California Gold 2011 - raising the bar again

Leagues, camps, and tournaments.

California Gold 2011 - raising the bar again

Postby Billax » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:04 pm

Coach Worstell has laid his plans for the 2011 edition of California Gold. The net effect of these plans will make this the toughest ticket to punch in the West and, in my opinion, make it one of the two most elite individual recruiting camps in the country. I'll review the 2010 California Gold camp to support this contention. 2010 saw an expansion of the geographic area served by California Gold. No longer just a California event, a good number of Oregon guys made the cut, creating an even more selective pool of California guys. This select group of players was observed by a stunning array of NCAA DI, DII, and DIII coaches, as well as a solid group of MCLA coaches. How stunning? Seven of the eight NCAA DI National Championship Quarterfinalists had coaches in attendance at California Gold. All four Semifinalists had coaches at Gold, including Head coach Ben DeLuca of Cornell, Head Coach Dom Starsia of Virginia, and Head Coach John Danowski of National Champion Duke. Why did they fly all the way across the country to attend Gold? Simple. Recruiting is becoming a very competitive activity and top coaches in all Divisions of the NCAA and MCLA want to see the best, most concentrated groups of players possible. On two days in July, they elected to be in Danville, California to see the best that the West Coast had to offer.

So, what's new for 2011? Well, Gold won't be just for the West Coast, it'll include other Western hotbeds, with tryouts in Texas and Colorado, as well as in NorCal, SoCal, and Oregon. Yep, the ticket's getting tougher to punch! Another major change, at the request of college coaches, will be in the format of the camp. California Gold will move to two, one-day, camps. On Day 1, the camp will have 3 teams (18 players each) of rising Seniors (Class of 2012) and three teams of rising Sophomores (Class of 2014) - with a few exceptional rising Freshman (Class of 2015) in the mix. The 2014/2015 teams will play a rotating schedule on Field 1, while the 2012 teams will play a rotating series of games on Field 2. Maybe 5 games for each team during the course of the day. Better plan to be in great condition for this event and get a good night's sleep the night before!

Day 2 will feature the rising Juniors (Class of 2013) with six teams of about 18 each. They'll play a rotating schedule on Fields 1 and 2, with each team playing five games. Why the change in format? It's at the request of the college coaches, who are recruiting players from earlier classes than they ever have before. It's just a competitive situation to which they have to adjust. That's the reason for six teams of rising Juniors on Day 2. This is becoming the sweet spot for NCAA DI recruiting.

So, what's happening on Day 1? I think it's an innovative idea. DI college coaches always have a few spots left in their classes for the right guy, at the right position, with the right skills and athleticism among rising Seniors. DIII college coaches are in the middle of building their recruiting classes, so they are very high on seeing rising Seniors. The rising Seniors will be looked at very carefully. The rising Sophomores (and a few rising Freshmen) teams will put younger players "on the radar" with top college programs. DI Coaches start building their "watch lists" with these rising Sophomores. All four of the NorCal Junior boys who committed early to NCAA DI programs this summer and fall attended California Gold as rising Sophomores. Other NorCal juniors who'll commit to DI programs this year were also put on the radar as rising Sophs via their attendance at Gold. But the real action is with the rising Juniors. That's become the sweet spot in the recruiting of prospective DI players. and that's why there will be six teams for this age group.

One day instead of two, five games, about half the price as last year, with the same great gear, but with lots more competition to get a slot. Plus, I think you'll see even more coaches from top NCAA and MCLA programs in attendance!

Information about tryouts, cost, last year's coaches in attendance, and much more, can be seen at:
http://www.peterworstell.com/details_11.pdf

Hope to see you all at the 2011 California Gold!
Sports don't build character, they reveal it. - Heywood Broun
Billax
Forum Father
Forum Father

Re: California Gold 2011 - raising the bar again

Postby Billax » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:38 pm

Tryout slots at California Gold are now closed. More guys at tryouts than last year. There is a waitlist, so if you failed to act on time, put your name on the waitlist. You may be shut out, but maybe there's a chance.

