Varsity Boys Poll 4/7/09

High school varsity and JV CIF polls are published and discussed here.

Varsity Boys Poll 4/7/09

Postby backdoor » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:43 pm

New poll open Sunday and Monday with results being posted on Tuesday.
http://polls.norcallaxforum.com/polls/?id=60

backdoor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Boys High School Varsity Poll 4/7/09

Postby DlaxDad » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:25 am

De La Salle's established a bit of separation between itself and the rest of the always-strong EBAL. We should settle most of the first place votes this Saturday at 3:00, when SI visits Concord for the Lax for Life benefit game.

As for you shameless Bellarmine and Berkeley homers -- :) -- c'mon, fellers. At least the Bells will play SI -- on April 24, in the Sunset. Maybe the Bells will handle SI the way the Bells handled Acalanes -- 8-1 Bells -- but I'll believe it when I see it. [-(

Berkeley was a 7-3 loser to . . . Acalanes? Beat Uni 9-7; beat Novato 8-5; beat Piedmont 4-3. Si beat those same teams: University 13-8 (after being up 11-2 before substituting); Novato 16-5; Piedmont 19-10. I dunno. The Yellowjackets are having a terrific year, but I give the edge to the Wildcats. :wink:
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.
DlaxDad

Postby Billax » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:05 pm

DlaxDad wrote:...As for you shameless Bellarmine and Berkeley homers -- :) -- c'mon, fellers. At least the Bells will play SI -- on April 24, in the Sunset. Maybe the Bells will handle SI the way the Bells handled Acalanes -- 8-1 Bells -- but I'll believe it when I see it. [-(

Berkeley was a 7-3 loser to . . . Acalanes? Beat Uni 9-7; beat Novato 8-5; beat Piedmont 4-3. Si beat those same teams: University 13-8 (after being up 11-2 before substituting); Novato 16-5; Piedmont 19-10. I dunno. The Yellowjackets are having a terrific year, but I give the edge to the Wildcats. :wink:

Well, I can see the case for Bellarmine as a top pick. They're ranked #3 in NorCal by LaxPower and they're undefeated. I can see the case for DLS as well. They're #2 in LaxPower and both De La Salle and Saint Ignatius have only one loss, while playing challenging schedules. I can even see the case for Menlo as a #1 pick. They're undefeated too, pending the outcome of tonight's Poway game. Berkeley? They're very good, no doubt, and Jon Chee is, arguably, the #1 FO guy in NorCal but I'd like to hear the argument for Berkeley being the #1 team in NorCal. But, hey, that's why we have the secret ballot!

Voters in the NCLF polls have Saint Ignatius #1 and De La Salle #2 in both the Varsity and Junior Varsity categories. Makes Saturday's doubleheader at the Enea Sports Complex in Concord all the more compelling. As you may have read, Saturday's game benefits Lacrosse for Life, whose young charges can benefit from a donation of your used-but still useable-gear. I'm donating a D pole and a dozen new balls. Looking forward to seeing lots of friends and acquaintances at Saturday's games!
Sports don't build character, they reveal it. - Heywood Broun
Billax
Forum Father
Forum Father

Postby LaxDad » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:24 pm

That is the spirit Billax. I am donating 3 slightly dented sticks, 1 new unstrung head, one used head and a helmet. Should be two great games. I have a question for all those fans who have seen DLS play more than a couple of times at home. Do the visiting teams always end up defending the East goal in the 4th qtr. on afternoon games?
LaxDad
NCLF MVP
NCLF MVP

Postby Billax » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:42 pm

LaxDad wrote:...I have a question for all those fans who have seen DLS play more than a couple of times at home. Do the visiting teams always end up defending the East goal in the 4th qtr. on afternoon games?

Here's what you need to know from the U.S. Naval Observatory Astronomical Applications Department.
On April 11th, 2009, sunset will occur at 7:41 PDT in Concord, CA. For a game ending at about 4:45, I don't think the sun will be a major problem. The big problem comes in the 4th quarter of JV games and the 1st quarter of Varsity games when they're played on the standard DLS schedule of 5:30PM JV start and & 7:00PM V start. JV always seems to run a little longer than 90 minutes, creating sun issues both ways. Goalie vision in the East cage is terrible and easterly passes from the West cage goalie to receiving Close D and middies are nearly impossible to pick out of the sun.

For a mid-afternoon game, if I won the coin flip, I'd choose first alternate possession instead of choosing to defend the East goal.
I'm getting pumped for this game!
Sports don't build character, they reveal it. - Heywood Broun
Billax
Forum Father
Forum Father

Postby NorCalDad » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:49 pm

Someone should contact cal-hi sports bay area and let them know there is going to be a great lacrosse game played this weekend. Has anyone ever seen them cover Lax? If they ever were going to, this is the game to get.
NorCalDad
3rd Line
3rd Line

Postby LaxDad » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:21 pm

I agree. If anyone knows how to get in contact with them, please do. Refer them to Billax's post on what this game is all about on the events page. It is a powerful post. The other night, I sent some emails out to lacrosse equipment companies telling them what we are trying to do and referring them to Billax's post. Warrior Lacrosse sent me back an email saying that they think it is a great cause and they are sending some equipment for Lacrosse for Life. They are based in Minnesota!! They understood what SI and DLS and Lacrosse for Life are trying to do. As Billax said, the "brotherhood and sisterhood" of lacrosse is what makes this sport special.
Plus, it is going to be 2 great games. #1 and # 2 in both JV and Varsity in NorCal playing each other and then, after the game, getting together with the kids from Lacrosse for Life, talking about the game and eating pizza.
LaxDad
NCLF MVP
NCLF MVP

Postby 2LaxFeet » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:11 am

Billax wrote:
Here's what you need to know from the U.S. Naval Observatory Astronomical Applications Department.
I'm getting pumped for this game!

A) I didn't even know there was a USNOAAD
B) Can anyone truely appreciate the speed at which Billax posted his reply......(refer to A)?
C) Who would have thought a post with that 1st sentence would end with that last sentence?

On another note, the WC Warrior website has all the details of this event on their HOME page and is encouraging their club to attend. Wonder which club will will have the most attendance......(at this point there would be a symbolic lacrosse glove slapped across the face of all other clubs).
2LaxFeet
All Star
All Star

Postby 2LaxFeet » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:17 am

NorCalDad wrote:Someone should contact cal-hi sports bay area and let them know there is going to be a great lacrosse game played this weekend. Has anyone ever seen them cover Lax? If they ever were going to, this is the game to get.

Last week Cal Hi covered at least 4 games (2 boys/2 girls). Schools I remember were Boys - MV, DLS, Bellermine and Girls - Menlo. Obviously I am missing a few, but the fact is, they do cover it. The commentator even had some of the terms correct - impressive.
2LaxFeet
All Star
All Star

Web Coverage of DLS v. SI by Co Co Times

Postby DlaxDad » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:22 am

Matt Smith of the Co Co Times posted a story on Saturday's Lax for Life charity game between De La Salle and Saint Ignatius at this address: http://www.contracostatimes.com/high-sc ... i_12083064

The headline reads: Web exclusive: De La Salle hosting St. Ignatius Saturday in lacrosse showdown

There's also a pretty in depth joint interview with Nick Richards and Zach Nichelman of De La Salle.

Look, Ma. Press coverage. =D>
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.
DlaxDad

Return to Polls