Monte Vista - 10, De la Salle - 7 -- Final

For the discussion of weekly games and reporting of scores and stats.

Postby Champion Lax » Fri May 27, 2011 11:35 pm

Congrats to MV for taking away DLS' title that they have owned for two years! MV just seemed to want it more tonight. For 3 quarters MV seemed to win every face off and ground ball then dodge from x and hit a cutter on the crease. What seems like a simple play was the death of DLS as they failed to adjust to this play until the 4th quarter. In the 4th quarter DLS seemed to get some of their mojo back but it was too little too late as time ran out on them. Final score 10-7 which I believe I predicted correctly? \:D/ I just didn't correctly choose the victor :-"

Two things: 1. DLS appeared to be out coached. They failed to make simple adjustments and didn't appear ready to play while MV was sharp and adjusted properly to prevent DLS from going on any runs. 2.Wilm was replaced in goal at halftime by Vinny Coric for DLS and DLS only gave up 3 goals after halftime. Maybe should have started Coric? Its all hindsight though...

Once again congrats to MV! The team that seemed to want it more ended up on top
Champion Lax
2nd Line
2nd Line

Re: Monte Vista - 10, De la Salle - 7 -- Final

Postby DlaxDad » Fri May 27, 2011 11:41 pm

Must be time for DlaxDad to retire as a prognosticator, because Monte Vista by 3 in a dog fight proved to be exactly right. Incredibly, after De La Salle scored the first goal, Monte Vista reeled off 7 straight, to make the score 7-1 at the half. Anybody pick that? De La scored the first goal of the second half, and then Monte Vista went back to work -- I'll bet numbersman has the numbers, since he was working the table, but I think it got to 9-2 before the Spartans started taking defensive chances, stealing passes, and converting at the other end. Game ended 10-7, on a series of Gilmans back and forth.

Outstanding game by the Mustangs' keeper, and by the poles in front of him, but he was the final line, and he held it. I had Jarret Hassfeld with three, one righty that pinged off the left post, and two lefties, and there was some mustard on those hot dogs. I think Will Montero had a hat trick for the Spartans, but again, I'll defer to the statisticians in the group. Great come back effort by De La Salle, but couldn't overcome a tremendous first half that the Mustangs dominated at both ends.

Congratulations to the Monte Vista Mustangs, 2011 NCS Division 1 Champions.
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.
DlaxDad

Postby DlaxDad » Fri May 27, 2011 11:58 pm

Champ, I have to disagree with you on the goalie move. I went back to the posts in this topic for the past two years, and they confirmed my recollection -- Teddy Wilm has been the winning goalie in each of the two previous years' games, and he played great in both of them. In fact, he made some terrific stops in this one. I think Teddy got let down by his defense. Monte Vista dominated the first half, and made the Spartans play way too much defense. Most of the Mustangs' goals in the first half were just "no chancers" -- Jack Michel's leaping stuff to the corner, Hassey's bullet, Casey Hock on the doorstep -- can't lay those on the keeper. I don't know how many saves the keeper had in the second half -- and my comment is no knock on him -- it's just that Teddy Wilm has outplayed the best the past two years -- I keep him in the cage until he breaks his leg -- and then maybe I let him back in the crease if he feels like he can move OK with his crutch. It's a team game, and the 'Stangs were far and away the better team in the first half, and were good enough in the second.
DlaxDad

Postby laxin94526 » Sat May 28, 2011 7:26 am

While I have many things to say about last nights game, I have to start with a "job well done" to the MV defense. Everyone on that side of the field wearing a black jersey last night contributed to MV be up 7-1 halftime and 10 -2 and the end of the third quarter. Same could be said with the SRV game on Wednesday. To steal a quote from a famous coach, "offense sells tickets but defense win championships". How true that has been for MV all season. Not to get into numbers this early in the morning but MV finished the season with an average of less than 7 goals against per game (6.96).
While I love Championlax's quote that DLS was "out coached" (his words), I have to disagree that the goalie change was a factor. Teddy Wilm is an outstanding keeper and a proven winner. Since returning from his injury, DLS has used a goalie rotation in other games. While Coric only gave up 3 goals in the second half, the paper has him with only 2 saves (that's only a 40% save %). With MV up by 6 or more most of the second half, they didn't need to shoot very much and played a more conservative, ball control second half. One other comment from last night, it was very noticable that most of the fans from schools other than MV or DLS, were rooting for the black team. It's almost like people don't like DLS. For those in attendence last night, I'm I wrong?
laxin94526
NCLF MVP
NCLF MVP

Postby picknroll » Sat May 28, 2011 8:38 am

Hey laxin,

Congratulations on a great win and a great season! From the second half of EBAL you guys have been on a great run. Well earned championship.

As for the fans, that one was sort of like picking between Darth Vader and Lord Voldemort. It was a "pick your villain" night :)

Seriously kudos to both programs. You're the villains only because you are so good.
picknroll

Postby DlaxDad » Sat May 28, 2011 10:16 am

picknroll wrote:Hey laxin,

As for the fans, that one was sort of like picking between Darth Vader and Lord Voldemort. It was a "pick your villain" night :)

Seriously kudos to both programs. You're the villains only because you are so good.

Pick. Quote of the year. :lol: :lol: :lol:
DlaxDad

Postby Champion Lax » Sat May 28, 2011 10:17 am

Id just like to clarify that I was not stating Wilm should not have started the game. Rather I was just trying to cause a stir....

As far as the crowd cheering for MV...
picknroll wrote: You're the villains only because you are so good.

