SI's 2017 schedule: Crazy, or Crazy like a Fox?

SI's 2017 schedule: Crazy, or Crazy like a Fox?

Postby Billax » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:02 pm

I have never seen any Western Lacrosse team take on so many top teams, or make so many cross country trips. This is a CRAZY schedule! What is the word in SF about the 2017 Wildcats?

• Fly to SoCal for a Torrey Pines game on 3/11
• Fly to Dallas to play Gonzaga AND Brophy at Dallas Jesuit on 3/17
• Take on Kent Denver at SI on 3/21
• Take on St. Margaret’s Episcopal at SI on 4/5
• Take on Loyola LA at SI on 4/8
• Take on St. Joseph’s Prep of Pennsylvania at SI on 4/12
• Fly to Baltimore to take on Landon 4/17
• Meet Garden City at a neutral site on 4/19
• Play Chaminade on Long Island on 4/20

Either this is crazy, or Coach Packard believes he’s got the team of a lifetime! Which will it turn out to be? I'm all in for SI, but man, does this schedule look tough! Go Wildcats!

Good luck to the Wildcats this season!
Sports don't build character, they reveal it. - Heywood Broun
Billax
Forum Father
Forum Father

Re: SI's 2017 schedule: Crazy, or Crazy like a Fox?

Postby MVLAX1234 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:59 am

I believe Chris is a competitive as a fox. Each year he states that his current team is the best ever and he is a master motivator. Big argument that says the 2013 team was the best ever although 2009 was pretty darn strong too. This year's team is supposed to be pretty good with some depth and look forward to seeing them play. The interesting point is that other East Coast teams are agreeing to play SI AND that SI allows the team to travel. On the girls side they have also allowed them to travel back East to play some strong teams. So far, the school and the Jesuit tradition has been well represented by both the team and parents...as long as that keeps up the access to travel exists.

For several years now SI has proven that it belongs on the field with any team in the country....only teams that appear to hesitate to schedule SI are teams from Philly. Although economics comes into play, Nor Cal is waiting for East Coast teams to travel to SF for some early and warm season games. Boys Latin travels to Florida...so why not others come here.

Looking forward to them playing well and the rest of NorCal lax to play their best against the best.
MVLAX1234
1st Line
1st Line

Postby Grampa Lax » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:46 pm

Actually this year a Philly team is coming to the West coast the St John Prep Hawks from Philly and have games against both SRV on 4/10 and then with SI on 4/12. This team is one of the better teams in the Penn East PIAA Catholic league and appear they will be a decent challenge to both our local schools. How good will SI be this year? As an outsider they are always the gold standard by which all teams in Northern Cal are measured . It's a senior dominant team in which its Fog City off season component generally excelled this past fall and winter. Also this past January a senior pickup team named Dawg City won a recent tournament played in the park in SF. They defeated pick up teams from De LaSalle , Monte Vista, and Alcatraz Outlaws among others. The team did have 3 ringers from SRV playing defense. I would expect they will still be the class of the west but not in the league with either the 2013 and 2015 teams that went 21-1 and 18-1 respectively.

There will be some stiff competition locally from both Monte Vista and San Ramon Valley in back to back games for SI to open the season . MV was the best team in the state last year posting a 21-1 ( a forfeiture) and in fact defeated SI 8-5 . SRV meets the Wildcats in the traditional opener for both this Saturday afternoon in San Francisco followed by SI at MV in Danville three days later on February 28th.

I think SRV will be very good as they lost the fewest kids to graduation in the EBAL and have 7 starters who are D1 commits two on offense and 5 on defense( 3 Denver, and one each to Princeton ,North Carolina, Marquette and Bryant). Think the Wolves will be slight favorites to win NCS. The game Saturday may show a lot as to who will dominate in Northern California. Have to favor the Wildcats as the SRV strength is primarily defense and SI offense.coupled with a good defense as well.

MV lost a ton of seniors but still will challenge SRV in the North Coast Section. Both SRV and MV play challenging 20 game regular season schedules including a trip to So Calif for three games each at the spring break. Oddly DLS who upset SI back in 2014 and went on to win the NCS is not playing SI this year and has a rather easy 14 game schedule other than its games with its EBAL rivals MV and SRV. There are no trips to So Cal nor hosting anyone other than local opponents. DLS as always is a sleeper but suspect a step or two behind SI, MV and SRV. They play a huge game with SRV again early on March 10th at DLS.

