Re: All EBAL Final Four Can anyone stop SRV

Postby shortstick » Wed May 17, 2017 8:52 pm

Starting 2nd OVERTIME. Still knotted at 9
shortstick
1st Line
1st Line

Postby shortstick » Wed May 17, 2017 8:54 pm

AV wins the face and calls timeout. Time for some magic to pull out the Don's win
Last edited by shortstick on Wed May 17, 2017 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shortstick
1st Line
1st Line

Postby shortstick » Wed May 17, 2017 8:56 pm

AV wins it!!!!!!!!!!!!
shortstick
1st Line
1st Line

Postby Grampa Lax » Wed May 17, 2017 10:32 pm

Amador wins it in double overtime 10-9 Huge win for the Dons. They will meet De la Salle who beat MV 8-6 in the final Saturday afternoon May 20 at 3 pm at De La Salle. Who would have figured ??. Congrats to the Dons . They came to play and deserved the win.
Last edited by Grampa Lax on Thu May 18, 2017 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grampa Lax
NCLF MVP
NCLF MVP

Postby rolax » Thu May 18, 2017 1:55 am

Great win for AV, I guess someone from EBAL can stop SRV... AV beat DLS by 1 back in early March, but that was a long long time ago so I would assume the team's schemes have changed considerably.
rolax
Fan
Fan

Postby shortstick » Thu May 18, 2017 8:59 am

some final thoughts on last night's AV vs SRV battle. First, it is very difficult to text without typos while watching and reporting on a double OT NCS semifinal. I dont have those high school skills for that level of performance. Second, the difference in the game (and the difference between last night's game and the regular season game between these two teams) was that last night AV came out believing they could win and knew that they had to take it to SRV right from the first F/O and they did just that. I think SRV assumed they were going to roll over AV just like the did in the first game and had done to pretty much all their opponents this season. In the regular season game, AV came out like they didnt think they could win and it showed in the first half. Last night, AV led the entire game with the exception of a brief time in Q4. At times SRV showed subtle signs of concern moving in the direction of frustration (SRV had NINE shots off the pipe that could have easily gone in but went in AV's favor) and finally, desperation by the SRV players with some uncharacteristically wild and off target shots.

In my opinion, the key sequence of the game (although the SRV fans may dispute it), was the full length of the field loose ball battle that took more than a minute going from the AV goal end all the way through midfield into the AV box that was picked up by Amador Valley and fired in to tie the game back up in the last 30 seconds. The AV players just kept kicking, passing, throwing, and flipping the ball in their direction inches in front of the SRV sticks in a slow but intense sequence of multiple individual battles for the ball that AV players won EVERY time. There were at least 6 different individual GB battles all won by AV players to progress the ball down and put the ball in the goal to tie it up. From that point, on SRV players, coaches, and fans seemed to deflate recognizing that Amador Valley was not going to be bullied and would not back down from the Wolves. Kudos to Coach Kruger and his staff for instilling in their team the belief that they could win this game and the NCS Championship! Now its on to the finals where DLS is waiting and hungry after being turned back in last year's Championship by MV. I believe this will be a close game played in very hot conditions. AV will need to play their best game of the year to bring home their FIRST EVER NCS Championship. I also believe that Kruger and the Dons can pull it off because they believe they can win it all now.
shortstick
1st Line
1st Line

Postby Grampa Lax » Sat May 20, 2017 8:41 am

I think shortstick reported it accurately. The Dons came to play and wanted it more and were better prepared,coached and deserved the win . A tough loss for the wolves who had an incredible season but were not ready either physically or mentally for what hit them Wednesday night. All the talk was who they would play on Saturday and no film was watched nor discussion about individual Amador players and their outstanding fogo guy. Even with all the mistakes and 9 shots bouncing off the pipes at the net they had the ball with the lead in the last minute but turned it over twice and couldn't run out the clock. I think the seeding committee 's got it right in the end but it shows that the game must be played and that the high seeds must bring it every time or you will go away empty. A valuable life lesson.

Hope someone will report on today's final at DLS. Might be nice to see a new champion.

Down south in the San Diego Section another big upset as Torrey Pines the favorite and #1 seed and ranked second in the state was beaten by the 4 seed Coronado 6-4 and Coronado will play La Costa Canyon tonight in that section championship. Also congrats to the new Div two champs Campolindo who beat Marin Academy last night in an exciting game 13-12. Good for the Cougars. A long time in coming and well deserved.

Finally having recently turned 80 I watched my grandson in his last game as a Wolf Wednesday night. After such a fantastic season for SRV he was left devastated by the loss. Sadly he also was injured on the last Amador scoring play in front of the net with 30 seconds left that tied it in regulation. He couldn't return for the 2 OT's. A tough way to exit.

Afterwards I told him I thought in looking back over a lifetime I grew and matured more from my mistakes, losses and disappointments than the successes and wins in life. I think that will also be his recollection some day as well. However, today it hurts. Fortunately for him he will continue to play the game next year at Marquette University in Milwaukee on a scholarship. All in all it has been a great ride and fun for my grand kids and for old Grampa Lax.
Grampa Lax
NCLF MVP
NCLF MVP

PreviousNext

Return to High School