March Madness SI and Monte Vista tonight in SF

March Madness SI and Monte Vista tonight in SF

Postby Grampa Lax » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:58 pm

Tonight in SF Monte Vista will visit SI in a game that will be a good test for both teams. SI, nationally ranked was extended last weekend against a better than expected SRV team finally pulling out a hard fought game that was tied at the beginning of the 4th quarter before winning it 9-5. Monte Vista the runner up in the EBAL and NC to SRV last year and who has the most returning starters is IMO the team to beat this year in both the EBAL and the North Coast. The Mustangs have won their first three games going away MC 17-8, Davis 19-5 and Acalanes 13-4. However SI is always the gold standard to judge a Nor Cal team's strength. Si also beat the best team in Texas last year, Highland Park a few days ago and are 2-0.

Finally the team that generated so much chatter on this board last fall due to their hiring of new coaches, De La Salle, gets their shot at St Ignatius on Friday. Those games and the games for SRV against Lawrenceville Wednesday night Bellarmine this Saturday and Vandergrift of Austin Texas on March 15th should give us a pretty good idea of who should be favored ln the EBAL and North Coast this year. Another good team to watch is Amador Valley currently 3-0 but as last year they haven't as yet played any real tough teams.

Hope someone can report on the game tonight. It should be very competitive. If anyone locally is to beat SI this year I think MV has the best chance of doing so. Gotta be some MV and SI fans that can check-in and let us know how it went!
Grampa Lax
NCLF MVP
NCLF MVP

Re: March Madness SI and Monte Vista tonight in SF

Postby BHSVIDEODAD » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:25 pm

Just saw on FB, Monte Vista 8, SI 5, WOW
BHSVIDEODAD
All Star
All Star

Postby laxrat » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:16 pm

Just heard about the win for Monte Vista, that's crazy. I'm happy someone in California finally dethroned SI
laxrat
Fan
Fan

Postby Grampa Lax » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:54 pm

That is just an incredible result for MV. They were in my opinion the team to beat in the EBAL and NCSthis year with so many really good players back on offense. Stemnmier, Bonham, Spencer, Emerson, Salamida, Piombo amoung other. However to beat a Nationally ranked SI team is quite a feat. Maybe a first for MV ? Yes, great to see there are other teams with talent out there besides the Wildcats. I guess it would be like a local highschool knocking off De La Salle in Football. Hope that someone that went to the game could give us a report. Congraulations to Monte Vista and their new coach.
Last edited by Grampa Lax on Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grampa Lax
NCLF MVP
NCLF MVP

Postby turfdawgies » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:16 pm

I was in attendance, and MV's defense played a fantastic game, not giving up any cheapies. MV goalie was outstanding all night.

SI made a late push to get the deficit to 3, but were down 8-2 at one point early in the 4th quarter.
turfdawgies
Practice Player
Practice Player

Postby numbersman » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:45 am

Monte Vista has beat SI before but it's been about 10 years since that last happened (my guess, without going back to figure out the exact year in Laxpower). Congratulations Mustangs on the big win. Now the target is on your back!

So often the game after a big win can be a trap game. Hopefully MV can keep the intensity and pace up!
What if the hokey-pokey IS what its all about?
numbersman
NCLF All American
NCLF All American

Postby Billax » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:32 pm

It's a pleasure to have numbersman's take on the history of the competition between these two fine teams. Not only have Mr. and Mrs. numbersman been legendary team parents for Monte Vista Lacrosse, but four of their Sons played lax at Monte Vista... and all four went on to play college Lacrosse, ranging from MCLA lacrosse to NCAA DI lacrosse. Doesn't get much better than that!

Just as an aside to this year's SI v MV game, Mrs. numbersman is held to be the Gold Standard of team Moms throughout all of NorCal! It all brings back fond memories to me!

Here are the MV ballers from the legendary Dutra family:

Zach Dutra - Chapman University, Monte Vista 2011

Nico Dutra – Bryant University, Monte Vista 2010

Andrew Dutra - Chico State, Monte Vista 2005

Dominic Dutra - UCSB (with law degree from SCU) Monte Vista 2003

... and young Lily plays Lacrosse at Monte Vista as well!

Congrats to Monte Vista on a fine win... and GO WILDCATS!
Sports don't build character, they reveal it. - Heywood Broun
Billax
Forum Father
Forum Father

Postby numbersman » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:00 pm

Billax,
So nice to hear from you and thanks for your tribute to Mrs. Numbersman and the lax playing Dutra's. You continue to possess great inside knowledge, even figuring out that my niece Lily also currently plays lacrosse at MV.

Mrs. Numbersman and I were visiting Niko this weekend and had the opportunity to sit together and watch JW and the Yale Bulldogs dismantle the Bulldogs of Bryant. Bryant got the better of Harvard yesterday to even up their record against the Ivies this season. I think they will have their hands full when they play Brown later this year.

Looks like the EBAL could be the usual dogfight again this year.
What if the hokey-pokey IS what its all about?
numbersman
NCLF All American
NCLF All American

Postby carrera » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:13 pm

Billax, nice post.

Go Cats! indeed.
carrera
1st Line
1st Line

Postby carrera » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:28 pm