Finally Bellermine could perhaps mount a challenge to SI in the Central Coast but a long shot I suspect at best. Bottom line the Wildcats are the team to beat again this year in Nor Cal but there are some talented challengers. Good lacrosse is being played today in Northern California at other places in addition to SI.
Grampa Lax
NCLF MVP
NCLF MVP

Postby Grampa Lax » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:12 pm

The SI opener has been changed to 3:30 pm Saturday with SRV on campus at 2001 37th ave in San Francisco.The JV game has been postponed.
Last edited by Grampa Lax on Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Grampa Lax
NCLF MVP
NCLF MVP

Postby Billax » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:57 pm

Thanks, Grampa Lax!
After watching my youngest play 15 years of Lax (starting in 2nd grade), he's done graduated from college. He's working at an Investment Banking firm with huge work requirements, so I hardly hear from him, much less see him! What's a guy to do. I currently live 2,817.3 miles from San Francisco. Time to fly West! Probably won't make the SRV game, but I'm planning to spend three weeks (maybe more) in the Bay Area watching HS lax games! I'm retired, so I can use my time as I see fit... and what I see fit to do is ... watch NorCal Lacrosse teams beat the poo out of each other!
Sports don't build character, they reveal it. - Heywood Broun
Billax
Forum Father
Forum Father

Postby Grampa Lax » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:17 am

Great Billax
Always good to hear from you. My last year as well as my youngest grandson is a senior. Hope some others will speak up this year since this is the only blog exclusively for Nor Cal lacrosse. There is a lot going on and the price is right!
Grampa Lax
NCLF MVP
NCLF MVP

Postby Laxdad2 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:32 pm

Hi Grampa Lax, would welcome your insights to the game last Sat. Was the game as one sided as the score or did the SRV boys have an off day?
Laxdad2
3rd Line
3rd Line

Postby Grampa Lax » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:48 pm

No Laxdad 2 SI is as good as advertised. After crushing SRV 16-4 they followed with another blow out win last night over MV at MV 19-10. The most significant factor in the SRV game besides the fact that the Wolves committed 19 turnovers was the total dominance of the SI middies. These boys are mostly seniors who have been playing together since the 6th grade and have been the core of the Nor Cal 2017 3 D team which has been nationally dominant. They are big strong,fast, skilled, and confident. The middie line for SRV is mostly sophs and freshman. They simply were overwhelmed. They also lost nearly every faceoff with a freshman who has potential but again young and inexperienced. SI exposed a lot of weaknesses in the Wolves that may be a problem for them all season.

The game last night at MV was more of the same although MV has some scorers in Chris Ryan, Chase Jolie and Joe Petersen. Si was penalized a number of times last night and I was advised that 5 of the Mustang goals were scored when they were a man up. Si substituted early on. This SI team is highly motivated as this is the last season for some 17 or so seniors.They would like more than anything to see a high national ranking. I think that is quite possible. Their next game is against Torrey Pines and if they blow out a good SoCal team watch out. They may be on their way to something very special. Coach Packard may indeed have his best team ever.
Grampa Lax
NCLF MVP
NCLF MVP

Postby Grampa Lax » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:17 am

It will be interesting to see if SI can continue its winning ways tomorrow in Southern Calif against Torrey Pines. The SI win over SRV looks even more impressive as SRV has bounced back from their opening drubbing by beating Cal High 18-1 and tonight totally dominating DLS 17-6. I think SRV is playing up to its potential as one of the favorites to win NCS. Two big games this coming week for the Wolves with Bellarmine coming to Danville Tuesday night and then undefeated Amador Valley at SRV next Friday night. Should be fun to watch.. I think SI will win big tomorrow in So Cal.
Grampa Lax
NCLF MVP
NCLF MVP

Postby Grampa Lax » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:13 pm

Oops
Torrey Pines 14 SI 11.
Grampa Lax
NCLF MVP
NCLF MVP

Next

Return to High School