Box Lacrosse Academy Youth Indoor League

Re: Box Lacrosse Academy Youth Indoor League

Postby picknroll » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:51 am

I went back and looked at the U13 regular season final Power Ratings for the teams in this box league. Here's what I found:

# TEAM RECORD RATING
3 Pleasanton Hurricanes - Junior A 15-1 106.87
7 West Valley Red Hawks - Junior A 7-3 102.22
9 South Bay Crusaders - Junior A 8-3 99.40
11 South Valley Chiefs - Junior A 5-4 98.40
17 San Jose Vipers - Junior B1 7-5 95.63
22 Monterey YMCA Tribe - Junior B1 8-3 94.11

Considering that there were 72 U13 teams, that is a pretty strong group of teams gathered for offseason! Of course the box variety of these teams varies much from the field teams as no one fields a full roster for indoor, but it still is great to see these teams competing in an indoor league. I am sure all of these teams and players will benefit from the offseason work.
picknroll

Postby picknroll » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:31 pm

anayalax wrote:Ironhead Lacrosse has teams forming right now at Cabernet. Cost is reasonable and on a Sunday when games are schedule there is no traffic to get there. From furthest part of Pleasanton maybe 20 minute drive.

There's an Ironhead topic now:

http://norcallaxforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2663

I understand that U15 is starting out there tomorrow. I'd sure like to hear a report.
The more I practice the luckier I get.
picknroll

Postby picknroll » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:23 pm

Today's U13 action at Silver Creek ...

Hurricanes over Tribe 13-6

Hurricanes
M MariaCui 5G 2A
T Heggelund 3G
C May 1G 2A
N Stivers 2G
E Carrolan 2G

Tribe
T Loper 2G 1A
E Tils 2G
B Martin 2G
J Margolis 1A

Redhawks over Chiefs 15-6

Redhawks
P Whims 3G 3A
A Roeckl 3G 3A
J Rodriguez 5G
N Cacas 1G 4A
B Wood 2G 2A
M Brine 1G
C Bunce 1A

Chiefs
K Sandvick 2G 2A
A Rippert 1G 1A
A Rippert 1G

Crusaders over Vipers 7-4

Crusaders
J Munroe 2G
S Jenab 2G
C Keane 1G 1A
B Gittings 1G 1A
A Kotas 1G
J Cassin 1A

Vipers
C Waller 2G
J Washington 1G
C Lucas 2A
picknroll

Postby picknroll » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:43 pm

After three weeks of play the U13 Standings:

Redhawks 3-0
Hurricanes 2-1
Tribe 2-1
Crusaders 1-2
Vipers 1-2
Chiefs 0-3

The Redhawks are looking really strong and have to be the early favorites, led by U13 Vail players Joe Rodriguez and Nick Cacas. The Redhawks were strong offensive team in field and the pace of the box game really fits their style of play. They are an athletic and agressive team that will be hard to beat.

The Hurricanes team from Pleasanton is making the transition to the box game after a rough opening week against the Redhawks. They've put up solid wins against the Tribe and Crusaders in the last two weeks. The Hurricanes and Redhawks get a rematch on 10/25. Matt Maria Cui is starring for Pleasanton with some spectacular offensive moves. Tor Heggelund is also having a big indoor season with back-to-back 3 goal performances.

I've been really impressed by the Monterey Tribe team. There's good talent and skills on that team led by U13 Festival players Eli Tils and Troy Loper. The Tribe stayed with the Pleasanton Hurricanes for a long time with the score being 5-3 midway through the game. The Hurricanes piled on the goals when the Tribe ran out of gas, which can happen in box, so the final score was not indicative of the game. The Tribe are a quality squad and Dale Tils has done a nice job with both this box team and the Monterey program in general.

All of the teams now seem to be getting into a groove and adapting to the box game. We start to see styles of the teams develop, which is fun to watch. The Redhawks were even running a X feeder with top cutters offense today, which is really unusual in the indoor game but was effective for them. It's interesting to see the evolution as the season progresses.

All in all it's a ton of fun to be playing in this fall indoor league. I really like keeping the teams together for the indoor season. Who'd have ever thought we'd have a lacrosse game between Pleasanton and Monterey in the middle of October? Cool stuff.
picknroll

Postby picknroll » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:10 pm

As my kids say, it's time for a "re-do". After 3 weeks Shaydon decided to make some moves to better balance this league. The Redhawks who were dominating U13 were moved to U15. The Vipers had trouble fielding enough players so this team was disbanded and the players were placed on the Chiefs and Crusaders to strengthen those teams. The end result is now a 4 team U15 league and a 4 team U13 league.

So our first three games now become a U13 "pre-season" that ended like this:

Redhawks 3-0
Hurricanes 2-1
Tribe 2-1
Crusaders 1-2
Vipers 1-2
Chiefs 0-3

Now the remaining U13 games are a double round robin between the remaining teams: Hurricanes, Tribe, Chiefs, and Crusaders.

After two weeks of this re-organized league the new U13 standings are:

Hurricnes 2-0
Tribe 2-0
Crusaders 0-2
Chiefs 0-2

By this point in the season the boys are picking up the box game well and have learned that the transition game can be killer. I'm seeing a lot more shot fakes to move the goalie. Lots of fun and lots of good players.
picknroll

Postby picknroll » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:49 pm

U13 Results Today:

Pleasanton Hurricanes 9, Monterey Tribe 5
South Bay Crusaders 10, South Valley Chiefs 9

Current Standings (Overall in parens)

Hurricanes 3-0 (5-1)
Tribe 2-1 (4-2)
Crusaders 1-2 (2-4)
Chiefs 0-3 (0-6)

Nice quality games today. Many assisted goals. Good offball movement and cutters. Defense is getter better and the games are more physical. No easy goals, which creates the need for good ball movement.

