History of HS Lax in Nor Cal

Postby LaxDad » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:34 pm

I was looking in the archives of 03 but you would know better.. Menlo beat RLS in the 2nd. Annual Carmel Tournament. What year was that? Corbolatti from SI was All Tournament.
LaxDad
NCLF MVP
NCLF MVP

Postby baller1 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:17 pm

Corbolotti's senior year was 04' In 2003 Matt Fredericks, Pat Fitzgibbons and myself were All-Tournament I believe, and we won the tournament (I saw a picture my family took of the All-tourny team that year rather recently, it included a lot of high school guys that ended up making a name for themselves on various club ball teams around the West Coast.)
baller1
All Star
All Star

Postby LaxDad » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:38 pm

That answers that question. Thanks Baller.
Carmel Lax Tournament Champions 03 - SI
Carmel Lax Tournmant Champions 04 - Menlo.
LaxDad
NCLF MVP
NCLF MVP

Some champions from my day

Postby Old Skool Pole » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:12 pm

State Champions
95 Patrick Henry
96 Poway
97 Torrey Pines
98 Junipero Serra

I know Uni made the final in 96. The Condor league was pretty strong into the mid 90s. The coach for the 95 Patrick Henry team and 98 Serra team was former Novato player Russ Olsen. I've heard he was the only coach to win the state championship with 2 different teams.
Old Skool Pole
2nd Line
2nd Line

Old School

Postby Hannibal the Cannibal » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:26 pm

I was on that first Acalanes team back in 1987. Our first coach was Dave Anderson who has been with the Scorpion program from it's inception. Some of the names that I remember from back then are the Lipscomb brothers- Mark and Brad (aside from their own college lax days Mark was the head coach at Stanford and Brad has been instrumental in the Red Hawks program), Tim Westphal (Whittier), Pat Kunz (Chico), Tom Bailey (MVHS/Chico), and ummmm..... I'm going to try and pull out an old team picture and see how many names I can come up with. We played against Berkeley, O'Dowd, Novato, Southern Marin, and ummmm.... other teams. I remember we won the NCJLA Championship in 1990. I'll try and dig up our old schedules and such. I think we were the first program East of the Caldecott Tunnel.
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while.
Hannibal the Cannibal
NCLF MVP
NCLF MVP

Postby LAXDEVIL » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:31 pm

LAXDEVIL
NCLF MVP
NCLF MVP

Postby 2LaxFeet » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:19 am

LaxDad wrote:Carmel Lax Tournament Champions 07 - SI

Menlo Atherton JV Tournament Champions 04 - SI
Menlo Atherton JV Tournament Champions 05 - SI
Menlo Atherton JV Tournament Champions 06 - SI
Menlo Atherton JV Tournament Champions 07 - DLS

Menlo Atherton JV Tournament Champions 08 - DLS
2LaxFeet
All Star
All Star

Postby DU7LaX » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:46 pm

Although not located in Northern California, Cate School, Thatcher, and OVS (Ojai Valley School) were the first high schools in the state to offer Lacrosse.. "One year later,(1967) Thacher’s team joined newly formed teams from Cate and Ojai Valley School in California’s very first interscholastic lacrosse games."
DU7LaX

Postby ZLaxMom » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:45 pm

I think Ray Grelecki is a name that should be included in any discussion of the history of lacrosse in California. This short bio is from the Northern California Lacrosse Hall of Fame Induction for 1/2005.

Ray Grelecki: Born in 1920, Ray graduated from University of Maryland in 1949. This was after he served in the military in the OSS. Ray was the CO of the Operations Group of the OSS Mercy Team that worked in Hanoi. He was the first American to parachute into Hanoi after the Japanese surrender (~1945), and while there his group provided humanitarian aid to Allied POW's and civilians. After the war, Mr. Grelecki became a businessman, with ten import-export offices in the Far East and was a charter member of the CIA. His lacrosse career is equally as stellar. During the depression, in jr..high school, Ray learned to play lacrosse with a repaired stick from a brother. He went to Baltimore City College High School and then received an academic and athletic scholarship to the University of Maryland. Ray was an All-American and National High Scorer. He moved to California in 1950 and didn’t see a single lacrosse stick. Ray contacted his friend ‘Bacharach’ who sent him 100 sticks free of charge. He went around to the High Schools without much interest – ‘don’t rock the boat’, ‘we don’t need another sport’ attitude. Ray knew peeper Nolan from 49ers who invited him to put on a demonstration at halftime at Kezar Stadium. This event, which included Playboy bunnies with lacrosse sticks throwing a ball around, was televised by CBS - the first time the Western US got to have a good look at lacrosse. Ray hosted an introduction to lacrosse for the San Francisco press at the Press Club which resulted in coverage in the newspaper. In 1963 he started the Northern California Lacrosse Association. He also started SF Lacrosse Club as well as the Peacock Country Club which was the 1 st team (Marin). Ray was able to get use of the Polo Fields in Golden Gate Park (there was no hot water so he raised money to put it in the field house). Introduced and coached lacrosse at UC Davis where he still helps out. In his honor they have built the Ray Grelecki Wall.
I'm happy to be a Lax Mom.
ZLaxMom
1st Line
1st Line

Postby HughDog » Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:21 am

Patrick Henry HS - 1995 State Champs!!!! Beat Acalanes in the semi-finals and RLS for the championship game.

The coach Russ Olsen is the all-time leading scorer at Novato HS and SDSU. At Serra HS in 1998 where he won his 2nd state title, he coached Spencer Wright who went on to become a 1st team all-american at Syracuse.

Those were the days... I really wish that there was still a state championship tournament every year....
If Jimmy cracks corn and no one cares, why is there a song about him?
HughDog
All Star
All Star

PreviousNext

Return to High School