Philly lacrosse coming to Nor Cal with St Joseph Prep Hawks

Postby Grampa Lax » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:40 pm

MVLAX1234 suggested in response to the piece on SI’s ambitious schedule that no team had ever come to Nor Cal from the Philadelphia region. That changed this week as the St Joseph Prep Hawks a Jesuit prep school founded in 1851 in Philadelphia came West during their spring break to take on first SRV Monday night and then fellow Jesuit school St Ignatius tonight in San Francisco .

St Joseph appeared to be one of the better teams in the Penn East PIAA league and indeed were league champions in 2015.They were off to a bit of a rough start this year losing to the Hill Academy perhaps the best team in the country and to Malvern Prep another powerhouse in the East. But hey they were merely to play a little ole western public high school as a tune up first before taking on SI weren't they?

According to the SRV parents at the game last night both the Hawk parents and players were very chippy, superior acting and seemed to view the SRV game as a mere practice effort before taking on their real opponent their fellow Jesuit school, St Ignatius this evening.

I don’t think they were prepared for the Wolves. After upsetting Torrey Pines last week in San Diego the Wolves split their last two games with La Costa Canyon ( losing the next night not surprisingly) but bouncing back to defeat Friday night Coronado 8-5 the same team that had defeated Monte Vista 12-3 two days before..

The Wolves lead 3-0 at half. They extended that lead to 8-1 in the fourth quarter with the Hawks scoring a second goal in the closing minutes making it a 8-2 final for SRV. The visitors went from overconfidence, to frustration, shock and anger .The Wolves now 11-2 are I believe the clear favorite to win NCS.

The SRV defense was totally dominant as they had been against Torrey Pines were they had lead that one 6-0 at the half. After the game SRV Coach Worstell told his team that this was the best defensive team he had ever had at SRV and felt they are the best defensive team in California this year. With three seniors and all three poles, goalie, and LSM D1 commits they just keep improving. The young defensive middies so over whelmed in the opener with SI keep getting better as well.

It won’t get any easier for the Easterners tonight in San Francisco as SI (notwithstanding the Lax power computers that still lists Torrey Pines number 1 in the state ) is in my opinion the best team in the entire West and thanks to the SRV upset of Torrey Pines if SI romps tonight as I think they will and has a successful east coast swing next week the CATS will end up being best in the west at the end of the season. West coast and Nor Cal lacrosse is closing the gap with the game played in the East and not just in San Francisco. Go CATS!

Torr
Last edited by Grampa Lax on Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Grampa Lax
NCLF MVP
NCLF MVP

Postby Grampa Lax » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:24 pm

Score just reported St Ignatius 10 St Joseph 6. Hymn not as big a win as I thought. Maybe Wolves have closed the gap a bit on SI?
Grampa Lax
NCLF MVP
NCLF MVP

Re: Philly lacrosse coming to Nor Cal with St Joseph Prep H

Postby Billax » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:29 am

Thanks for the game report and context, Grampa Lax! I greatly appreciate the effort you put in to keep all of us posted. Circumstances find me living in North Carolina, where NCAA DI Lacrosse is easy to access. My home is ten minutes away from UNC's Fetzer Field and seven minutes away from Duke's Koskinen Stadium, but my heart resides at 2001 37th Avenue in San Francisco, which is 2,831 miles away from my current home.
Sports don't build character, they reveal it. - Heywood Broun
Billax
Forum Father
Forum Father

Postby Grampa Lax » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:18 am

Thanks Billx . Sadly their seems little interest in keeping this forum going. My last year as turning 80 and having last grandson a senior is enough. To think a few years past in your heydayy there was once 100 people on line at the same time! It would be nice to hear from some one in Sacrament e.g as to how Granite Bay highly ranked in the state and 9-2 might be an obstacle to another all EBAL NCS final or perhaps Marin Catholic reaching the final four now paying in NCS Div 1? Acalanes now 11-1 will meet SRV in a Saturday afternoon game on April 28 at SRV. What do the Royal Blue followers think of that one?

In another shocker last night Torrey Pines still ranked #1 in California by the Lax Power computers was demolished by Cherry Creek of Denver 15-4. However Cherry Creek in turn had lost earlier in the year to another Denver team Regis Jesuit 14-11. And in turn Regis Jesuit was badly beaten by the same Torrey Pines team 12-2 back on March 30! A bit crasy ? Who's on first? and What's on second?

Still think if SI can successfully complete its eastern swing next week they can regain the #1 standing in the entire far west. Can Monte Vista 9-5 recover from losing all three of their games in So Cal during spring break? The Mustangs still have all three EBAL horses to play Amador,11-2, DLS 12-2, and SRV 11-2. Although still a lot of season left SRV has all games but one at home ( Livermore) and already have decisive wins over Amador 15-6 and DLS 17-6 in the bank and have the inside track for both EBAL and NCS. April a great month for Lacrosse but wish some nice spring weather would finally show up?
Grampa Lax
NCLF MVP
NCLF MVP

Postby numbersman » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:40 pm

Congrats to SRV and SI on their big wins agains St. Joseph Prep. Its good to see an East Coast team traveling west for games on occasion. I think it lets them get an appreciation for how hard it is to travel cross country to different time zones and play - the same challenge that West Coast teams have travelling east.

Can Monte Vista 9-5 recover from losing all three of their games in So Cal during spring break?

While I would guess this is a long shot, in 2011 Monte Vista lost three games during their spring break (two in southern California to SoCal teams and one to Lincoln High in Portland), then managed to win 13 of their next 14 games, including two each against SRV and DLS, both of who had beat them pretty well before the spring break. That run was good enough to win NCS (but I think DLS won EBAL that year). So, anything is possible, but obviously an uphill climb :shock:
What if the hokey-pokey IS what its all about?
numbersman
NCLF All American
NCLF All American

Postby Grampa Lax » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:39 am

Well a good start last nite numbersman with MV knocking off Amador 11-9. The Mustangs still undefeated in league play( 6-0 )and that's what counts. It could get interesting if they also top DLS at home on April 28th. There is also a tough game with Acalanes who are 11-1 next Tuesday. However the Dons strength of schedule is suspect . I think MV will roll on to their final away game with SRV on May 6th for all the marbles. That should be a dandy!
Grampa Lax
NCLF MVP
NCLF MVP

Return to High School