NCS lacrosse championships 2016?

Re: NCS lacrosse championships 2016?

Postby Grampa Lax » Fri May 13, 2016 12:39 pm

carrera wrote:As usual, a mix of close matches and blowouts in the first round.

Interesting second round matches in D2 will be Campolindo v Marin Academy, and Acalanes v University (Acalanes has to travel into SF for the game at Kezar which I assume is grass - an unfamiliar surface).

In D1, there doesn't appear to be much of interest in the second round except Granite Bay v Amador Valley (at AV even though they are the 6 seed playing the 3rd seeded GB).

Generally the opening round of the NCS in most cases is one of blowouts for the tops seeds #2.DLS 17 #15 Berkeley 1. #3 Granite Bay 15 # 14 Clayton Valley 2 # 4 SRV 20 #13 Las Lomas 4 eg.. # 1 MV had a bye.

So that was true with one huge exception a 12 seed College Park beat a 5 seed Davis 13-12. What happened ?? Davis was ranked # 4 in both the max Prep and lax power computer rankings for weeks . Davis had a 15-3 record and the computers agreed with that high lofty ranking for weeks. At the seeding meeting of the NCS last Saturday the committee pretty much went along with the computers and rating services but finally jumped SRV with a 10-8 record over Davis to exchange 4th and 5 th places for the playoffs. I think the computers and the folks entering the information in the computers tend to over evaluate the won loss record and fail to take into account the strength of schedule and the league teams play in. ( Read EBAL) Davis' record was frankly suspect. In fairness they had defeated College Park 11-6 in the regular season. However Davis just wasn't the 4th best team in the NCS. Give credit to College Park as it has been rare ( maybe never) that a 12 seed can knock off a 5 seed in the opening round. Don't expect lightening to strike twice when the Falcons meet the Wolves tonight at SRV.

Agree with Carrera the best game of the night in the quarterfinals will be Amador and Granite Bay game.. GB suffers from the same malady as Davis although less so. Amador lost to GB by only 1 in the regular season and the Dons are fully capable of beating them which would result in an all EBAL semifinal matches next Wednesday. (MV/ SRV and DLS/ Amador or GB.
Grampa Lax
NCLF MVP
NCLF MVP

Postby Grampa Lax » Fri May 13, 2016 11:12 pm

Most of the scores are in from the quarterfinals and no surprises.
Div 1
Monte vista 20 Casa Grande 6
SRV 17 College Park 1
MV and SRV as expected will meet in one semifinal game at Monte Vista next Wednesday the 18th at 7pm

In the other bracket Granite Bay defeated Amador 8-6 and will meet the winner of the DLS Oak Ridge game which will be played Saturday night at DLS.

Div 2
Marin Catholic 16 Piedmont 10
Campolindo 11 Marin Academy 10 and

Those winners to meet at MC next Wednesday

In the other bracket
BOD 13 Miramonte 5
University High 6 Acalanes 5

University will play at BOD next Wednesday at 7 pm in the other semifinal match
Grampa Lax
NCLF MVP
NCLF MVP

Postby BHSVIDEODAD » Sat May 14, 2016 11:30 am

MV vs SRV is probably the big game. Thanks for all the info.
BHSVIDEODAD
All Star
All Star

Postby Grampa Lax » Sun May 15, 2016 2:50 am

2 seed De LaSalle eked out a win 8-7 over 7th seed Oak Ridge Saturday night thus setting up the other semifinal game for next Wednesday between De La Salle and Granite Bay in Concord.
De La Salle beat Granite Bay 15-10 in the regular season but were badly beaten by Monte Vista 14-6 in their EBAL matchup indeed trailing 11-2 opening the 4th quarter.

