2013 Travel Teams

Leagues, camps, and tournaments.

Re: 2013 Travel Teams

Postby SkylineCoach » Tue May 28, 2013 8:30 am

Norcal Braves is primarily run by Peter Langkammerer, current University (SF) HS head coach, former Salisbury LSM, and son of the legendary Jerry Langkammerer. Its a great program, definitely on par with 3d and ADVNC... all of which are still competing a fractional step behind the Outlaws, IMO. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Wnfwca4VHE

Norcal Braves is not affiliated with or related to Team NorCal the Glazier/Skiba youth operation out of Palo Alto.
Last edited by SkylineCoach on Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
SkylineCoach
NCLF MVP
NCLF MVP

Postby laxlover » Fri May 31, 2013 12:39 pm

The 2017 Booth team is pretty good, I think. About half the team is made up of Lamorinda U15 kids who played in the championship game against Ross Valley. The year before, the Lamorinda team won the 13A championship, so the 2017 Booth team definitely has some very good talent.

I think Booth and Norcal Braves teamed up to win one of the HS divisions at Del Mar this year. That was no easy feat by any means. ADVNC has some very good players from all around the bay area on their middle school teams but it is their ELITE HS team that is dominant. They won the San Diego/Del Mar games this year and that team was STACKED with D1 talent.
laxlover
1st Line
1st Line

Postby hansel » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:30 am

laxking wrote:I don't believe that 3dlacrosse Northern California was fully formed yet last summer.... I thought that only the young 2019 class had a team at that point? From what i understand, the 3d 2016 & 2017 teams began competing in the fall, after tryouts in September. I believe the 3d 2017 (8th graders) & the 2019 (6th graders) and the 2020 (5th graders) all won the LXMATS (formerly Sin City), and the 2017 team also won Sand Storm (Palm Desert) in the u15A level age group. The 2016 team did well too, possibly also winning their age group at Sand Storm or at least coming very close? I thought pretty comparable to Rotelli's ADNVC freshman-age team if not better --- 2016 team was coached by Worstell. Both 3d teams seemed to have merged the former Team Talon players (as Team Talon closed out?) plus added more talent from elsewhere. 2019 kids under Mark Blake are amazing little athletes and with Blake coaching, will be incredible in years to come.
With the Denver Shootout the first tournament coming up, it will be interesting to see how the various norcal teams fare!

Who runs NorCal Braves?
Chris Rotelli will build great teams with ADVNC -- does anyone know how those teams did at Sin City or Palm Desert?

The Bay Area was well represented last weekend at the Denver Shootout. 3d Select NorCal sent five teams to the tournament (2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016) with three of them winning the tournament in their age group. The U11AA group was won by 3d Select NorCal 2020 over C2C, the U12 group was won by 3d Select 2019 over Parker Hawks and in U15AA group the 2017 3d Select NorCal team over Bradys Bunch.

The 2018 3d Select NorCal team lost in the finals to Bradys Bunch in the U13AA division by a goal and 3d Select NorCal 2016 team made it to the quarterfinals before losing a tough game to a Canadian team.

With the 2017 and 2019 teams both winning the Denver Shootout, they have each extended their undefeated streak to 19 wins and 0 losses. Both of these 3d teams have now won, since their formation as grade pure teams, the first three tournaments they entered: Adrenaline LXMATS Las Vegas in December, Sandstorm in January and now the Denver Shootout.

These teams are seriously fun to watch and have made a huge impact in a very short time. It should be a great summer for Bay Area lacrosse!
hansel
1st Line
1st Line

Postby sionjy » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:15 am

In the high school division, 3d Select Nor Cal did pretty well, going 2-3 and kept all the games very close scoring... Great to see from a young group of players (all 2016 players)

Team Nor cal Elite went 3-2 in the Denver shootout elite division.

Blue Chip Norcal went 1-4 in the same division as Team Nor cal Elite in the Denver shootout.

I hear Golden Gate Elite 's elite team is at the Baltimore summer kick off, any news on how they are doing?

NorCal Braves brought a roster of mostly sophomores and freshman to the Chicago Cup Elite Division and are undefeated (3-0 start of second day), beating teams in dominant fashion I hear.

Any others team at tournaments? Not sure what Booth and Advnc are doing at the moment.
sionjy
All Star
All Star

Postby sionjy » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:40 pm

Braves went undefeated in the Chicago Cup
Going 6-0 in the Elite Division

Players in the All Star Game:
Ethan Quinn, Fresh, Jesuit
Ryan Rasmussen, Soph., St. Francis
One player I dont know his name, I think he plays at SHP or maybe Berkeley?
Kevin Leis, Jr., Bella Vista
Adam Stockford, JR., Woodside

Congrats to the Braves for such a great performance in Chicago!

