SI takes on the top team in the Nation

SI takes on the top team in the Nation

Postby Billax » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:24 pm

On Tuesday of this week, after a transcontinental flight from San Francisco to Maryland, the jet-lagged Saint Ignatius Wildcats took on the McDonogh Eagles, (of the legendary MIAA–A Division Conference) – the #1 team in the country according to LaxPower's computer algorithms – and gave them all they could handle, ultimately falling 8-9 in the 4th OT. This continues SI's recent "Any time/Anywhere" challenge to the nation's top teams, including last years win over #2 in the country Landon. After having bussed from Maryland to Long Island, New York, the Wildcats will take on the Chaminade Flyers today, in yet another battle of wills with one of the nation's most storied programs!

GO 'cats!

Photos of the SI v McDonogh contest can the seen http://www.laxmagazine.com/multimedia/photos/2015-16/news/032916_gallery_mcdonogh_st_ignatius_john_strohsacker_hs_boys
Last edited by Billax on Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sports don't build character, they reveal it. - Heywood Broun
Billax
Forum Father
Forum Father

Re: SI takes on the top team in the Nation

Postby Billax » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:49 pm

... and today the Saint Ignatius Wildcats defeated Chaminade, the Long Island Powerhouse, 7-5. The first time these teams played each other was in 2013, at Chaminade. In that game, Chaminade prevailed, 5-4.

If you can take the top team in Maryland to 4 Overtimes before the contest is settled and then travel to New York and defeat one of the top 3-4 teams in New York two days later – both on foreign soil – I claim that at least one team from the Far West has reached parity with the best in the country.

Here's the Box score:

Boys Lacrosse
Thursday March 31, 2016 at Chaminade
St. Ignatius Prep (CA)
Overall 7-3 | Conference 0-1
Chaminade
Overall 2-1 | Conference 1-0
TEAMS 1 2 3 4 F
St. Ignatius Prep (CA) 3 0 1 3 7
Chaminade 2 0 3 0 5
GAME STATS
ST. IGNATIUS PREP (CA) GOAL ASSIST POINTS SAVES
Evans 3 0 3 0
Drosnart 1 0 1 0
Pollak 1 0 1 0
Gerrais 1 0 1 0
Schieber 1 0 1 0
Owen 0 0 0 11
CHAMINADE GOAL ASSIST POINTS SAVES
Liam Connors 1 1 2 0
Regan Quinn 1 1 2 0
Joe Delyra 1 0 1 0
Tom Martello 1 0 1 0
Luke Pacher 1 0 1 0
Jack Zullo 0 0 0 5

What a long, arduous journey it has been to get to this point. I am hoisting one tonight to Saint Ignatius Lacrosse, to all its teams, in all its seasons, to all its players, through nearly forty years of lacrosse at SI, and ... most of all... to the coaches who got SI to this grail. Here's to you Chris Packard, and to you Michael Abou-Jaoude, and to you Scott Brittain. Thank you all from this fan who has waited a long, long time for this moment!

Bill
Last edited by Billax on Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:36 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Billax
Forum Father
Forum Father

Postby carrera » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:06 pm

Bill,

Thanks...I had seen these SI results on the school's @SIscores twitter page....what a week for SI (and west coast) lacrosse.

I posted this above in the "History" thread, but here is an article about the (humble) early days of SI lax from a recent alumni magazine issue:

http://www.siprep.org/page.cfm?p=2532&eid=11065
carrera
1st Line
1st Line

Postby Billax » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:02 am

Thank you, Carrera! What a poignant article.
BTW, if you'll post more, so will I. While I spend most of my Lacrosse time in New Haven, time is not the best measure of interest. Passion is that measure. And measured that way, SI Is #2, Yale is #3, and NorCal Lacrosse is #1.

The Youth Leagues, the Youth travel teams, the battles within HS conferences... Even though I reside 3,000 miles away, And I am way unlocal any more, I'd love it if the guys who wrote game reports 5 years ago, would magically recreate the fabulous game reports, the analysis, the opinion pieces, the travel team results... that made the NorCal Lacrosse Forum the envy of the Lacrosse world.

