Opinions on the Helix....?

Opinions on the Helix....?

Postby donslax5 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:20 pm

I bought the helix a couple months ago and it throws ok and its pretty solid but im not really happy with the hold ....

any opinions from ppl with the helix? im deciding on whether to get a different head...

im a middie if you have any recommendations for a head
donslax5
Fan
Fan

Postby random_lax_guy » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:27 pm

yeah, i have a helix for attack. i was suprised that the helix wouldn't fit on my shaft, so i had to drill which took a lil extra effort. in general, for a mid, go with a razor. razors aren't as pinched as helix's or evos, (evo pros screw u over), and its perfect. also i've heard the evo 2.0 is REALLY good for mid
random_lax_guy
2nd Line
2nd Line

Postby LaxDaddy's Kid » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:45 pm

I bought (or should I say Lax Daddy Man bought me) a helix in December. After a little tweaking the pocket I use on normal heads, I can honestly say that it is the best head that I've ever played with for lsm/defense, and definitely one of my favorites. If you find the right style of pocket that makes up for a somewhat lack of hold in the head, then the advantages of the twisted sidewalls become obvious. As far as middie goes, I'd vote for an E3. It's a very solid head with lots of holes to fix a pocket and pinched to perfection. :D Good luck!
LaxDaddy's Kid
All Star
All Star

Postby random_lax_guy » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:02 pm

yeah it takes awhile to get used to it, but with the twisted sidewall, d cant get the ball out
random_lax_guy
2nd Line
2nd Line

Postby lamolax44 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:19 pm

The head its self has an extremely small impact of hold, the only way that hold may be affected is if the head isnt pinched nicely, which the helix is. What truly matter is how it is strung.
When the going gets tough, the tough get going
lamolax44
All Star
All Star

Postby LaxDaddy's Kid » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:28 pm

Since the Helix is flared at the bottom, it doesn't have the traditional pinched feel. When sitting mesh down, the face of the head is pinched as much as a Revo or Evo, but the back of the head is much wider, more like a Finalizer or X2. So even though it is pinched, the ball has an awful amount of room to bounce around unless the stringing is just right and holds the ball enough. Like I said, I love the stick, it just has to be done right.
LaxDaddy's Kid
All Star
All Star

Postby random_lax_guy » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:34 pm

definatly. its taken me 2 months to get it perfect WAYYYYYYYYY to long for hs lax. but works like a champ now 8)
random_lax_guy
2nd Line
2nd Line

Postby picknroll » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:37 pm

My son has played middie with a Helix this season and loves it. I played catch with it for about an hour on Sunday and I loved it too. My opinion doesn't count much though, because I'm pretty lousy.
The more I practice the luckier I get.
picknroll

Postby Lax Daddy Man » Tue May 01, 2007 8:04 am

FYI,

The kid did have one crack at the screw hole on the base.

I got a return authorization, returned it to the manufacturer, and they sent I new one out ASAP............ 8)
Poke Check! Poke Check! @#*%^ Slide!
Lax Daddy Man

Postby quickstick » Tue May 01, 2007 9:41 am

:cry: Not impressed. The shape change mid sidewall makes for a deep floppy low pocket which can help a cradle hold, but it effects the release on hard passes and shots. It has tried to copy some of the Gait (de Beer) sticks which are designed to allow the low pocket to swing outside the sidewalls. I just prefer the ball to release from pocket to shooting strings with no variation in how the ball gets to the release point. This makes for consistant accuracy from soft touch passes to a full on crank.
When I make a great play it is because my opponent made me do so.
quickstick
All Star
All Star

Next

Return to Gear and Equipment