New Head Design Rule for 2010

Postby backdoor » Fri May 02, 2008 11:45 am

Billax, good points. I'd like to add that creative stringing can make up the difference and I'm sure those that string sticks will find ways to gain back that which was lost.

I use a proton+ head, which is wider than the typical head. I string a corner pocket, which is kinda old school, because it uses two leathers through mesh which really makes for a narrow channel down the middle, like a pinched head, but is wider for catching and scooping.
backdoor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby quickstick » Fri May 02, 2008 12:32 pm

backdoor wrote:Billax, good points. I'd like to add that creative stringing can make up the difference and I'm sure those that string sticks will find ways to gain back that which was lost.

:D Already done it. I was with Kyle Harrison early this week at Clayton Valley HS, Acalanes HS and Walnut Creek LC. He was using the G22 I strung and he did not miss a beat.
When I make a great play it is because my opponent made me do so.
quickstick
All Star
All Star

Postby Mexicolax » Fri May 02, 2008 4:07 pm

Could some one post on which heads will be legal for the 2010 regulations. I've heard vapors, excaliburs, and Profiles, but I would like to see a more indepth list. Sorry for my lazyness.
Mexicolax
1st Line
1st Line

Postby quickstick » Fri May 02, 2008 5:00 pm

I'd chill on this a bit. By 2010 there will be a whole host of heads that are legal. The referee will have a template that has to fit into the head during a stick check to ensure that those heads that were legal upon purchase have not been modified. I see a big problem for faceoff middies as the act of facing off bends the head and can easily pinch them especially at the 5 inch up from the ball stop requiring 4 inches across. This may be the genesis for the titanium inserts to help the faceoff stick keep its shape. Currently the xcalibur, g22, proton, vapor and the high end that I know of.
quickstick
All Star
All Star

Postby Grizz » Sun May 11, 2008 8:43 pm

If its worth doing, its worth abusing.
Grizz
Forum Father
Forum Father

Re: New Head Design Rule for 2010

Postby gamecocks » Mon May 11, 2009 12:37 pm

Wow. Three different measurements for width?

Does anyone know what current heads are legal under these new rules?
gamecocks
1st Line
1st Line

Postby quickstick » Mon May 11, 2009 1:59 pm

As far as I know, the current legal list is:

Maverick Juice
Reebok 6K and 9K
Brine Recruit

Coming out soon

Warrior Spyne

something from Brine
something from Harrow

STX???

Not a big list. I have a Juice and 9K strung with the 34 pocket (my version). I have also baked a recruit to the new dimensions. Not as offset as the Juice or 9K but the complete stick is $35 versus $90+. I'll be testing these during the camp season and will write up the results during the summer.
quickstick
All Star
All Star

Postby ZLaxMom » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:34 pm

Resurrecting this for a moment...

I've been reading up trying to figure out what the status is with the different heads out there now (high school/dual/ncaa 2010), and I want to make sure I understand the situation correctly.

As of right now, from what I can see the NFHS has not adopted the new stick regulations, correct? And from what I can tell from my brief reading, if/when they do adopt the regulations they will typically give a warning period and/or grandfather equipment in for a short time? So current high school (particularly CIF) players should feel comfortable purchasing either a dual or high school only head, with the caveat that if they choose a high school only head they will likely have to give it up when they start their college playing careers.

Is that right?
I'm happy to be a Lax Mom.
ZLaxMom
1st Line
1st Line

Postby CVHSJVCoach » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:37 pm

ZLaxMom wrote:Resurrecting this for a moment...

As of right now, from what I can see the NFHS has not adopted the new stick regulations, correct? And from what I can tell from my brief reading, if/when they do adopt the regulations they will typically give a warning period and/or grandfather equipment in for a short time?

Is that right?

I got my 2010 NFHS rule book about a month ago and read through it, looking for this among other things... I also could not find anything specific to the 2010 head rule... my understanding is it only affects NCAA... is that right??

Maybe one of the Ref's out here can answer this....Boonie, you got anything on this?? :-k
As you practice, you will play
CVHSJVCoach
1st Line
1st Line

Postby quickstick » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:52 pm

The new heads apply only to NCAA and MCLA colleges and universities and other schools that play by the NCAA rule book. High School and Youth play by the NFHS rule book and so these new heads do not apply. That said, there are several heads that are legal for NCAA and MCLA play that are not legal for high school play. These are the heads that are six inches wide at the top. High school rules forbid heads narrower than 6.5 inches. During this holiday season make sure if you buy a new head that you ask the retailer if the head is legal for high school and youth play or if for your college player that is legal for college play.

I hear the rumor that the NFHS will adopt the the NCAA head dimensions in 2012.

The local lax retailer in Alamo has a summary sheet that tells you which heads are legal for each league.
quickstick
All Star
All Star

PreviousNext

Return to Gear and Equipment