Denver Shootout NorCal Players that made the all star game:

Matt Palmer, Burlingame 2014 game
Henry Armstead, Bellarmine, 2014 game

Steve McCloed, SI 2015 game
Ben Spencer, Monte Vista 2015 game

Joe Carrington, Eastbay?, 2016 game
Jake Salamida, Monte Vista 2016 game

Big Congrats to those guys for working hard all week and making the All Star Games!
sionjy
All Star
All Star

Postby turfdawgies » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:44 pm

Jackson Herrick (Fr. Univeristy) also made the underclassmen allstar game as a member of the Braves team in Chicago. Ethan Quinn scored 3 times in that game, while Stockford and Leis combined for about 3-4 in the upperclassmen game.

Great showing by Braves in Chi city!
turfdawgies
Practice Player
Practice Player

Postby Grampa Lax » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:31 pm

There was a nice article in the Orinda Dilettante aka Billax's blog http://www.norcallacrosse.blogspot.com on the Alcatraz outlaws and their annual Alumni game and picnic before heading back to their two yearly tournaments at the King of the Hill in Md this week and the Gait cup next week in Gettysburg, PA. Several photos of the 35 alumni who showed up where published plus a nice article in the Marin IJ about the Outlaws and their history. Two teams are again being sent back to these tournaments a 2014 team of rising seniors and a 2015 team of rising juniors. At the picnic it was announced that the SI coach Chris Packard would be joining the staff and that next year a rising soph and maybe a rising freshman team would be added. Also the prior format of choosing the team based on local coaches recommendations would be altered and there would be evaluations (tryouts) this August.

The Outlaws are still the premier travel and recruiting team for high school kids in North Cal primarily because the coaching is outstanding and because the coaches really go to bat for their kids to be recruited. They have and can hang with the best in the east at these two tournaments where over 40 college coaches show up. Last year they won the Gait Cup and have been to the semifinals and the finals of the King of the Hill. The Outlaws are expected to do well and they do. The rosters of the two teams this year 2013 can be found on the Outlaw website and on Dllantante's blog and in the post at Alcatraz Outlaws Summer 2013. Good luck guys in your tournaments!

Please see Alcatraz summer 2013 on the high School blog for posts on the tournaments for the Outlaws at King of the Hill and the Gait Cup in Gettysburg PA.
Last edited by Grampa Lax on Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grampa Lax
NCLF MVP
NCLF MVP

Postby laxlover » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:30 pm

My son was sent an email recently about signing up for tryouts for one of the new Alcatraz Outlaw teams they are forming. I also agree (not that it matters a whole lot to anyone) that Alcatraz Outlaws is considered one of the best if not THE BEST travel team around. They are tops in the HS and Elite HS levels. Now they are expanding to grade pure Middle School and HS levels. Lacrosse has grown enough in Norcal that we can put together strong grade pure teams, from Middle School to HS.

Per the Alcatraz site:

Nomination Process

After 5 fantastic years, The Alcatraz Outlaws Lacrosse Club is set to expand!

August 24th and 25th the Outlaw staff will be conducting an Invite Only Evaluation for the following teams:

7th Grade (2019)
8th Grade
9th Grade
10th Grade
11th Grade

The Alcatraz Outlaws Nomination Process is outlined below. It’s our collective goal to create teams comprised of the best players in the Bay Area. We will be contacting school and club coaches to ensure we bring the absolute best of the Bay together in August to tryout for the Alcatraz Outlaws Lacrosse Club.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There was a tournament locally at Morgan Hill this weekend called Classic for a Cause. I think it was run by Booth. Anyway, I personally prefer attending local tournaments over flying out of town because it saves everyone money and helps build the lax community here first and foremost. Teams from Booth, Madlax, West Valley, Norcal Braves, Norcal Blue Chip Elite, Sacramento Aces (Christmas') were in attendance. I think Norcal Braves won the Elite div and Madlax won a couple of the youth and middle school divisions. It was a small tournament but very worthwhile I thought.
laxlover
1st Line
1st Line

Postby laxlover » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:02 pm

One of the best lacrosse articles I have read. I hope all travel ("club") teams heed what is written in the article and comments section. I have also unfortunately seen the lack of fundamentals training in my son's past and current travel teams. Just seems like one big money grab. We as parents need to expect and demand better fundamentals training from the travel teams and coaches. They are getting paid a lot of money honestly, and if they can't perform on what is expected of them, they will lose a lot of players (and games) every year, which can't be a successful long term business model.

