Northern California Lax Convention and US Lax Grants

Leagues, camps, and tournaments.

Northern California Lax Convention and US Lax Grants

Postby MDIALG » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:26 am

Why is it that the Northern California has elected to use their US Lacrosse Grant to - "This chapter will use the grant to reduce the costs for participants attending the Northern California Lacrosse Convention."

I thought the purpose of the US Lacrosse Grants was to further participation. I dont see how deferring costs (for adults) to a Convention really benefits US Lacrosse, am I missing something about the convention. Why not clinics for youngsters (boys and girls)? Why not coaches training? Why not grow the game in underprivileged and underserved areas? There are many other better choices IMHO.

Here is a list of what other chapters are doing:

Northern California – This chapter will use the grant to reduce the costs for participants attending the Northern California Lacrosse Convention.

Arizona – This chapter will support and host 15 free events during Fast Break Initiative "Super Weekend". Events include: the Friday night keynote speech by Coach Don Zimmerman, head men's lacrosse coach at University of Maryland, Baltimore County (UMBC), a US Lacrosse Coaching Education Program (CEP) Level 1 coaching clinic, U.S. men's national team player clinic, Arizona Lacrosse Officials Association (ALOA) training, Arizona Women's Lacrosse Umpires Association (AWLUA) training, Arizona State University (ASU) team player clinic and nine educational breakout sessions throughout Saturday and Sunday.

Colorado – This chapter was awarded three grants. The first grant will be used to encourage coaches from around the state to attend a US Lacrosse Level 1 or Level 2 coaching education program (CEP) clinic in Denver by paying for hotel accommodations for any coach that lives more than 60 miles away from the clinic location. The second grant will be used to subsidize the cost for Level 1 and Level 2 CEP clinic attendees. The third grant will be used to supplement the ticket price for the Colorado Hall of Fame dinner for inductees, the keynote speaker and previous inductees as well as for commemorative photo books for the inductees.

Connecticut – This chapter will use the grant to help fund education and training initiatives for coaches and officials through US Lacrosse programs and services.

Great Plains – This chapter received two grants. The first grant will help honor individuals who have contributed to the game in the Great Plains area by hosting a hall of fame banquet. The second grant will assist the Little Rock Lacrosse Club with introducing the sport of lacrosse to the community by focusing on the city's youth. The chapter is looking to continue its past efforts with Sunday afternoon clinics for boys and girls in grades K-12; a fundraiser event called "Lacrosse for Leukemia" at War Memorial Stadium; a Level 1 CEP clinic; and visits to several local schools to offer an after-school "introduction to lacrosse" seminar at little to no cost to the students.

Greater Los Angeles – This chapter was awarded two grants. The first grant awarded is for its Youth Development Program. The chapter developed a handbook to assist with growing the game at the youth level. The youth program will strongly improve the natural progression of lacrosse development from the elementary level through high school. The second grant awarded will be used to subsidize the cost of a keynote speaker for the California Lacrosse Convention.

Hampton Roads – This chapter was awarded a grant to host a US Lacrosse CEP clinic. This will help to subsidize the cost for the CEP clinic registration fees, first aid training for coaches, an on-site Positive Coaching Alliance course and leadership training for high school team captains.

Houston – This chapter will use the grant to purchase girls' sticks and goggles for introductory clinics and a Physical Education (PE) Loaner Program. These clinics are designed to recruit new players at the youth and middle school level.

Illinois – This chapter was awarded a grant to provide funding for the chapter's own "chapter grant program." The chapter would like to support the programs that grow the game in underprivileged and underserved areas.

Kentucky – This chapter will host a US Lacrosse PE Curriculum training clinic for elementary school PE teachers. The chapter is aiming to integrate the sport into more schools at the youth level.

Maine – This chapter was awarded a grant to help neutralize the chapter's budget for its inaugural team at the US Lacrosse 2010 Women's Division National Tournament (WDNT).

Michigan – This chapter was awarded a grant to offset ticket costs for US Lacrosse members to attend the second annual Michigan Chapter Hall of Fame Banquet.

New Hampshire – This chapter will use the grant to host Level 1 CEP clinics in the chapter area.

North Carolina – This chapter will use the grant to assist with the speakers' compensation and facility expenses supporting the eighth annual North Carolina Coaching Clinic.

North Coast Ohio – This chapter will host a US Lacrosse Level 2 CEP clinic and will use the grant to assist the chapter with related expenses.