I've got to agree with Pick. People don't like MV and DLS because they consistently win and are at the top year after year. It may have seemed the crowd was pulling for MV but that could just be a direct result of DLS winning it the last two years and everyone wanting a change
Champion Lax
2nd Line
2nd Line

Postby numbersman » Sat May 28, 2011 11:37 am

Agree with that comment wholeheartedly. When MV had the 3 year NCS run ('04, '05' 06), everyone was rooting for the opposing team. I think its natural for people to root for the underdog. Based on all the common wisdom, MV was the underdog last night.

I accidentally ended up as the official book on last nights game. Apparently NCS does not provide a neutral scorekeeper on the field for the final game. I wandered down to the field to see if I could be helpful and ended up finding out there was no scorekeeper. I got drafted.

let me state up front that I probably missed some stuff. I did not have a spotter and sometimes the team's subs were encroaching on the sidelines and into the box, blocking my view of big portions of the field, and the goal. The refs were occupied elsewhere so there was nobody to keep the players back. As a result, scores were sometimes followed by me asking the timekeepers "who scored?, or who got the assist?" and they were sometimes able to help. Therefore, some of these stats do not agree with what was published elsewhere. Quibble if you feel the need (and I have complete confidence that some of you will), but this is what I had:

Score by Quarter:
Q1 MV 1 DLS 1
Q2 MV 6 DLS 0
Q3 MV 3 DLS 1
Q4 MV 0 DLS 5

As pointed out earlier, the largest lead was MV 10 DLS 2, at the end of the third quarter:

Scoring by Player was as follows:

Monte Vista:
Michel 3g 1a
Welker 3g 1a
Francis 2a
Hock 1g 2a
Hasssfeld 2g
Kitchin 1g

Gradinger - 14 saves

De La Salle:
DeMattei 2g 1a
Montero 2g
McCormick 2g 1a
Garcia 1g
Evans 1a

Wilm - 4 saves
Coric - 3 saves

Observations: MV Goalie Gus Gradinger had a phenomenal game and was the backbone of the MV D (in my mind the game MVP). He was very well supported by the MV defense that allowed just 12 total shots on goal in the first three quarters - most of those outside, and only 2 goals. The D played very well last night and has played well together for the last 12 or so games. This has made a big difference in the second half of the season. MV also did a nice job of distributing the ball on offense, settling in for possessions, moving off ball and getting shots on the crease - again for the first three quarters of the game. The offense has been clicking for the last six weeks or so and it clicked last night as well.

DLS did not appear to have any answer for this - for the first three quarters.

In the fourth quarter two things happened: (1) the refs decided to eliminated the push from behind penalty from the rule book, and (2) DLS picked their game up considerably. I'm all for letting the kids play, but luckily nobody was maimed in the fourth quarter. DLS's Defense pushed out in the 4th and got very aggressive about attacking the ball. This caused quite a few turnovers, and the game picked up speed as they tried to execute fast breaks. Starting at about 10:19 in the 4th quarter, for about a 7 minute timespan DLS was on fire, scoring 5 goals. The fire went out at 3:13, gilman passing ensued and the clock ticked.

Game Monte Vista.

Of the 8 years there has been an NCS lacrosse Championship (I guess now a Division 1 Championship??), either MV or DLS has won it 7 times. Darth Vader and Lord Voldemort for sure.
What if the hokey-pokey IS what its all about?
numbersman
NCLF All American
NCLF All American

Postby numbersman » Sat May 28, 2011 11:57 am

OK, couple of more random thoughts.

Teddy Wilm is a beast in the goal and a great kid. If he is on my team, I play him every game because he is a great goalie and a team leader. Solid all around. However, when your defense lets the opposing team camp on the crease, I don't care who the goalie is, they are going to lose that battle. It would not have mattered who was in goal in the first half for DLS. MV was mostly shooting from 5 feet out.

Winning NCS for Monte Vista was especially sweet this year because they were not even listed as a contender at the beginning of the season. Despite MV consistently being one of the best teams in NorCal, the smart money was betting on DLS, SRV, Foothill and maybe Amador as a dark horse. Monte Vista wasn't considered by many to be a real threat. This helped motivate the team to prove the doubters wrong.

The team embraced the concept of "family" early in the season and it grew as the season went on. If you were close enough to the sidelines to hear their shout-out in the huddle before the game, you could hear them yell "family". They worked and protected each other as a family does, and played ball as a team, with everyone contributing and celebrated as a team as well. In my opinion this was a major contributing factor to their success. Everyone was part of the success.

One final thought and shout-out for the Mustangs head coach Mike Lambrecht. Coaching lacrosse in the high expectations hot bed of Danville lacrosse can be tough. Mike is not an insider in the Scorpion circle and doesn't have the same connections in Danville to assistant coaches and players coming up the ranks that his cross-town rival's head coach does. Despite that, Mike was able to coach and motivate his team to both an NCS victory and (maybe equally important from a bragging rights perspective) 2 wins over SRV. Good job Mike!
What if the hokey-pokey IS what its all about?
numbersman
NCLF All American
NCLF All American

Postby laxphotomom27 » Sun May 29, 2011 6:40 am

Thank you Numbersman for your great work at the table this season!! Just a note though, Casey Hock actually had 2 goals and 1 assist, as confirmed by him and also as viewed on the youtube video! Not a big deal because as he says, "3 points is 3 points" All around, great job by the Mustangs and well deserved!!!!
laxphotomom27

PreviousNext

Return to Game Reports