One of my biggest hopes is to have my son play with his local area teammates and future HS teammates all year-round and all through high school. I really don't want to travel all over the place (driving or flying) to play lacrosse games. Why can't we just add Summer and Fall leagues following our regular Spring "club" league play?? Don't get me wrong, there are some benefits with Travel teams (e.g., playing with different and hopefully better players and coaches) but I sometimes wonder what is all this money I am spending on getting me and my son/daughter? Did he/she really get better and what did they learn??

But to be fair to travel teams and coaches and not completely blame (or credit) them for a kid's lacrosse skill sets, if you want your son/daughter to become really good at lacrosse, or any sport or endeavor for that matter, THEY MUST PRACTICE A LOT ON THEIR OWN.

http://insidelacrosse.com/news/2013/07/ ... -club-ball

(snip from Comments Section)

Anonymous (not verified)
July 1, 2013 - 11:28am
Fully agree with what you have said. I would even go further and comment on the complete money grab that some of these clubs are doing. On LI you have so called "elite" teams that have 2-4 teams in the same age group. The coaching for these kids is not there, and the parents are happy just to strut around saying that my son is on the X team even though that kid is not fundamentally sound in the game. These things are happening at all age levels. I still believe that school ball should be the way to move up in lax and the schools should be allowed to keep their teams together for some tournaments after the season has ended.
laxlover
1st Line
1st Line

Postby Grampa Lax » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:51 pm

Good Point Laxlover.There is indeed exploitation and folks who are in it for the money. Your interest for your son in the Outlaws is counter to that preception .My Grandson has received superb coaching in his two years with the Outlaws and their coaches work their tail off to place their kids in Div 1 , Div 111 or MCLA schools if warranted. The teams travel back east for only two tournaments at the KING OF THE HILL and GAIT CUP because that is the only way they can be seen by the eastern college coaches. As noted in my enclosed article they have placed 58 kids in college programs and 37 in Div 1. With the addition of the SI coach Chris Parker to the staff and the expansion next year to 3-4 teams this is in response to the fact that the Eastern colleges are recruiting kids younger and younger. For example recently at the Gait Cup in response to the Outlaw 2014 team of rising seniors an Ivy school said their class was full but suggested to one young man he attend a prep school for a year after graduation and be considered for the class of 2015. Don't get me wrong there are still good schools at the Div 1 level who are still looking for those hidden nuggets and of course many of the Div 3 and MCLA schools haven't yet filled their rosters. The expansion of the Outlaws next year to provide additional younger teams is not in my opinion geared to making money but to teach and expose our best Nor Cal kids to the eastern college coaches and scouts for their earlier consideration. The Outlaws main and really only premise is to expose the boys to good coaching and recruiting and then for the coaching staff to spend the rest of the year talking-to and helping them find spots at appropriate colleges.You can tell they love to do just that. Here is part of my recent post from the Outlaws very successful trip back East and the coaches philosophy as expressed by Coach Dave Grose one of the Outlaw coaches and coach at Redwood High.
Re: Alcatraz Outlaws Summer 2013

Postby Grampa Lax » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:17 am

One final note of interest. In an interview in the Marin IJ Dave Grose one of the Outlaw coaches and the head coach at Redwood High stated:

"I think there is a talent level in the Bay Area that is rising. Last year we expanded to two teams and we won another tournament. Our younger guys went to two final fours and our older boys won the Gait Cup, so it was another incredibly successful year. The main thing we are trying to do is allow guys to get the opportunity to get college looks by coaches we've met through this process and then go out and advocate for these kids during the season and then during the summer and really help them find opportunities to play. And we've been really successful at it."

My Comments follow

Indeed since its inception in 2009 the coaches Braden Edwards, Greg Angilly, and Dave Grosse have coached teams that have held their own, won tournaments( this year the 2014 team won the King of the Hill and the 2015 team played in the finals at the Gait Cup) and to date 58 current or former players are part of or have committed to college squads. Of that group 37 players found Division 1 programs at which to play. Next year the Outlaws will expand to three possibly 4 teams( rising Sophs, rising Juniors ,rising seniors ) as the eastern colleges in at least Div 1 recruit earlier and earlier. SI coach Chris Packard will join the coaching staff. Also the prior format of the coaches picking and inviting players will change and there will be evaluations ( tryouts ) possibly in August. Congrats again to the players, coaches, and parents of this year's Alcatraz Outlaws in representing and promoting so ably NOR CAL LACROSSE!
Grampa Lax
NCLF MVP
NCLF MVP

PreviousNext

Return to Events