NCS lacrosse championships 2016?

Re: NCS lacrosse championships 2016?

Postby Grampa Lax » Sun May 22, 2016 12:44 pm

For those that missed it here was the East Bay times story of the semifinal game between MV and SRV.

The shoe may be on the other foot next year as SRV has the fewest starting seniors graduating (4) in EBAL and their defense including all 5 Div 1 defenseman are back along with their leading scorer. IMO SRV will next year be the team to beat in the EBAL and looking for revenge. So the beat goes on with these two old rivals.

boys lacrosse: Monte Vista downs San Ramon Valley again to advance to title game

By Daniel Mano

dmano@bayareanewsgroup.com

Posted: 05/18/2016 10:11:43 PM PDT | Updated: 4 days ago

DANVILLE -- Nate Fernandez was so instrumental Wednesday that Wiley Bonham and Devin Spencer, who each had hat tricks, and both head coaches noted the junior's influence in the Monte Vista boys lacrosse team's 12-8 triumph over rival San Ramon Valley in a North Coast Section Division 1 semifinal.
He worked so hard the whole game on ground balls and that's what we really needed," Bonham said. "Nate set the tone there. Those ground balls really saved us in the end."

Fernandez's most impressive face-off was right after a goal by the host Mustangs (21-1). He won the ensuing draw and dished to Bonham, who slung in a score seven seconds after the first of a three-goal swing that proved too much for the Wolves (12-9) to overcome.

Chris Ryan added two goals and an assist, Poochie Stemmler had a score and two helpers and Joe Tabor tallied 11 saves to send Monte Vista to the NCS Division 1 final Saturday at 2 p.m. against De La Salle, which outlasted Granite Bay 14-13 in overtime of the other semifinal.

What made the win "extra emotional" for Fernandez, according to coach Joe Rabinowitz, was that he transfered to Monte Vista from San Ramon Valley before this season. That was particularly the case because Fernandez didn't play much against the Wolves on senior night two weeks ago, when Monte Vista won 8-6 to secure the East Bay Athletic League title.
"I told him, 'You're going to get another chance -- be ready,'" Rabinowitz said. "And he was. Nate performed tonight."

The victory was also sweet revenge for the Mustangs' senior class, which lost to the Wolves in last year's NCS title game and were bounced by SRV in a semifinal as freshmen.
"Every time we play San Ramon it's a big game," Spencer said. "To beat 'em two times in one year is even bigger, and on this stage it's huge."

Jack Phillips and Drew Erikson scored twice apiece for the Wolves and Joe Carrington had two assists.

"We showed up ready to play. I'm really proud of the troops," San Ramon Valley coach Peter Worstell said. "It was tight all the way until they just went on a great run of possessions. That's where the separation started."

Rabinowitz praised his team's ability to play together and said the scoring flurry made all the difference.

"First quarter is kind of a boxing match, throw your jab and feel them out, and then we figure them out and make adjustments," he said. "We tend to go on runs. This team has been so consistent. We've got three seniors playing attack and these guys know how to get buckets."
Last edited by Grampa Lax on Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Grampa Lax
NCLF MVP
NCLF MVP

Postby numbersman » Sun May 22, 2016 6:23 pm

Going back to the discussion on what the requirements were for Div 1 v. Div 2 schools for lacrosse, see the highlighted in red sections below. I haven't done the math, but it looks like this would move Marin Catholic and maybe Acalanes up to Div. 1 for next year's NCS playoffs?

NCS adds open division for football playoffs
By Phil Jensen, pjensen@bayareanewsgroup.com
POSTED: 04/05/2016 10:53:24 AM PDT | UPDATED: ABOUT A MONTH AGO

EL CERRITO -- A proposal for a four-team Open Division in football passed easily at the North Coast Section Board of Managers meeting Tuesday.

The vote was 44-3 in favor with 1 abstention. The Open Division would start next season, and the teams would be selected by the NCS At-Large and Seeding Committee before any other division brackets are determined.

Any team picked for the Open Division would have the right to displace the division champion in its natural division to qualify for the CIF NorCal championships. Only NCS Open Division teams will be eligible to compete in NorCal or state Open Division championship games.

"It was expected. I think it's something that most schools supported, most coaches supported," said De La Salle High athletic director Leo Lopoz about the new NCS Open Division for football. "I think there may be some adjustments and some tweaking.

