History of HS Lax in Nor Cal

Postby PAPirate » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:00 pm

LaxDad wrote:That answers that question. Thanks Baller.
Carmel Lax Tournament Champions 03 - SI
Carmel Lax Tournmant Champions 04 - Menlo.

Stevenson in 05
Stevenson Pirates Lax
UNC Lax #2
PAPirate
NCLF MVP
NCLF MVP

Postby Daddy-O » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:22 pm

Wow! I have been trying to find the guy I saw at Long's about 6 years ago who had on the UCD Lacrosse windbreaker! Thanks for the tip - I believe it is Ray Galecki!

He is somewhere around town and I will find him.

No matter what sport or activity you enjoy, there is always a real "old schooler" - and he is it.
Daddy-O
All Star
All Star

Postby ZLaxMom » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:37 pm

Daddy-O wrote:Wow! I have been trying to find the guy I saw at Long's about 6 years ago who had on the UCD Lacrosse windbreaker! Thanks for the tip - I believe it is Ray Galecki!

He is somewhere around town and I will find him.

No matter what sport or activity you enjoy, there is always a real "old schooler" - and he is it.

Yep, that sounds like Mr Grelecki, as I recall he was frequently seen wearing that windbreaker. :-) If he's following old habits you're likely to see him on the sidelines of many UCD Lax games, and a lot of practices too. If you talk to him I'd love to hear how he's doing.
I'm happy to be a Lax Mom.
ZLaxMom
1st Line
1st Line

Postby I Whine » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:37 am

If your looking to talk to Ray Grelecki contact the former UCD lacrosse president Owen Goldstrom. Owen was instrumental in reincorporating Mr.Grelecki into the program this year. If I recall my facts correctly Ray was an 2x all-American midfielder at Maryland in the late 40's then moved out west and started the Davis lacrosse club team in 1972? Either way he was an intricate part in establishing lacrosse here on the west coast and in Davis.
half clamp, fast break
I Whine
1st Line
1st Line

Postby Daddy-O » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:54 pm

Thanks Whine - in our conversation, he mentioned that he believed he was the first person in this area to have attempted to turn folks onto the game. Very interesting character!
Daddy-O
All Star
All Star

Re: History of HS Lax in Nor Cal

Postby LiveLax » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:45 pm

The 2003 DVLL champion was Foothill. Although DLS was in 1st place at the end of the regular season, Foothill won the Diablo Cup Tournament by beating Miramonte 13-10, Monte Vista 5-4, and DLS 10-9, thereby becoming DVLL champions.

The 2004 EBAL co-champions were Foothill and Monte Vista. Both team had the same EBAL records of 7-1, and were 1-1 head to head. Since Foothill won the second head-to-head meeting they should have been named the automatic qualifier for the NCS tournament by EBAL tie-breaker rules, although MV claimed it based on lottery pick. This was not caught in time an MV was given the automatic berth. Regardless, Foothill and Monte vista were EBAL co-champions in 2004.

All of this can be verified by checking the LaxPower HS archives.
LiveLax

Postby picknroll » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:09 pm

Hi Livelax,

Welcome aboard and thanks for the correction! I've updated.
picknroll

Postby LiveLax » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:51 am

Thanks for the quick response.
LiveLax

Postby Mexilax » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:18 pm

A quick correction to an earlier post on this topic- Iliad Rodriguez (O'Dowd '85)took over the head coaching duties at Bishop O'Dowd after Pete Krawiek (O'Dowd '85) for the '94 and '95 seasons. Jake Azevedo, Darin Aperson, and Miguel DeAvila then took over the O'Dowd program from him.

Iliad went on to found the Menlo School program and coached it for the '95-'99 seasons while taking over the role of president of the NCJLA where he introduced the first junior high division of the NCJLA. He then went on to found the Leland High School program in 2000 where he continues to coach today.

It's funny, when I think about the history of lacrosse in Northern California, I don't think about who won what championship in what year. To me, those stats are virtually meaningless. I think the real history lies in all of the great people that I have met over my 25 year involvement with lacrosse: coaches, players, volunteers, referees, etc. that have been committed to the expansion and development of the game we all love passionately.

Its a little too late for me to get into now, but I'll have to send another post detailing some of these great people and their contributions to the growth of Northern California lacrosse

Paz
Mexilax
2nd Line
2nd Line

Postby lamolax44 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:24 pm

I am a little curious as to why we have no CIF state playoffs/tourny?
When the going gets tough, the tough get going
lamolax44
All Star
All Star

PreviousNext

Return to High School