2013 Travel Teams

Leagues, camps, and tournaments.

2013 Travel Teams

Postby laxlover » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:17 pm

New teams coming on board. Let's see if I can name a few of them. Hard to keep track of all them with new ones coming on board at a regular rate.

MADLAX: Looks like a good one. Lots of local tournaments and practices. Practices in the North Bay area. Very reasonably priced with chances to play on national teams and tournaments for talented players who get selected. Coaches look good, too.
http://california.madlax.com/
(updated URL because site was updated)

I see a couple of new travel teams listed at the Vitality Summer League. Vitality has a great idea of having HS level travel teams play each other in a summer league. I think the next step would be to have it at the Middle School and Youth levels. That would be a fantastic idea. Keep local MS and Youth teams here to play in local tournaments and league play. This greatly helps keep costs down while increasing practice and playing time for both players and coaches. What more can anybody want, right??

Six-Fifty Lacrosse (I assume this is for the South Bay)

Twin Cities Timbers

Devil Mountain

From my own personal observations and experiences, Norcal and the the West coast in general still has a long way to go to catching up with East coast lacrosse. One way to greatly help with lacrosse development is getting more players to play more lacrosse during the summer and fall seasons.
Last edited by laxlover on Thu May 02, 2013 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
laxlover
1st Line
1st Line

Re: 2013 Travel Teams

Postby sionjy » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:13 am

six fifty is a peninsula team, run by Matt Bond asst. coach at Menlo-Atherton, started up this past fall... seems to be more about pick up lax for local players

Twin Cities Timbers I believe is Corte Madera and started last summer/fall too

Other new ones:

Sacramento Aces: John Christmas' new team

Team ADVNC Sacramento: Sacramento version of Team ADVNC

Vitality Sacramento Team (no team name yet): ??? They are doing a few tournaments and have 12 practices...

I dont know if there are enough kids playing in Sacramento to demand four travel teams (Bandits up there too) but I am guessing it has a lot to do with the recent growth of the high school teams and parents with some expendable cash.
sionjy
All Star
All Star

Postby laxlover » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:59 am

I think it is also because Sac players and parents are getting tired of driving all the way out to the bay area just for practices. I feel for them and they deserve their own local travel teams. Lax is definitely starting to spread in the Sacto/Stockton area. Eldorado Hills youth teams have been doing well lately so this is a good sign their skill level and number of players are increasing. They are still behind the Bay area but they are improving steadily which is great.

There are other Sacto travel teams: Ryquin and Sacto Heat, which appears to be no longer there. I believe that one was related to Charlie Jackson, ex-Chico State coach who went to SDSU.

http://www.ryquin.com/Lacrosse.html (I think they are related to Jesuit HS coaches)

BTW, Bandit appears to be related to Bella Vista HS coaches.

I think travel teams in general will be more region (East, North, South Bays, Sacto) and neighborhood-based (for youth). They may also be HS-based. Currently, many teams are made up of kids from all over the Norcal area, but as the desire to stay closer to home and the number of players and talent level increase, travel teams will mostly be like Spring league teams and HS teams. This makes sense since players, coaches and parents want to stick together as they grow up and go to the same high schools. I think this is one of the key factors in growing lacrosse and improving the talent levels across all age groups. So Cal is already doing this with the Adrenaline network of teams. Many of their teams have been playing together since 4th grade, and it shows.
laxlover
1st Line
1st Line

Postby sionjy » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:22 pm

I believe sac heat is gone.

Ryquin is actually Rio City (the club team) and is coached by the former Jesuit coach from 2011 season, they get two or three guys from Jesuit that are cut from the high school team... but are mostly Rio America players.

This past fall and winter Jesuit has been running their open team, sort of like Granite Bay's club team and Fog City (SI) that has one or two guys from Folsom United on it

Bandits used to be Bella Vista Coaches not sure if it will be again this season since the team changed hands.