Orange County – This chapter was awarded a grant to help support the chapter's efforts to send well-rounded teams to the US Lacrosse WDNT, U11 Lax Fest, U13 Lax Fest, U15 Lax Fest and the U15 National Championships. Additionally, this will help subsidize the cost of hosting US Lacrosse Level 1 CEP clinics within the chapter area.

Philadelphia – This chapter was awarded a grant to promote the growth of lacrosse in the Philadelphia Lacrosse Association's inner city programs.

Potomac – This chapter will host US Lacrosse Level 1 and Level 2 CEP clinics and will use the grant to assist the chapter with related expenses.

Richmond – This chapter was awarded three grants. The first grant awarded is to offset the costs associated with their annual High School All-Star Game and Sportsmanship Awards. The second grant is to enable the chapter to provide scholarships and a subsidy to US Lacrosse members who attend the Level 2 CEP clinic. The third grant was awarded to initiate a program for wheelchair lacrosse athletes in the greater Richmond area.

San Diego – This chapter was awarded a grant to enable the chapter to send teams to the US Lacrosse WDNT, U11 Lax Fest, U13 Lax Fest, U15 Lax Fest and the U15 National Championships.

Southwest Virginia – This chapter will establish new boys' and girls' varsity lacrosse programs at William Fleming High School in Roanoke, Va.

Utah – This chapter will use the awarded grant to host a Level 2 CEP clinic.

Vermont – This chapter will use the grant to support the ongoing activities of the Vermont Chapter, including the chapter equipment grant program and underwriting the annual recognition dinner.

Washington – This chapter was awarded a grant to help equalize the costs associated with hosting the chapter's Hall of Fame Banquet. This year, they will induct their third class.

Western Maryland – This chapter will use the grant to assist with rolling out the US Lacrosse PE Curriculum through Washington and Frederick County middle schools.

Wisconsin – This chapter was awarded a grant to purchase US Lacrosse PE materials and equipment for the Wisconsin Athletic Directors Association Convention.

Aren't there better ways to use Grant Money than deferring costs to a Convention?

MDIALG
MDIALG
Practice Player
Practice Player

Re: Northern California Lax Convention and US Lax Grants

Postby SkylineCoach » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:54 am

Embarrassing
SkylineCoach
NCLF MVP
NCLF MVP

Re: Northern California Lax Convention and US Lax Grants

Postby Billax » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:53 am

MDIALG wrote:Why is it that the Northern California has elected to use their US Lacrosse Grant to - "This chapter will use the grant to reduce the costs for participants attending the Northern California Lacrosse Convention." ... Aren't there better ways to use Grant Money than deferring costs to a Convention?

MDIALG

I'm sure no expert and I can't speak to the intent of the NorCal Chapter of US Lacrosse, but here are a couple of possibilities why the Chapter may have made the decision it did.

1) Having attended three of the Chapter's Coaches conventions in the past, I know that a very large fraction of participants are Youth Lacrosse coaches - both boys' and girls'. As most everyone knows, the great majority of these coaches receive no compensation whatsoever for their services. In fact, almost every Youth coach I've ever known has paid for extra balls, replacement equipment, and the odds and ends that occur during the course of a season. So, not only are they not compensated, not only do they pay for incidental expenses of the team, but then they're asked to pay another chunk to attend a conference intended to help them become better at their pro bono avocation. I guess the old saying, "No good deed goes unpunished" applies here. In the High School coaching ranks, I know a VERY large number of coaches who also receive no compensation. We can't grow our sport without corresponding growth in coaches. We can't continue to ramp the quality of NorCal Lacrosse without greater skills amongst coaching staffs, and we can't keep asking our unpaid volunteers to pay ever higher out-of-pocket costs to become more skilled. Perhaps the Chapter decided that there were limits to what coaches would do "for love of the game."

2) Alternately, bringing in Keynoters like Head Men's Coach Chris Bates of Princeton and Head Women's Coach Karin Brower Corbett of UPenn costs money, at the very least for air travel, ground transportation, lodging, and meals. These folks are participants in the Coaches Convention, too. Perhaps it's these participants whose costs are being reduced.

As I said, I don't know the facts, but I'm not eager to bash the Chapter for their actions - and I'm especially not willing to ding unpaid volunteers if they get a price break for learning how to be more effective coaches.

Just my $0.02
Sports don't build character, they reveal it. - Heywood Broun
Billax
Forum Father
Forum Father

Return to Events