NorCal Varsity Poll (05/04/14)

High school varsity and JV CIF polls are published and discussed here.

NorCal Varsity Poll (05/04/14)

Postby Royalbluelax » Sun May 04, 2014 5:52 pm

This thread has not seen a new "poll" posted since 2011, so I thought it was in need of an update. It appears that the "polls" posted here in the past were in fact various posters' own personal conceptions of how the relevant teams should be ranked, rather than Laxpower, MaxPreps (or other) polls, accompanied by the poster's comment on those polls. In keeping with that tradition, I am making a stab at my own ranking. I think it is a misnomer to call it a "poll," since this is entirely my own opinion, rather than the tabulation of votes by various people, which is what comes to mind when I think of a "poll."

Anyway, here is my NorCal ranking as of today (05/04/14):

1. Bellarmine (tie)
1. Acalanes (tie)
3. St. Ignatius
4. Redwood
5. DLS
6. SRV
7. Novato
8. MV
9. Marin Catholic
10. Granite Bay (tie)
10 Las Lomas (tie)

I realize that it is only one man's opinion, and I trust it will elicit commentary from several posters. There are several important regular season games to come, not to mention the NCS playoffs, so things could change substantially. But right now, I think Bellarmine and Acalanes are running neck and neck for the top spot, which is borne out by the Laxpower ratings, which show Bellarmine with a very narrow lead (98.79 to 98.59). The 5 through 8 slots are essentially a dead heat, as all of these teams have taken turns beating each other. SRV has more losses, but it has played a tougher schedule. MV has stumbled a bit of late, so I put it at the bottom of the 5-8 group. But it's very close. I imagine the Granite Bay players and fans would take issue with my ranking, since they are No. 3 in Laxpower, but they have (IMO) only one or two quality wins (Las Lomas and Davis), with the rest of their wins being over unimpressive teams. Las Lomas has four losses (as opposed to Granite Bay's one), but they have played us tough, beating us once. We played Granite Bay just prior to the commencement of the regular season (in a scrimmage that was played like a regular season game, and was not close), so I have seen what Granite Bay has to offer this season. Las Lomas is more competitive, IMO.
Last edited by Royalbluelax on Mon May 05, 2014 9:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Royalbluelax
All Star
All Star

Re: NorCal Varsity Poll (05/04/14)

Postby carrera » Sun May 04, 2014 9:06 pm

Las Lomas has four losses (as opposed to Granite Bay's one), but two of them are to Acalanes.

LL is 1-1 against Acalanes this year.
carrera
1st Line
1st Line

Re: NorCal Varsity Poll (05/04/14)

Postby Royalbluelax » Mon May 05, 2014 9:20 am

carrera wrote:
Las Lomas has four losses (as opposed to Granite Bay's one), but two of them are to Acalanes.

LL is 1-1 against Acalanes this year.

Whoops! Screwed that one up. Thanks for catching the mistake, Carrera. I fixed it.
Royalbluelax
All Star
All Star

Return to Polls