This is a tough ticket to punch!
Billax
Forum Father
Forum Father

Postby 2LaxFeet » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:30 am

Can't believe there aren't any posts or pics. Is there anyone who attended that can comment on what they saw out there?
2LaxFeet
All Star
All Star

Postby Billax » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:15 am

Last night was the deadline for invitees to California Gold to register. Of the 205 players invited, 201 registered. That is a stunning acceptance rate in a highly competitive market. Little doubt remains as to the top recruiting venue in the West!
Billax
Forum Father
Forum Father

Postby norcallax152022 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:50 pm

does anyone know when the official roster will be released?
norcallax152022

Postby 2LaxFeet » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:57 am

Are there any volunteers to report on the upcoming event? I've been able to attend in past and it is a very cool atmosphere will excellent lacrosse being played all around. With the tryout's becoming more and more selective, you can bet the level of lax will rise. If you can, you should attend and if you do, please share.

050111-1825 :-({|=
2LaxFeet
All Star
All Star

Postby backdoor » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:28 am

backdoor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby motiv8orr » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:39 pm

As I am shepherding a second son through the youth/HS lacrosse landscape, I was curious about the California Gold showcase. I ran across this item, posted just a day or two ago. The showcase seems to have lost some of it's lustre.

http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/3d-lacros ... bl-1239257

Here is the text of the report:

3D Lacrosse runs a national lacrosse (LAX) league for youth, similar to Little League Baseball and Pop Warner Football. Their league teams and tournaments are valuable for the development of youth LAX skills.

However their recruiting "Showcase" camps are a rip off. Advertised as a "full day of training," followed by a day of games, to allow rising high school LAX players to showcase their skills - it is hardly that. They also advertised a bounty of players swag (players gear) to be given away.

From 2011 - 2013 the California Gold Invitaional Showcase Camp was held in Danville, CA. It was a stellar event, with premium players gear and training. Prior years give aways included Nike cleats, duffel bags, LAX heads, etc.

In 2015, the 3D Lacrosse - California Gold Invitational Camp moved to Oceanside, CA from Danville, CA. The cost had also risen from $325 to $475.

We expected another great event, quality players gear package, 6-7 hours of premier training on day #1. Our youngest grandson was excited to try the camp for himself.

Instead of 600+ kids, college level coaches and a great gear package, there were maybe 200 kids. The gear package consisted of socks, shorts and a t-shirt.

A major part of Day #1 was spent doing "registration." Training first session did not even start until 11 AM. The training was only 4 hours on the first day - (2) 2 hour sessions. The second day consisted of two games, grouped by High School graduating year.

Our grandson does not play for a 3D Lacrosse team. He found himself standing on the sidelines, watching the 3D Team players showing off. Instead of exhibiting their team skills, the 3D players would shoot every chance they got - bad angles, congested lanes, circus shots, what ever - it was all about showing off. Many players refused to leave the field, some played for the entire game without rotating off the field - for BOTH GAMES. Purely unacceptable for a "showcase" program.

In Danville, the coaches who managed the showcase teams, made sure that the players routinely rotated off of the fields - giving everyone a fair and equitable chance to illustrate their skills. Players that were "ball hogs" were called on it or removed from play. Not under the new management.

At the end of the second day, there were no college representatives left watching the games of the 2018 students - only parents.

3D Lacrosse over promoted this camp, over described and hyped it up. In the end, it way under delivered. Overall, this program was a major disappointment.

Save your $500 (not to mention your $1500 for hotel, food, rental car, travel expenses, and parents time off of work). Use that $2,000+ to buy some new gear and take some private lessons from a nationally ranked coach !

If you want exposure to the college recruiters, get good grades and SAT scores, excell in high school lacrosse, be a teamplayer, stay involved in community activities (be a well rounded citizen). If you are good, you will get noticed.

You do not need a fancy camp to "showcase" your skills.
motiv8orr
All Star
All Star

Postby 2019laxdad » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:40 pm

Couldn't agree more about this year's Cal Gold. My son attended as well. When 3d first arrived on the scene in NorCal I was very impressed with their commitment to a solid methodology. It seemed to be all about development and training. Lately though, it has become all about "selling the dream" - they've become part of the recruiting industry. I understand it's a business. They are in it to make money. But, in my opinion, they are being short sighted. They prey on parents' anxiety about their son's future in the game. But they won't be able to continue to charge a premium price for a product that does not deliver. Cal Gold did not deliver. And while the older 3d NorCal teams were successful, they have some serious problems at the younger ages. Good, young players are leaving in droves.

I hope that they can fix these problems because I do respect their teaching methodology. But lately it appears to have been lost in the pursuit of maximum, near term profits.
2019laxdad
Fan
Fan

Postby laxtruth » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:00 pm

Welcome to "The Game", gentleman...and I am not talking about lacrosse either.... :lol:
laxtruth
Practice Player
Practice Player

Return to Events