New Head Design Rule for 2010

Postby picknroll » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:20 pm

Lax Daddy Man wrote:I would assume that head design has gone the direction that it has as a result of what the players wanted. To hold on to the ball better!

Manufacturers have merely responded to the needs of the players. Can't really fault them for that.

Dimensions have been regulated, but maybe not enough.

Better defensive stick skills would be one alternative to reckless aggression........... :shock:

100% agree. How many short-stick players have chimed in here wanting their pinched heads taken away? I've got a great Proton at home that none of my boys want to use. They have to go buy a Helix or a funky Gait head or whatever. The manufacturers are selling what the players want to buy.
The more I practice the luckier I get.
picknroll

Postby backdoor » Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:32 pm

Nice post! I love my Proton+/corner pocket stringing. The Proton+ is looks wide compared to today's pinched heads, but the pocket holds great because of the two tighter traditional leathers that create a channel.
backdoor
Site Admin
Site Admin

heads...

Postby Shibby » Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:01 pm

quote]I believe that the push for the pinched heads was to give factory strung heads similar hold and shot characteristics to custom strung heads.[/quote]

maybe in some areas, but not from my experience. in the late '70's and '80's friends were always experimenting w/ baking/boiling, etc. to get a pinch for a better hold. during the early-mid '90's stx sold a "box" version of the excalibur that became very popular. nice factory pinch of the sidewalls while only a 1/2 inch difference at the mouth/scoop. everything was (and still is) about having an "edge" while holding the ball in traffic. the reasoning behind this was the simple fact that a player had to actually work to develop technique to both cradle AND protect the ball...or be stripped.

the manufacturers certainly aided in this "addiction"...

call me old-fashioned, but you can't deny the impact that the pinched head has had on the game. O & D tactics, as well as individual skills such as simple passing, have been greatly affected.

but i'm just one stick in the mud and doubt that we'll ever return to head characteristics that existed prior to 2000(+).

imo, the game was played better then.
Where ever I go...there I am.
Shibby
All Star
All Star

Postby lamolax44 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:57 pm

Im now playing goalie but while i was middie on NorCal I used a cyber. Strung the first few links with single interlocks and made a nice channeled lower pocket, great hold and release with minimal whip and 2010 legal. I enjoy wide heads. ill post pictures later
When the going gets tough, the tough get going
lamolax44
All Star
All Star

Postby rapidfireguy » Thu May 01, 2008 2:24 pm

Will this new rule be put into effect in the MCLA in 2010 as well?
EAT-SLEEP-PLAY. THE FIRST TWO ARE OPTIONAL.
rapidfireguy
All Star
All Star

Postby quickstick » Thu May 01, 2008 2:49 pm

The MCLA uses the NCAA rule book without exception, so unless they start making rule exceptions I think that they will use the new head dimensions.
When I make a great play it is because my opponent made me do so.
quickstick
All Star
All Star

Postby rapidfireguy » Thu May 01, 2008 3:44 pm

Thanks for the clarity. Another dilemma that I face is which new head to get. Right now I have a Brine Clutch, which is pretty pinched and will most likely be illegal in 2010, and I'm thinking about getting another one. I'm also leaning towards the STX Profile, which is what I used to use and seems as though it will comply with the new head rule.
I could go with the Clutch, and use the last year of it being legal to its full advantage, or I could go with the Profile and start getting used to the new rule.
Any suggestions from anyone on which head I should get?
EAT-SLEEP-PLAY. THE FIRST TWO ARE OPTIONAL.
rapidfireguy
All Star
All Star

Postby 2LaxFeet » Fri May 02, 2008 9:20 am

rapidfireguy wrote: ...."or I could go with the Profile and start getting used to the new rule. "

That's what the off-season leading up to the '10 season is for, although more expensive.
2LaxFeet
All Star
All Star

Postby backdoor » Fri May 02, 2008 9:31 am

I don't think there would be that much of an adjustment period. Once you start playing with it you'll adjust and forget about it.
backdoor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: heads...

Postby Billax » Fri May 02, 2008 10:07 am

The quotes below kinda sum up the differing points of view on this thread. While I agree with backdoor that for catching, throwing, shooting, and scooping there would be only a short adjustment period, I'm of the opinion that stick protection skills will need to become much better for most offensive players in order to avoid increases in caused turnovers. I'd guess that will take longer. Of course, the embarrassment of being repeatedly stripped by a surgeon with a pole will speed up the improvement in stick protection. :) Guys like Wil Chuch at Amador and Frankie Cuneo at Miramonte will think they've died and gone to heaven with this rule change!

Shibby wrote:quote]... everything was (and still is) about having an "edge" while holding the ball in traffic. the reasoning behind this was the simple fact that a player had to actually work to develop technique to both cradle AND protect the ball...or be stripped....

backdoor wrote:I don't think there would be that much of an adjustment period. Once you start playing with it you'll adjust and forget about it.
Sports don't build character, they reveal it. - Heywood Broun
Billax
Forum Father
Forum Father

PreviousNext

Return to Gear and Equipment