elbow/arm guard question

elbow/arm guard question

Postby motiv8orr » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:52 pm

I'm in the market for some new arm guards for the player in the family.

RBK, for instance, makes an elbow guard, and an arm guard. Both cover about the same amount of arm. The elbow guard has the elbow cap on the outside of the arm pads, and the arm guard have the elbow cap tucked under the arm pads.

Why are there two? Is it a position thing? I would guess most people would want the arm guard to protect from checks and slashes against the lower and upper arms. Do some people need special protection for their elbows?
motiv8orr
All Star
All Star

Postby Lax Daddy Man » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:24 pm

Can you post a pic or a link please? 8)
Poke Check! Poke Check! @#*%^ Slide!
Lax Daddy Man

Postby motiv8orr » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:49 pm

http://www.lacrossemonkey.com/rbk-lacro ... ds-9k.html
http://www.lacrossemonkey.com/rbk-lacro ... ds-9k.html

the elbow guards are 5 buck extra. I don't see much difference. Why would a player choose one over the other?
motiv8orr
All Star
All Star

rebock arm pads...

Postby Shibby » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:53 am

I'm in the market for some new arm guards for the player in the family.

how old is the player in question. if he's ms age & below you can get great protection from most of what any local store should have on the shelf. however, hs age is a good time to upgrade.

with my aging eyesight it's hard to tell from both descriptions, but the model w/ the inner elbow guard "appears" to offer slightly more protection for the upper and lower arms.

my best counsel would be to try them on at a store and whack 'em a few times w/ a stick for a decision. i've never been an advocate of buying something sight-unseen, especially for lax gear. while friends have often spoken highly of "this or that" i like to strap it on first. it's gotta feel "right" or it may become a distraction during play.

also, i've always been an advocate that "more is better" with regard to protection...as long as it's functional and light-weight. like timex...you wanna be able to take a lickin' & keep on tickin'. in my younger years (when i felt 16 & bulletproof) i made the mistake of not wearing shoulderpads (yes, i'm "that" old), rotator cuff pads and sufficient padding for both the upper and lower arm(s). please don't make the same mistakes. todays equipment does a great job with both form & function. after that, it's all just surface paint and snake-oil.......

good luck
Where ever I go...there I am.
Shibby
All Star
All Star

Postby Lax Daddy Man » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:28 am

Both pairs appear to be a viable option. You might get more deflection and receive less impact with the external elbow cap.

They sure are pretty! 8)

Some players prefer more or less coverage relative to the position that they play. Same deal with gloves and shoulder pads……………
Lax Daddy Man

Postby quickstick » Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:14 pm

I recommended (in my retail days) the inner pad to attackmen as there was less for those nasty dmen to lift on as compared to the outer cap.

8)
When I make a great play it is because my opponent made me do so.
quickstick
All Star
All Star

Postby Lax Daddy Man » Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:29 pm

quickstick wrote:less for those nasty dmen to lift on

Good point, however The Kid won't like it
Lax Daddy Man

Postby LaxDaddy's Kid » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:24 pm

And the secret is out :(
LaxDaddy's Kid
All Star