And you are right the travel is something I always for get about... but from what I have seen of all the non high school teams up in Sac, they are far behind their bay area counterparts (not in terms of players mind you but coaching)
I look forward to a lot of these younger guys coming back and coaching in Sac and making it much stronger at lacrosse.
sionjy
All Star
All Star

Postby laxlover » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:50 pm

Thanks for the update, Sionjy...My long term hope and goal is to see a NorCal and State Championships in lacrosse. Getting together a SAC-Joaquin Section Championship would be a great step in that direction.

Yes, I agree, the lack of (good) coaching is holding back the Sacto/Central Valley areas. They have the population and athletes to hang with the bay area, in my opinion. With all the travel teams coming on board and John Christmas helping with training and spreading the game of lacrosse, we should see a noticeable jump in lacrosse IQ and talent coming out of Sacto in the coming years.
laxlover
1st Line
1st Line

Postby motiv8orr » Sat May 11, 2013 6:01 pm

It's been a few years since I had any involvement with travel teams / tournaments. It used to be that Team Norcal was the premier travel team in the area, winning quite a few tournaments around the country. They seem to have a lot more competition for players now. Are they still the cream of the crop?
motiv8orr
All Star
All Star

Postby laxlover » Tue May 14, 2013 10:10 am

Norcal is no longer the cream of the crop for travel teams. But that is just my opinion of course.
laxlover
1st Line
1st Line

Postby laxking » Sun May 26, 2013 8:48 am

Cream of the crop right now appears to be 3dlacrosse. One look at their teams/rosters/results show this to be true. Invitational tryouts are finding the best of the best, coaching is top-notch and supported by structure from 3dlacrosse (www.3dlacrosse.com), and pathways to Jake Reed Blue Chip camp & California Gold are in place. Another interesting change: Alcatraz Outlaws developing a "Young Guns" team .... I would watch for changes here as well. Braden Edwards & David Grose will likely continue to lead the Bay Area pack.

Anyone else noting other top travel teams emerging?
laxking
Fan
Fan

Postby sionjy » Mon May 27, 2013 1:29 pm

I would have to disagree with 3dlacrosse being the cream of the crop in Northern California, they were really not that strong last summer. Neither Sac team nor the Eastbay teams were better than Alcatraz, ADVNC, or Braves. Maybe this summer they will be stronger.

Alcatraz is the best travel team right now and for the past few years,
Team ADVNC and NorCAl Braves would be right behind them.

Team Norcal is more or less a peninsula team (mostly Palo Alto, Bellarmine, Mountain View, Los Altos kids)

This summer may be very different with all the travel teams, a lot of the programs high school programs in the area going threw a rebuilding year. Making this a great summer to see the new crop of talent that will be in the area for the next couple of years.
sionjy
All Star
All Star

Postby laxking » Mon May 27, 2013 2:56 pm

I don't believe that 3dlacrosse Northern California was fully formed yet last summer.... I thought that only the young 2019 class had a team at that point? From what i understand, the 3d 2016 & 2017 teams began competing in the fall, after tryouts in September. I believe the 3d 2017 (8th graders) & the 2019 (6th graders) and the 2020 (5th graders) all won the LXMATS (formerly Sin City), and the 2017 team also won Sand Storm (Palm Desert) in the u15A level age group. The 2016 team did well too, possibly also winning their age group at Sand Storm or at least coming very close? I thought pretty comparable to Rotelli's ADNVC freshman-age team if not better --- 2016 team was coached by Worstell. Both 3d teams seemed to have merged the former Team Talon players (as Team Talon closed out?) plus added more talent from elsewhere. 2019 kids under Mark Blake are amazing little athletes and with Blake coaching, will be incredible in years to come.
With the Denver Shootout the first tournament coming up, it will be interesting to see how the various norcal teams fare!

Who runs NorCal Braves?
Chris Rotelli will build great teams with ADVNC -- does anyone know how those teams did at Sin City or Palm Desert?
laxking
Fan
Fan

Next

Return to Events