"It allows us to get a Division 1 representative."

A proposal to have NCS competitive equity divisions in certain sports passed 29-19. The sports are football, basketball, girls volleyball, water polo, baseball, softball and lacrosse. Teams that will move up in divisions include Clayton Valley Charter football (to Division 1), Campolindo football (to Division 2), Bishop O'Dowd's basketball teams (to Division 2), and El Cerrito's and Newark Memorial's boys basketball teams (to Division 1).

NCS competitive equity is based on a point system. Any team with an eight-point average (or a total of 24 points) in the NCS playoffs during a three-year period would be required to move to the next highest division. The point system is as follows: 15 points for winning a section championship, 10 points for playing in a section championship contest, six points for playing in a semifinal game, three points for playing in a quarterfinal game and one point for playing in the NCS playoffs.
What if the hokey-pokey IS what its all about?
numbersman
NCLF All American
NCLF All American

Postby Grampa Lax » Mon May 23, 2016 5:01 pm

Thanks numbersman. have a question?

What is the thinking that will force a school like Marin Catholic to play up to Div 1 just because of their success for the past three years. They were big underdogs to Acalanes in both 2014 and 2015 but won in overtime in 2014 . Even those championship years as well as this year they lost to the EBAl powers. ( MV, DLS, SRV) This is a school of under 400 boys and about 350 girls why should their success be punished and force them to play against schools twice and sometimes 3 times their size. They have a great coach play a challenging schedule and have good kids . If they have an anticipated lights out year ahead they could always petition up. The MC girls do that as the Div 2 competition for the girls is a bit slim. I bet the parents and fans of MC are happy were they are in Div 2. What is the rationale there? Seems very unfair. Year in and year out a school with 400 boys can't compete successfully or at least at the NCS championship level with schools with enrollments 3 times their size.. Was that rule really meant for lacrosse? Puzzled???
Grampa Lax
NCLF MVP
NCLF MVP

Postby laxrat » Mon May 23, 2016 5:46 pm

Grampa Lax wrote:Thanks numbersman. have a question?

What is the thinking that will force a school like Marin Catholic to play up to Div 1 just because of their success for the past three years. They were big underdogs to Acalanes in both 2014 and 2015 but won in overtime in 2014 . Even those championship years as well as this year they lost to the EBAl powers. ( MV, DLS, SRV) This is a school of under 400 boys and about 350 girls why should their success be punished and force them to play against schools twice and sometimes 3 times their size. They have a great coach play a challenging schedule and have good kids . If they have an anticipated lights out year ahead they could always petition up. The MC girls do that as the Div 2 competition for the girls is a bit slim. I bet the parents and fans of MC are happy were they are in Div 2. What is the rationale there? Seems very unfair. Year in and year out a school with 400 boys can't compete successfully or at least at the NCS championship level with schools with enrollments 3 times their size.. Was that rule really meant for lacrosse? Puzzled???

I don't know if MC was an underdog against Acalanes in 2015, both the games they played against eachother were won and lost by 1. Also, MC actually did beat DLS in 2015 when they met in the regular season.
I am not sure the rationale behind the rule change, perhaps it's just in reaction to MC winning D2 for the past 3 years.
laxrat
Fan
Fan

Postby numbersman » Mon May 23, 2016 11:29 pm

First, I want to point out its not my rule - it's NCS's rule, and based on the newspaper article, it would appear to apply to lacrosse as well. The application to Marin Catholic was based on the points totals they would have from being in the finals for Div. II the last three years. Has nothing to do with school size, just program success.

I assume the thought process was that any team that is amassing 24 points over the three year period must be dominant at their division in that sport and should move up to tougher competition. I assume if they didn't fair well at Div. I, they would drop back to Div. II when their three year point total fell below 24.
What if the hokey-pokey IS what its all about?
numbersman
NCLF All American
NCLF All American

Postby 2019laxdad » Tue May 24, 2016 9:19 am

I can't speak to the appropriateness of the NCS's method of bumping programs up to D1, but when public schools and private schools compete against each other, it is worthless to use enrollment as a basis for potential competitive strength. Private schools can and do recruit. They attract athletes from far beyond their local area. The athletic "density" of students at the better known private schools is much, much higher than at public schools.
2019laxdad
Fan
Fan

