Travel team costs

Re: Travel team costs

Postby hansel » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:53 pm

I used to agree 100% with WClax that it would be great to have all of our local "best" kids out east on one single team and competing against the very best but really, I think the growth/competition in NorCal has been a very good thing and that on any objective basis our local teams have done quite well back east. We used to have only one team representing Northern California (whatever iteration) NorCal, Talon, Outlaws representing 20+ kids per class around the rest of the country. We now have NorCal, Booth, ADVNC, 3d, Outlaws, AWE, Aces, MadLax, CaliLax (box), etc, etc all trying to show our local kids how the best play the game and then get them exposure to opportunities (i.e. really good academic schools) back east.
Why should it be limited to 20 kids per graduation year? Why shouldn't we have many teams locally that can do well back east?
Long Island has a ton of competitive summer travel teams that are seriously, seriously good (Long Island Express, Long Island Express North, FLG, Team 91, etc.) as exists in Philly (more than 8 summer travel teams including HHH, Dukes, NXT, LB3 Philly, etc.). We need to want to continue to build breadth across our programs to be closer to the LI and Philly models.
When our teams from Northern California travel outside of the West they tend to do well. Going 2-2 vs great teams in the east at an east coast tournament makes the kids better and sets them up to know what they need to do in order to be the best against the best east coast competition. I also agree that being able to stay local and playing with friends with great coaching is another equally important goal. Let's endeavor to make room for all options.
hansel
1st Line
1st Line

Postby wclax » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:54 pm

2019laxdad, couldn't agree more. My oldest son had amazing "Dad" coaches that taught him how to respect, honor, and play the game with an amazing attitude, passion and toughness. Took him places beyond his wildest dreams. The Dad's played in college at either D1 or D3 and had full time jobs. None of the dad's talked about their college resume and were quite humble - they just gave back and wanted to be around their kids and the kids in the COMMUNITY. I mention "dad's" because part of the pitch for travel teams is "no dad's". That can be taken either way (trust me, i've seen my fair share of crazy dad coaches and I understand why parents get driven away from certain situations), but I find the "no dad" coaching pitch humorous because these companies selling this pitch have and will coach their kids someday (if they don't, sad for them)..

Fast forward 5 years, some NCJLA club teams are acting crazy at the expense of the families. 95% of the NCJLA participants don't know any better and the travel team companies know it. They're easy prey. The travel team leaders seem to have very little involvement with the clubs they are asking to direct them business.

The NCJLA clubs taking these guys on is a slippery slope. I do think it self corrects itself though in terms of results. Look at the correlation of the clubs with a strong affiliation to a certain travel team. Look at both the NCJLA clubs performance by age group and the respective travel team performance with those kids.

Like it or not - Lacrosse is now soccer. 2019laxdad made the point that the cost to play lacrosse will be out of reach for many and he's right. NCJLA club leaders volunteer an enormous amount of time to introduce and enhance the game of lacrosse in their communities and the travel teams swoop in to sell their off-season product to make some serious dough. Its an unsustainable environment and one can only assume clubs will re-adjust their approach.
wclax
Practice Player
Practice Player

Postby Fanforlife » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:27 pm

wclax,

Not sure I'd agree that talent is not on the travel squads.
My sense is the players know who the talent is and that is why they flock to programs like Alcatraz, where they often see the top players.
Cost is high no doubt, but if player is that good ... they will make it work financially.
Problem is there are enough talented players (and families) willing to pay that it becomes self-perpetuating.
My son played on Alcatraz, and also did Adrenaline & West Coast Starz, played in many of the recruiting showcase camps, and played for SI.
He got recruited both at D1 as well as D3 level, from various schools.
In end he decided not to play in college. Went for academics instead. Also got opportunity to study abroad, join a fraternity, play intramural football, soccer, basketball, softball, and lacrosse. Had a great time.
Were the travel squads worth it?
Without a doubt.
The discipline and team work are things that last a lifetime.
Fanforlife

Postby wclax » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:53 pm

Fanforlife,
Sounds like your son did travel during different times. Times have changed.
Outlaws didn't have 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th grade teams 3/4/5 years ago. They also didn't have B teams at the time either. They also had different ownership and there are several new owners involved. With that comes the need to grow and earn more $$ - hence the drop down in age and talent level.
3D has also entered the market since your son was involved. They too have entered the younger age group market charging a lot of $$ to be a member.
The money is there and these travel companies feel they will get it, especially 3D given their national platform. But if the results from their tournaments are any indicator, they don't come close to getting all the talent they used to get.
wclax
Practice Player
Practice Player

Postby sionjy » Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:24 pm

I used to coach for a few of the travel teams in northern California, moved away for a job.
I recommend getting to know the coaches that coach your son's team (not just the heads of the company). Try to get an idea for the actual experience they are providing. You may find that some programs are all about the money or that the coaches are not that invested in the players... but you may find a great fit and some guys that really care.

From my own experience, I was disappointed with the rising prices for travel teams and started my own team of local players I coached or knew... charged each player $10 for the pinnies, $50 for the two tournaments we competed in, $50 for the house we rented for 3 days, $25 for the rental van, $15 for gas/food/etc. making it a whopping $150 per player (Taho and another bay area tournament). Players had a blast and did really well. I did this again last summer at the Oregon Classic with a bunch of freshmen & sophomores for about the same price.

For youth teams I would recommend this option over spending big bucks on a travel team. Throw in some practices of just passing/catching/shooting and simple body position defense (playing top side and adding a lift or poke check) and you will develop outstanding players.
sionjy
All Star
All Star

Postby wclax » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:27 am

wclax
Practice Player
Practice Player

Previous

Return to High School