I contend that the average NorCal lax fan, five years ago, knew more about the contests, the rankings, and the issues of Youth and High School lacrosse in NorCal than the fans of any other region in the nation!
Billax
Forum Father
Forum Father

Postby Grampa Lax » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:44 pm

Great for SI indeed!! What do those scores say about Nor Cal Lacrosse. The fact is Monte Vista spanked SI 8-5 at SI apparently leading 8-2 going onto the fourth quarter. It was no fluke!! .SRV was tied with SI 3 minutes into the fourth quarter before running out of gas. MV now undefeated and ranked #1 in Nor Cal may run the table as they have a fairly easy non conference schedule but still must face DLS Bellermine and finally SRV in the final game of the season on May 6th. It means folks there is great lacrosse being played this year in Nor Cal besides the Wildcats which can only enhance the reputation of the game in our area. Too bad as pointed out by Billax more folks don't appear ready to talk about it on this board.

Two teams in the Sacramento area Davis and Granite Bay look good . GB provided the stiffest test for MV earlier in the year losing by just one. They now are ranked # 2 but like many of the Sacramento teams play less that a challenging schedule. Can they hold up in the NCS playoffs? As to the Central Section Bellarmine has a couple losses but to powerhouses outside the area. They spanked SRV with their worst loss and may have a chance to upset SI later in the season. Glad to see Si not playing home and home any more with the weaker teams in their league and have instead a very challenging national schedule.

The EBAL dropped the home and home schedule a couple years ago that wasn't fair to the better teams nor to the more lacrosse challenged teams in the EBAL. SRV has made the most of this, scheduling besides SI, Lawrenville, Bellearmine, Vandergrift of Texas, and So Cal teams Santa Margarita, San Clemente, Palos Verdes, and Poway. as well as their EBAL rivals MV, DLS, Amador etc. Good for the Wolves. Coach Worstel believes a challenging schedule that takes some risks and incurs some losses makes you a better team at playoff time. The coach feels this year that the defending NCS champion Wolves will be a challenge to any one come May . A big EBAL game tonight when SRV and Amador square off at Amador. Should be a close one.
Last edited by Grampa Lax on Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grampa Lax
NCLF MVP
NCLF MVP

Inside Lacrosse talks up SI

Postby Billax » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:18 pm

Billax
Forum Father
Forum Father

Postby Grampa Lax » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:11 pm

Yes it was a close one but SRV defeats Amador 7-6 last night without their leading scorer Eric Arvesen . Circle May 6 when theses two old rivals SRV and MV will meet in the last game of the season and then maybe again in the NCS finals, SRV playing a challenging schedule will be the clear underdog but MV's lack of a tough out of league schedule may hurt them. . DLS , Granite Bay and Amador may have other ideas but think the NCS may well come down to who, is the best team in Danville. Saint Ignacious prides itself and rightfully so as a private school, that can draw ( recruit some say) kids from the Peninsula, SF and Marin . But can u imagine an all star team this year of kids from the east bay that attend MV, SRV, DLS and Amador ( EBAL). There is parity in Nor Cal this year that is quite remarakable. And It appears that Sacramento is not far behind all of which is only good for the reputation of our Nor Cal kids and the impression they are making on the lacrosse national scene. Great!!
Grampa Lax
NCLF MVP
NCLF MVP

Postby carrera » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:20 pm

Grampa Lax wrote:Too bad as pointed out by Billax more folks don't appear ready to talk about it on this board.

I am a particpant on more boards (golf and Porsche) than I can name, and have done so since the mid-90's when the Internet was something "new" and I can say that no board was harder to join (going through the signup phase) than this one. I remember trying to activate my account for several days unsuccessfully. If I had trouble activating an account, than I can only imagine how many others had the same problem. There has only been two new members in calendar 2016, and that has to be a board-related issue.

I no longer have any connection to HS lacrosse. I went to SI so I follow their team, and my oldest son played at Acalanes, but my other two boys don't play lacrosse, favoring baseball and golf as spring-semester sports. So some other folks are going to have to pitch in and start talking about teams, players and games. Hopefully some will.
carrera
1st Line
1st Line

Postby Grampa Lax » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:21 am

Hope u are right Carrera. We owe it to Billax to try to keep it going! But it does appear to be in trouble. Don't know who administers things or how that works.
Love your remarks and insight. ](*,)
Grampa Lax
NCLF MVP
NCLF MVP

Postby carrera » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:06 pm

SI just beat La Costa Canyon 6-5 at SI. The Cats were down 4-2 at half, then went up 5-4 in the 4th. LCC tied it with 54 seconds to go, and then SI scored the game winner with 28 seconds to play. Some video and updates here: https://twitter.com/SIscores
carrera
1st Line
1st Line

Next

Return to High School