So Yes BHSVIDEODAD you are correct the semifinal game between SRV and MV will in all likelihood be THE GAME for all the marbles. SRV is playing its best lacrosse of the season and went toe to toe with MV only a week ago trailing only 3-2 at the half but losing at the end 8-6. I'm sure that DLS or GB might disagree but based on comparable scores, match ups, and who is peaking that semifinal would be a safe bet as THE GAME to watch. If nothing else you might ask the MV players who they feel is their biggest and last challenge to their quest for the NCS championship and an undefeated season.
I think they would say its their old rival SRV.
Grampa Lax
NCLF MVP
NCLF MVP

Postby Grampa Lax » Wed May 18, 2016 11:25 pm

There were some very hard fought and close semifinals games tonight in both the Div 1 and Div 2 but there were no upsets. So #1 and # 2 seeds meet for the championship in both divisions.
Div 1
MV 12 - SRV 8.
This game was closer than the final score indicates. It was tied 4-4 at the half and SRV grabbed a 6-5 lead in the early 3rd qt but then the SRV defense that had played so well for the past two games began to unravel . MV Scored three quick goals and lead 8-6 after three and scored 4 more in the fourth for their 4 goal margin. final 12-8

DLS 14- Granite Bay 13
This game was close all night, . GB was much improved from their 15-10 loss to DLS in the regular season. So DLS will play at MV in the final at MV at 2;00 PM Saturday afternoon for the NCS Div 1 championship

Div 2

Marin Catholic 14 Campolindo 12
Bishop O Dowd 14 University 9

Again two close hard fought games. Marin Catholic will host the Div 2 championship at 1pm Saturday in Kentfield.
Grampa Lax
NCLF MVP
NCLF MVP

Postby numbersman » Thu May 19, 2016 9:11 am

In looking back at the NCS Division 1 champions for the last 12 years (and considering that everybody was effectively Div. 1 up until 2011), the MCS champions by school are as follows:

DeLasalle - 4 times
Monte Vista - 4 times
San Ramon - 3 times
Redwood - 1 time

Despite the emergence of other lacrosse playing areas over the last few years (the Sacramento area in particular), the EBAL (and more specifically DLS, MV and SRV) continues to dominate the championship series. In most of those 12 years, the two teams playing for the championship were both EBAL teams, as will be the case again this year. I am pretty sure that MV and DLS will be playing each other for the championship for the 5th time!

Why the dominance of those three teams? Its hard to ignore that all three are heavily fed by the strong youth lacrosse programs in their respective areas, with the Diablo Scorpion club being the biggest feeder. There is a strong pipeline of players supported by good coaching, starting at the early youth levels. And who wouldn't rather spend their spring playing lacrosse than Baseball!?

I am an acknowledged MV homer and have my money on MV for the title this year. They are playing a DLS team that they beat earlier in the year, and I don't think there will be a let down for the championship game. I think for MV playing DLS is always a big game as it likely is for DLS as well. Historically DLS has had difficulty against great attack crews. MV had a great attack unit in 2011 and won the championship that year. They have a great attack crew again this year, and possibly the best overall squad talent-wise that MV has ever had. While I expect DLS will fight it out until the end, I predict MV will win by 2 or 3.

I would be interested in hearing what others think.
What if the hokey-pokey IS what its all about?
numbersman
NCLF All American
NCLF All American

Postby BHSVIDEODAD » Thu May 19, 2016 9:50 am

Game will be Saturday May 21, 2 pm at Monte Vista between De La Salle and Monte Vista.

I will be there filming for Lax.com.

LyneisFilm
BHSVIDEODAD
All Star
All Star

Postby BHSVIDEODAD » Thu May 19, 2016 10:08 am

One more question. What is the distinction between Div 1 and Div 2?
BHSVIDEODAD
All Star
All Star

Postby 2LaxFeet » Thu May 19, 2016 11:28 am

BHSVIDEODAD wrote:One more question. What is the distinction between Div 1 and Div 2?

Student Body
2LaxFeet
All Star
All Star

Postby numbersman » Thu May 19, 2016 2:45 pm

From another discussion on this forum back in 2011 when NCS first split into two divisions for lacrosse, it was based on student body numbers with over 1400 being Div. 1 and under 1400 being Div II. For single sex schools, (i.e. DLS and Carondolet) the actual student numbers are doubled in arriving at the designation for Division I or II. I am pretty sure that those numbers are still used. I also believe it is possible for a Division II school to petition to move up to Div. I, but not the other way around.

I have read news reports that CIF will be using a points based formula that will position schools into divisions based on their relative success over the past few seasons. This is supposed to start going into affect with the 2017 School year, but I am not sure how it is going to be rolled out or whether it will be done at the school level, or on a sport by sport basis.
What if the hokey-pokey IS what its all about?
numbersman
NCLF All American
NCLF All American

PreviousNext

Return to High School