Varsity Boys Poll 5/5/09

High school varsity and JV CIF polls are published and discussed here.

Varsity Boys Poll 5/5/09

Postby backdoor » Mon May 04, 2009 11:16 am

Poll is open and will be published Wednesday.
backdoor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Varsity Boys Poll 5/5/09

Postby DlaxDad » Thu May 07, 2009 8:53 am

Interesting. Always interesting to see how the first place votes distribute.

I'd say that whoever thinks Amador Valley can beat St. Ignatius is an optimist.

The voter who thinks Berkeley can beat SI . . . . I haven't seen the Yellow Jackets play, but I seen dem 'Cats.
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.
DlaxDad

Postby Purple Lax » Thu May 07, 2009 7:41 pm

After watching Foothill take S.I. late into the game (although it _was_ an early season game), made me believe that this year S.I. MIGHT be vulnerable in NorCal. After watching them dismantle very good EBAL teams later in the season I agree with DlaxDad. Ultimate optimist might be more like it though :? NCS on the other hand could go to any one of 5 or even 6 teams!
"The older I get, the better I was" Al Bundy
Purple Lax
NCLF MVP
NCLF MVP

Postby DlaxDad » Thu May 07, 2009 8:41 pm

I'll tell you, Purple, I had the same sense after the Foothill game (even though I didn't see it). Tied 5-5 after three quarters, and even though the Wildcats poured it on in the fourth, I thought that this might be the year someone else broke through against Saint Ignatius. I've seen the top EBAL squads and all of the DFAL, and thought De La Salle was the strongest team -- not without weaknesses, but strongest top to bottom. SI just put a whippin' on the Spartans in Concord. Maybe it's because the Spartans' poles were really over-matched by the SI attacks' speed -- and I think DLS has a good set of close D -- but the SI v. DLS game really wasn't close. I pick SI head and shoulders over the field this season.

Now NCS is another story. Any of the top EBAL teams have a chance in the tournament, and so do a few of the others. It will be interesting to see how the tourney plays out this season.
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.
DlaxDad

Postby Creasemonkey27 » Sun May 10, 2009 9:25 pm

Its pretty cool to see that 11 of the 12 teams in NCS are on this list. The only one not on there would be Clayton Valley. And They are almost in identical positions/seeds. I guess We lax forumers know our stuff! :D
Creasemonkey27
1st Line
1st Line

Postby LLCOACH22 » Tue May 12, 2009 11:37 am

I think we need a more recent poll that has last weeks results!
LLCOACH22
Fan
Fan

Postby lax12345 » Fri May 07, 2010 8:22 am

post deleted
Last edited by lax12345 on Tue May 18, 2010 7:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
lax12345
Fan
Fan

Postby Highheat » Fri May 07, 2010 10:37 am

It's too bad SI doesnt play any more of the EBAL contenders in the second half of the season. I feel that the level of play has really picked up in recent weeks... though i suppose SI would say the same for themselves as well. While they are undoubtedly very talented and well coached, i must agree that i think they would be vulnerable to a ball control team with a strong defense - AV, Foothill, and MV come to mind... DLS and SR have been great offensively, but they have not impressed me a ton on Defense yet. I do think SI is vulnerable on D as well... unfortunately we can't sneak them into NCS haha.

And yes, i realize that SR beat SI early on in the season and counting on the score, played very well on D... these opinions are based purely on personal observations
"Go big or go home"
Highheat
NCLF MVP
NCLF MVP

Postby Billax » Fri May 07, 2010 11:32 am

One of the upshots of the WCAL having a lacrosse league is that SI - and all other WCAL teams - concentrate their league games in the latter part of the season. That's true for the EBAL as well, resulting in most inter-conference games coming early for both leagues. I don't see any way around this for now.

In a few years (I hope), when the Central Coast Section creates a Section Championship for Lacrosse, we'll be one step closer to the dream held by many NorCal lax fans - the creation by the CIF of a Regional Championship, featuring winners of the NCS, CCS, and the Sac-Joaquin Section (SJS).

I've seen four of the top five EBAL teams play in the last two weeks. I agree that they've all notched up their games. I've seen SI in that period as well and believe that they, too, have improved. Great lacrosse being played in the Bay Area!
Billax
Forum Father
Forum Father

Postby dualdude » Fri May 07, 2010 3:41 pm

... other thing to remember on all these games is .... who was injured? and when? ... wasn't Mullin out or at least subpar, healthwise, at start of season so DLS perhaps better than record indicates. Think also, although not 100% sure, SI was missing a number of important players at start of year. Injuries are always part of the story.
dualdude
2nd Line
2nd Line

Return to Polls