The Monterey team continues to impress me. I hope that they play U15A this spring. They are definitely good enough. The Tribe shows up with 13 or 14 guys every week and play hard all the way through every game. The participation level and their game play certainly has my attention. Well done, Tribe.
picknroll

Postby picknroll » Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:15 pm

U13 Today

Crusaders 9 Tribe 6
Hurricane 10 Chiefs 2

Current Standings (Overall in parens)

Hurricanes 5-0 (7-1)
Tribe 3-2 (5-3)
Crusaders 2-3 (3-5)
Chiefs 0-5 (0-8)

A much improved Crusaders team beat the Tribe today. There's a huge improvement in that Crusaders team from the beginning of the season. Last week they gave the Hurricanes a good game before losing 9-6. They could be one to watch going down the stretch.

Overall I see a tremendous improvement in stick skills and offensive creativity from the begining of this box season to today - on all teams and players. Lots of "hockey assists" (two passes) today. A couple of times the "one more" even faked me out. The ball movement and timing is really getting good. Big reminder of why we play box lacrosse in the fall. I'm sure that there will be dividend in the spring for the kids out playing box now.
picknroll

Playoff Info from Box Lacrosse Academy

Postby picknroll » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:41 pm

U13 Regular Season Standings
1) Hurricanes 6-0
2) Tribe 3-3 *
3) Crusaders 3-3*
4) Chiefs 0-6

Divisional Tiebreakers *see end of message below

U15 Regular Season Standings
1) Vipers 5-1
2) Redhawks 4-2
3) The Wild Bunch 2-4
4) Thunder 1-5

Championship Games
King Raffi" Nalvarian (of Mix 106.5 & Live 105 radio fame), 17-time winner of the "Best DJ" awards in both the Metro (San Jose & Santa Cruz) & Good Times reader polls and the guy that got the San Jose Stealth all fired-up will be rockin' the house down, shaking it to its soul, at the Box Lacrosse Academy's Fall League Championships!!!! So get your hair cut, stick restrung, grandma and grandpa out of bed and your game face on - it's time to rock!

U13 Championship Game Nov 22nd
Hurricanes (1) vs Tribe (2)
12:00-1:30pm Field 1

U13 Bronze Medal Game
Crusaders (3) vs Chiefs (4)
12:00-1:30pm Field 4

U15 Championship Game Nov 22nd
Vipers (1) vs Redhawks (2)
1:30-3:00pm Field 1

U15 Bronze Medal Game
Wild Bunch (3) vs Thunder (4)
1:30-3:00pm Field 4

*The following is the tiebreaking procedure for clubs having identical won-lost records at the conclusion of the regular season, to determine the order of finish and seeding within the league.

a) Head-to-head record during the regular season (best won-lost percentage in games between ti! ed clubs)

October 18 Tribe 14 Crusaders 4
November 8 Crusaders 9 Tribe 6

TIE

b) Goals for/goals (most net points) against in head-to-head match-ups.

Tribe 20 goals for
Crusaders 13 goals for
Tribe +7

TRIBE WINS
picknroll

Postby picknroll » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:54 pm

There was a good U13 game today between the Tribe and the Hurricanes. In a well played game from both teams the Hurricanes prevailed 9-6. The Tribe had great off-ball movement, breaking cutters to the goal every time they caught the Hurricanes ball watching. It's fun to see the improvement through the season in offensive creativity.

Here's the scoring for the game.

Hurricanes: M Maria Cui 2G/2A, C May 2G/1A, D Payne 1G/2A, B Heggelund 1G/1A, T Heggelund 1G, E Carrolan 1G, N Stivers 1A, C Fey 1A

Tribe: E Tils 2G/1A, B Martin 2G 1A, T Loper 2G, G Johnston 1A, A Prodis 1A, J Margolis 1A

These same two teams meet again next week for the U13 championship. It should be fun!
picknroll

U13 Championship - Hurricanes 7, Tribe 5

Postby picknroll » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:04 pm

Big kudos to Shaydon Santos for the Box Lacrosse Championship venue today. The Stealth announcer was on hand with his full sound system. The day started with individual player introducions with each boy coming through the back tunnel as the announcer gave player bios. Big fun!

The star of the game for the Pleasanton Hurricanes today was goalie Thomas Hankins. I don't have goalie stats, but the save count had to be in the 20 range. Hankins frustrated the talented Monterey Tribe trio of Eil Tils, Troy Loper, and Brendan Martin, three players who could star for anyone in the NCJLA (Tils and Loper are Nor Cal All Stars). Hankins is a Canadian transplant who shines in goal in box lacrosse. The stingy Hurricane defense and outstanding goalie play from Hankins held the potent Tribe attack to 5 goals.

Offensively the Hurricanes were playing without league leading scorer Matt Maria Cui. With their playmaker missing, the Hurricanes relied on teamwork and good ball movement to get 7 goals disributed among 5 players - Nick Stivers, Clint May, Eric Carrolan, Tor Heggelund, and Jason Sereda. Just enough to hold off the Tribe.

The game was tight throughout. After the first period the Tribe took a 3-2 lead. The Hurricanes came back in the 2nd period with 3 unanswered goals to take a 5-3 lead going into the 3rd and final period. The Hurricanes and Tribe each traded 2 goals in the final period.

The Hurricanes finished the season at 9-1, winning 9 straight after losing their opener.

All in all, it's been an excellent season of indoor lacrosse at Silver Creek. I see great improvement in all of the teams/players, both offensively and defensively. With no room to dodge, the boys must learn quick ball movement and the "two man" game. These are skills that will translate to the field game come spring. I'm sure that all the boys that played in this box season will be much improved field player.

Great job Shaydon!
picknroll

PreviousNext

Return to General Youth