Marin Catholic - 8, Acalanes - 7 -- Final

For the discussion of weekly games and reporting of scores and stats.

Marin Catholic - 8, Acalanes - 7 -- Final

Postby DlaxDad » Wed May 25, 2011 9:48 pm

Marin Catholic Wildcats -- # 2 seed -- 15-4 record (8-1 league record; lost to Novato in semi-final of MCAL tournament) -- PR 94.59 -- ranked 9th in North Coast/San Joaquin sections by Laxpower -- Strength of Schedule # 19 -- defeated Marin Academy, Las Lomas, Sir Francis Drake, SF University, Tamalpais, Cardinal Newman, and Redwood; split with Novato; lost to Piedmont, Palo Alto, and Bellarmine Prep (13-11). First round bye. Took out Piedmont 13-9 to reach semi-finals. Convincing 10-6 win over Miramonte advances 'Cats to Division 2 Final.

Acalanes Dons -- # 1 seed -- 18-3 record (11-1 in league -- DFAL Champions) -- PR of 96.38 -- ranked # 5 in North Coast/San Joaquin sections by Laxpower -- Strength of Schedule # 17 -- beat University (3OT), Granite Bay, Berkeley, Piedmont, Amador Valley; doubled down against Miramonte, Campolindo, Dubin; split with Las Lomas; lost to Marin Academy and Bellarmine Prep. Advanced to quarterfinals on first round bye. Moved easily into semi-finals with 12-3 win over Cardinal Newman. On to finals on strength of 8-6 win over Marin Academy.
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.
DlaxDad

Re: Div 2 Final - Marin Catholic at Acalanes, Friday, 7 p.m.

Postby DlaxDad » Thu May 26, 2011 5:11 pm

This looks to be a terrific finals, and congratulations to NCS for dividing into two divisions. There were a lot of good games between closely matched teams in the D2 tournament, and two excellent squads have emerged as finalists. My only quibble is that the game ought to be at a neutral site. It shouldn't be a home game for Acalanes.

The Wildcats and the Dons have a lot of similarities -- physical, athletic defenses, capable attack men who can all handle the rock, and a sack full of midfielders. Both teams can extend their defensive coverage without losing effectiveness, and they can both score from midfield or from attack.

The Acalanes Dons have a couple of edges in my mind. They've played a very tough schedule, a little more demanding than the 'Cats; they have a very mature team with talented senior leadership; and they have Harrison Bagdan in goal. Harrison has been first team DFAL in goal the past two seasons, and I expect that he should repeat for 2011. He's a tough kid, and when he's on, there aren't many better -- he kept the Dons up on the Mats with a raft of spectacular saves in the teams' first match-up -- it wasn't until he lost his mojo that the Matadors started their comeback. He wasn't quite as sharp in the second game, but the Dons' defense won that one.

The Dons have played terrific team ball all season, and when one part of their game falters, another part bails them out. The only real exception was the 11-0 shellacking they took from Bellarmine, and they just ran into a buzz saw that day. Their other two losses were each by a goal -- to Marin Academy early, and to Las Lomas when the league championship was already won. The 'Cats have a wonderful young squad, full of fliers who can all throw and catch, and who know what it takes to win the 50/50 balls. Their game against Bellarmine was 13-11 for the Bells. I don't actually conclude too much from the two Bellarmine games. I think this is the Dons' year.

Acalanes by 3.
DlaxDad

Postby 94941 » Fri May 27, 2011 9:21 am

Probably should not get into politics in a lax forum, but - the NIMBYs in Marin do not allow lighted fields, a major problem for an area that is short of places to play any way due to our focus on open space and protecting salamanders. ](*,) It impacts our NCJLA and HS teams when we travel over bridges, usually more in Feb/March when it is dark and wet. I know, we could all move to the East Bay and enjoy access to unlimited lighted turf fields that operate 24/7/365, but then we couldn't walk our dogs on the beach and surf every morning.

7 PM start time tonight means it will be a twilight game until the 4th quarter. MC has played under the lights 2x this year and won both times. I'm sure this will be a good game and both teams have had fine seasons regardless of who wins, but I agree that Acalanes at home under the lights doesn't make sense when NCS has a neutral field for the D1 final. BTW - it goes the other direction for girls - MC hosts Acalanes at 3 PM in the D2 Girls final today.

Acalanes coach was at the MC/Miramonte game, and MC coaches made it over to Lafayette on Weds night. No surprises that way. DlaxDad observed that MC spreads the scoring around - 8 different kids have found the net in 2 NCS games. It will be interesting to see how Acalanes game plans for that. MC's issue is showing up ready to play. If MC goes up early they win. If Acalanes starts fast, they win. MC 10 Acalanes 7.
Practice Player
Practice Player

Postby merton » Fri May 27, 2011 2:03 pm

I'll take the Cats to travel well to the EB, as they did in '06 (squeaker loss to MV in the semis), and to finish where they fell short that last time.
merton
2nd Line
2nd Line

Postby DlaxDad » Fri May 27, 2011 3:53 pm

Heck, can't argue with that. I'm sure the performance of the 2006 Wildcats will be a great predictor of the performance of the 2011 squad.

How many players from '06 did you say were still playing this year? :-k

Will they be bringing their wives and kids? :lol:

Good luck to both squads. I hope it's a corker. \:D/
DlaxDad

Postby BroncoLaxDad » Fri May 27, 2011 10:13 pm

MC 8 Acalanes 7 in an exciting finish down to the wire. MC could only score 1 goal in the 2nd half against a rejuvenated, aggressive defensive effort by Acalanes, but it was just enough to hold off Acalanes determined comeback attempt. Great game, very few penalties and a lot of fun to watch.
BroncoLaxDad
3rd Line
3rd Line

Postby merton » Fri May 27, 2011 10:31 pm

DlaxDad wrote:Heck, can't argue with that. I'm sure the performance of the 2006 Wildcats will be a great predictor of the performance of the 2011 squad.

How many players from '06 did you say were still playing this year? :-k

Will they be bringing their wives and kids? :lol:

Good luck to both squads. I hope it's a corker. \:D/

Glad you enjoyed it. At least it was the corker for which you wished.

MC should have taken MV in '06, and I'm proud of them for getting it done this year. Sorry if it wasn't what you wanted.
merton
2nd Line
2nd Line

Re: Marin Catholic - 8, Acalanes - 7 -- Final

Postby DlaxDad » Fri May 27, 2011 11:29 pm

I didn't have a dog in this fight, and wished good luck to both squads.

Sounds like it was a great game.
DlaxDad

Return to Game Reports