Monte Vista - 9, San Ramon Valley - 8 -- Final

For the discussion of weekly games and reporting of scores and stats.

Re: Monte Vista - 9, San Ramon Valley - 8 -- Final

Postby DlaxDad » Wed May 25, 2011 10:26 pm

Wow. What an amazing game. Wish I'd been able to see that.

Just one comment, from someone who's a fan of both of these tremendous teams, and many of the outstanding players on both sides. If it's possible for an All American attack man to be under-publicized, I think that's Casey Hock. One hears about a lot of big guns around the EBAL, on quite a few teams, but in the biggest game of the year (so far) for the Monte Vista Mustangs, Casey puts up 6 goals. (and an assist) I said 6! Against one of the top sets of defensemen anywhere in Northern California -- one that includes an All American of the Wolves' own (and a very deserving selection, I should add). And numbersman says, appropriately enough, that this is "Casey does what Casey does."

Holy Mackerel. 'Stangs had 9, right, and the Casemeister had 6 of them. We've gotten so used to this kid picking the corners, losing his defender, catch-and-releasing, that it hardly seems remarkable any more. But it is remarkable. And worth pausing for a moment to think how great it's been to have Doctor Hock operating on Bay Area lacrosse fields.

Somebody hand me a ball retractor. Dr. Hock just lodged another in the cage.

Congratulations to both teams on a terrific season of high quality lacrosse, and to the Mustangs for adding one more game to the schedule.
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.
DlaxDad

Postby Creasemonkey27 » Thu May 26, 2011 12:31 am

Thank you for the kind words DLD, however I wouldn't of been able to do it without my teammates. My style of play requires me to have a great supporting cast in order to play well. And tonight was a perfect example of that. Out of my 6 goals, 4 or 5 were assisted. I wouldn't of had those 4 or 5 without my supporting cast in Jared Welker, Jack Michel, Jarret Hassefeld and the rest of the MV offense. So those goals were all a team effort and shows how well we play together as a team. I am just so lucky to be on the finishing end of some spectacular passers and dodgers. Those six goals weren't a reflection of how well I played, but a reflection of how well we play as a team and work together as a unit, as a family.
Creasemonkey27
1st Line
1st Line

Postby Highheat » Thu May 26, 2011 3:30 am

This is a little shameless, but i want to give a shout-out to MV's Defense, in particular Gus Gradinger (sp?), and Zach Dutra. Gus came up huge in a game where it was totally necessary, and has been clutch in the second half of the season since taking over in goal. Zach played like a beast all night long and was the unquestioned leader on this night. While he did not win every battle, he routinely matched up with Tags and Worstell, totally shutting down Worstell and forcing several turnovers from him, and losing one or two battles to Tags, but forcing a couple turnovers and keeping him honest for the entire game. For a couple of kids going to high-profile D-1 programs, they were definitely tested (and ultimately defeated) by a beast who lacks their fanfare.

I just needed to give a little love to a guy who has matched up with the best players on every team all season long, and done a terrific job. He doesn't get mentioned with Latendresse (sp?), Hunt, Mead, and a couple of the others as regularly as he should, but he certainly belongs in that class of defenseman. Congrats to the Mustangs on another big win, and lets see if we can keep this second half streak alive on Friday night :twisted:
"Go big or go home"
Highheat
NCLF MVP
NCLF MVP

Postby DlaxDad » Thu May 26, 2011 6:21 am

Not shameless at all, Highheat, notwithstanding the familial ties. Great to see Duter get a little electronic ink. Zach has developed into one of the Bay Area's most solid defensemen, a guy who has excellent feet, solid body position, and who puts himself in the right spot all of the time. He's a relentless checker, runs the D, plays great team ball, and when he doubles a man, the man knows he's been doubled, and Zach picks the right moments to do it. He is an adherent of the first rule of the defenseman's creed, "Rule #1: Don't get beat." It ain't about flash, it's about TCB -- Takin' Care of Bidness, and Zach is the holder of an MBA -- Master of Bad*** Administration. The Mustangs held a high octane Wolves offense to 8 markers. Somebody was playing some serious D back there, and you can bet your bottom dollar Duter was delivering the mail. ("I have a candygram for a Mr. Tagliaferri.") I always, always enjoy watching Zach play. He's been on my list of the Bay Area's top poles for a long time. (And he's a really, really good kid, which I get to say, because I'm an old guy. So is Mr. Tagliaferri.)(The younger -- a good kid.)

As for CM 27, (a) you're right, it takes a team, and (b) that's what the great ones always say. It's part of what makes them great.
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.
DlaxDad

Previous

Return to Game Reports