off this weekend. There was plenty of talent on hand and good lacrosse.

The first few weeks of indoor are always an adjustment, especially for those players that have never played. One of the biggest adjustments is the full-field play which opens up unopposed fast breaks, like basketball. Getting back on D is crucial so we "turn and burn". This is a different concept for field players, especially attack players, who are trained to ride aggressively on transition. Riding in box has more risk than benefit. I saw a lot of fast break goals this weekend. The players will figure out how to get back on D as the season progresses. Another big adjustment is the shot clock. Field teams that are used to playing a settled, patient offense simply run out of time with a 30 second clock. Crisp, quick ball movement is critical to get a shot opportunity in 30 seconds. My own team struggled with the 30 second clock and had many turnovers because of the clock. I'm sure we'll adjust to the pace of the game as the season progress.

Everything was well organized for Week 1. We had two refs on my game and the calls were good, although everyone is still adjusting to indoor rules. Looking forward to Week 2!

As for the teams, the Redhawks look particularly strong. They brought most of their U13A team, including a couple of U13 Vail players. They'll be tough to beat - good talent and good athletes.
picknroll

Next

Return to General Youth