NCS SEMI FINALS

Re: NCS SEMI FINALS

Postby laxrat » Sat May 23, 2015 5:47 pm

Grampa Lax wrote:DIV 2
Congrats to Marin Catholic. It appears playing a tough schedule pays off. The Dons will have to wait yet another year. Don't see much humility though with the Wildcat fans. Clearly any of the Div 2 teams were capable of winning the championship. Maybe Marin Catholic wanted it more?

It was a hard fought game. I was present at the game last night and can say that both teams wanted it bad. That's not to say it was a very clean game. There were some cheap shots from both teams, which is to be frown upon but also expected in a rivalry like this. In the end, my team pulled through and I'm happy about that. Adrian Jefferies of Acalenes played a good game.
laxrat
Fan
Fan

Postby carrera » Sun May 24, 2015 12:16 am

I was at the Dons-Wildcats game last night. Strong showing by MC. Great goaltending effort, and good transition play to take advantage of defensive letdowns by Acalanes. Missing Tyler Henderson was a huge loss for Acalanes the last half of the year. He was their best midfielder, and a "playmaker" on both offense and defense....his injury severely weakened Acalanes. Hope he can come back strong for his senior year. Acalanes needs to improve their man-up schemes....they were plodding and predictable.

This was a 9-8 game with two strong attempts at goal near the end....leave the comments about "heart" and "effort" for Facebook and not a site like this where we look at the game on more technical terms....there was strong effort on both sides.
carrera
1st Line
1st Line

Postby Lax2318 » Sun May 24, 2015 6:34 pm

carrera wrote:I was at the Dons-Wildcats game last night. Strong showing by MC. Great goaltending effort, and good transition play to take advantage of defensive letdowns by Acalanes. Missing Tyler Henderson was a huge loss for Acalanes the last half of the year. He was their best midfielder, and a "playmaker" on both offense and defense....his injury severely weakened Acalanes. Hope he can come back strong for his senior year. Acalanes needs to improve their man-up schemes....they were plodding and predictable.

This was a 9-8 game with two strong attempts at goal near the end....leave the comments about "heart" and "effort" for Facebook and not a site like this where we look at the game on more technical terms....there was strong effort on both sides.

Didn't see the MC/Acalanes game, was attending SRV's complete victory over MV. I did however see Acalanes victories over Campo (a young and inexperienced group who will get better) and MA (they seemed tight with less overall team depth). I hadn't seen MC all year but know from others that their defense is strong and Shane Kunst in goal terrific. Still thought that Acalanes team depth and overall skill especially at attack would rule the day. Sounds like Jeffries had a strong game just the same and I agree that Henderson loss was big for them though they have played effectively without him for more than 1/2 the year. Congrats to MC.

Am a little amused at your comments re: "heart and effort", Didn't realize that his site was restricted only to hard core lax strategy discussions. Assuming that parent's participate in this forum (and it is clear many do not have a solid foundation in this sport), it seems that talking about the intangibles is fair game??
Lax2318

Postby carrera » Sun May 24, 2015 11:16 pm

The implication (more than an implication...it was basically said point blank) was that MC played with "heart and effort", and Acalanes did not. Maybe I'm Mr. Spock, but to me that is overblown as a factor in a game like the NCS Championships. Sure, a kid or two could be distracted by homework or social things on some random Tuesday night game in March, but this is a championship game. Once the game starts, in my opinion, "bulletin board material" and "heart" takes a big backseat to a whole bunch of other more important things. If it makes posters like Noflow feel good that their boys have heart and effort, that's great. Post about it on FB or Instagram and you'll get a lot of likes from your fellow team parents, but not from me here.

Congrats to MC on a well-played game. Last year Acalanes gave away the game in the final minutes, but this year MC was clearly the superior team.
carrera
1st Line
1st Line

Postby Lax2318 » Mon May 25, 2015 9:34 am

carrera wrote:The implication (more than an implication...it was basically said point blank) was that MC played with "heart and effort", and Acalanes did not. Maybe I'm Mr. Spock, but to me that is overblown as a factor in a game like the NCS Championships. Sure, a kid or two could be distracted by homework or social things on some random Tuesday night game in March, but this is a championship game. Once the game starts, in my opinion, "bulletin board material" and "heart" takes a big backseat to a whole bunch of other more important things. If it makes posters like Noflow feel good that their boys have heart and effort, that's great. Post about it on FB or Instagram and you'll get a lot of likes from your fellow team parents, but not from me here.

Congrats to MC on a well-played game. Last year Acalanes gave away the game in the final minutes, but this year MC was clearly the superior team.

Carerra, point well taken though I doubt that Noflow's posts were meant to suggest Acalanes players didn't have "heart and effort". (at least I hope so...) Perhaps surprise and relief from MC parents who saw their kids do something unexpected. Having seen Acalanes play several times this year, they were full of confidence at every turn and their enthusiasm and team chemistry was a major asset for them. They always played hard and they always played with a high level of skill. And, based on regular season performance, they were favored to win it all and deserved the #1 seed. Wish I had seen the game -- congratulations to both teams for a terrific season.
Lax2318

Previous

Return to High School