Postby coastlaxer » Sun May 29, 2016 9:42 pm

All the powerhouses will seem to be having a rebuilding year except for SRV. SRV as GL has said has the most returning from the starting line up. De La Salle and Monte Vista both taking huge hits for next year. Hats off to both first year coaches for having very successful seasons. De La Salle returns their entire starting attack along with a majority of their defense. However the midfield is completely gone. The complete opposite with Monte Vista losing their attack as well as star goalie and a few at the midfield. Next year should be a pot full of twists, turns, and upsets.
coastlaxer
Fan
Fan

Postby Grampa Lax » Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:10 pm

The NCS website has noted for 2017 which schools will play in Div 1 or Div 2 for the playoffs next year. Nothing is said on the website about size of school (1400 or more etc.) Some obvious changes Livermore will compete at the Div 2 level. Yes Marin Catholic both boys and girls will be in the Div 1 brackets. The girls were already playing Div 1. Note a number of the girls teams Acalanes, Miramonte, Novato, Piedmont and University High in SF will be playing Div 1. The Boys teams from those schools appear to remain at Div 2 level. Novato girls were in fact already playing at that level and were Div 1 champs this past season and went undefeated.

Sounds pretty fair. I'm sure Livermore will be much more comfortable playing at the Div 2 level.

LACROSSE DIVISIONS 2017
BASED ON 9-12 2015-2016 YEAR ENROLLMENT
LAST UPDATED: 5/22/16

DIVISION I - UP TO 16-TEAM BRACKET
ACALANES (G)
AMADOR VALLEY
BELLA VISTA
BERKELEY
CALIFORNIA
CARONDELET (G)
CASA GRANDE (B)
CLAYTON VALLEY CHARTER
COLLEGE PARK
DAVIS
DE LA SALLE (B)
DOUGHERTY VALLEY
DUBLIN
FOOTHILL (Pleasanton)
GRANADA
GRANITE BAY
JESUIT(B)
LAS LOMAS
LINCOLN
MARIN CATHOLIC B&G GP13
MIRAMONTE (G)
MONTE VISTA
NORTHGATE
NOVATO (G)(P14)
OAK RIDGE
PIEDMONT (G)
RANCHO COTATE
REDWOOD
SAN FRANCISCO UNIVERISTY (G)
SAN RAMON VALLEY
ST. FRANCIS(G)
WASHINGTON

Division 2 - UP TO 16-TEAM BRACKET
ACALANES (B)
ALHAMBRA
BAY SCHOOL (B)
BENTLEY (B)
BEREAN CHRISTIAN (G)
BISHOP O’DOWD
BRANSON
CAMPOLINDO
CARDINAL NEWMAN
CASA GRANDE (G)
CASA ROBLES
CHRISTIAN BROTHERS(G)
DREW (B)
HEAD-ROYCE(G)
JUSTIN-SIENA
LICK WILMERDING
LIVERMORE
MARIN ACADEMY
MIRAMONTE (B)
NOVATO (B)
OAKLAND MILITARY INST.(B)
PETALUMA
SAN MARIN
SAN RAFAEL (B)
SIR FRANCIS DRAKE
SONOMA ACADEMY
ST. MARY’S CHS (Berkeley) (B)
ST. MARY’S (Stockton)
STUART HALL (B)
TAMALPAIS (G)
TERRA LINDA (B)
URBAN SCHOOL
WINDSOR (G)
YGNACIO VALLEY
P= Petition
G= Girls Only
B= Boys Only
Grampa Lax
NCLF MVP
NCLF MVP

Postby carrera » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:29 pm

Sorry to see Marin Catholic move out of D2. Though Acalanes (this year, and probably next) is not the team that it was, those were some great title games between the two schools in the recent past.
carrera
1st Line
1st Line

Postby Grampa Lax » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:29 pm

Yes carerra those were great games!!

I would like to hear from some MC folks as to whether this was a voluntary move of per the information we received from numbersman they were forced to play up because of their success.
I suspect they were happy being a small school to stay were they were! The MC girls are also playing Div1 which they have done so for a couple years but note they have petitioned to play up.

Apparently the Acalanes girls are moving to Div 1 but not the boys, What gives there careera if you know? The school size wise is just under 1400 kids!
Grampa Lax
NCLF MVP
NCLF MVP

PreviousNext

Return to High School