Monte Vista - 9, San Ramon Valley - 8 -- Final

For the discussion of weekly games and reporting of scores and stats.

Monte Vista - 9, San Ramon Valley - 8 -- Final

Postby DlaxDad » Sat May 21, 2011 9:28 pm

San Ramon Valley Wolves -- # 3 seed -- 16-6 record (10-4 league record; tied for 3rd in EBAL) -- PR of 97.72 -- ranked # 2 in NC/San Joaquin sections by Laxpower -- strength of schedule # 2 -- beat Miramonte, St. Ignatius, University, Torrey Pines; beat California, Granada, Amador Valley, and Livermore 2X each; split with Foothill and Monte Vista; lost 2X to De la Salle; lost to Garden City and John Jay-Cross River (New York). Advances to quarter finals with 14-2 win over Granada. Moves on to semi-finals against Monte Vista with 14-6 win over Berkeley Yellowjackets.

Monte Vista Mustangs -- # 2 seed -- 16-6 record (11-3 league record; 2nd place in EBAL) -- PR of 97.70 -- ranked # 3 in NC/San Joaquin sections by Laxpower -- strength of schedule # 5 -- beat Granite Bay, University, Los Alamitos; beat Amador Valley, Cal, Granada, Livermore 2X each; split with San Ramon Valley, Foothill, and De La Salle; lost to Foothill Santa Ana, Lincoln (OR), and Corona del Mar. Closed out College Park 18-0 to reach quarter finals. Earned return engagement with San Ramon Valley by beating Amador Valley Dons 9-4 in quarter finals.
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.
DlaxDad

Re: San Ramon Valley at Monte Vista, Wed. May 25, 7:00 p.m.

Postby quickstick » Sun May 22, 2011 7:04 pm

#-o Lax Power has this game on Thursday??? Help.
When I make a great play it is because my opponent made me do so.
quickstick
All Star
All Star

Postby DlaxDad » Sun May 22, 2011 7:07 pm

All I can tell you is that the NCS web page brackets still list this as a Wednesday game. In fact, all of the boys' semi-finals, in Division 1 and Division 2, are listed as being played on Wednesday.

Here's the link to the Div. 1 bracket: http://cifncs.org/sports/lacrosse/files ... CKET11.pdf
DlaxDad

Postby quickstick » Sun May 22, 2011 7:49 pm

Thanks Dlaxdad.
When I make a great play it is because my opponent made me do so.
quickstick
All Star
All Star

Postby Champion Lax » Mon May 23, 2011 11:46 am

My Prediction: SRV by 1
Champion Lax
2nd Line
2nd Line

Postby Highheat » Mon May 23, 2011 2:37 pm

My prediction: MV will win if they keep SRV in single-digits scoring-wise, I think SRV takes it by 2 or 3 if they get into double digits. Beating SRV in a shootout twice just doesn't seem like a likely proposition to me.
"Go big or go home"
Highheat
NCLF MVP
NCLF MVP

Postby DlaxDad » Mon May 23, 2011 4:00 pm

This is about as close to a pick 'em game as there is in the semi-finals. Same record. Split the season series. Laxpower power ratings .02 apart. Each team won at the other's field. Monte Vista's attack. All those D1 studs at SRV.

Monte Vista's been on a late season roll, taking nine in a row, including avenging losses to De La Salle, San Ramon Valley, and Foothill. The Mustangs haven't lost since - - - they last faced SRV at Monte Vista. Still, I have to go with the hot hand. Monte Vista in another one-goal thriller. You heard it here first.
DlaxDad

Postby numbersman » Tue May 24, 2011 8:25 am

These two teams are very easily matched, and there are no surprises here. MV knows how to beat SRV, but knowing how and doing it are two different things. If MV executes their game plan well and SRV follows its game plan, I think MV will win by one or two. If either team brings their B game, it will be a long, ugly night for them.
What if the hokey-pokey IS what its all about?
numbersman
NCLF All American
NCLF All American

Re: Monte Vista - 9, San Ramon Valley - 8 -- Final

Postby numbersman » Wed May 25, 2011 9:57 pm

Wow, what a game.

First, I am sure that most anybody who saw the game would freely admit that it was pretty sloppy. More broken play goals and thrown away passes than I expected between these two teams. Both teams were pretty excited to play, so I guess some of that might have been nerves. I had the scoring as follows:

Q1 MV 1 SRV 3
Q2 MV 4 SRV 0
Q3 MV 2 SRV 1
Q4 MV 2 SRV 4
total MV 9 SRV 8

Monte Vista
Hock 6g 1a
Welker 1g 1a
Gradinger 1a
Hassfeld 1g 1a
Michel 1g 2a

San Ramon Valley
Weiss 3g
LaTendress 1a
Tagliaferi, P 1g
Barnes 1a
Miller, C. 1a
Tafliaferi, M. 3g
Worstel 1g

Two big factors in the game: MV's D played very well tonight, limiting good shots by SRV's big guns. MV goalie Gus Gradinger also played very well, ending up with 11 saves and an 80 yard assist to Casey Hock. The game turned in the second quarter when MV killed a 3 minute unreleasable stick penalty, scoring the aforementioned goal in the process. MV scored three more goals in the second to take a lead into the half that they carried the rest of the game. The second factor was Casey Hock. Casey did what Casey does tonight, hooking up for 6 goals and an assist to fellow attackman Jack Michel. He was shooting lights out and MV needed that to get the win.

MV was up by three at the end of 3 and carried that lead through the good part of the fourth quarter, when SRV put their team on Mike Tagliaferi's back to see if he could pull it out for them. He nearly did, bouncing off multiple defenders and scoring three gutsy goals in the fourth. MV also scored 2 in the fourth though so SRV was unable to catch them. Patrick Worstel dropped in a goal on a broken play with 0:01 second to go to bring the game within one, but the game was over by then.

SRV Goalie Cameron Bowlby also played extremely well, having 10 saves, several of those stuffs on the crease. He kept SRV in it til the end.
Last edited by numbersman on Wed May 25, 2011 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What if the hokey-pokey IS what its all about?
numbersman
NCLF All American
NCLF All American

Re: Monte Vista - 9, San Ramon Valley - 8 -- Final

Postby 10stone5 » Wed May 25, 2011 10:15 pm

Monte Vista - San Ramon Valley
===========================

1st Quarter --
10:30 Q1, steal Welker - misses cage. Weiss in on attack for SRV. Slash 1 minute man up MV at 9:30, turnover clear fails. 1 SOG total at 7 minute mark. Bad clear SRV turnover to Hock, goal at approx. 6:30 Hock MV on doorstep. MV 2-0 on faceoffs but turnover to SRV, MV with the hard ride and turnover. MV controls ball 5 min. to 2 thru 5:00 of 1st. Turnover on ride GB pass to Weiss at 4:27 for SRV. 1-1 score. SRV applying hard ride with Weiss at attack, causes turnover, score P Tagliaferri at 4:00. 2-1 SRV. Face off to SRV, turnover and SRV again with the hard ride with Weiss. Again causes turnover. Weiss again with the score at 2:55. 3-1 SRV. Worstell moves to attack. SRV controls ball to end quarter. 3 to 1 SRV at the end of Q1.

2nd Quarter --
Weiss again starts at attack. Clear and Monte Vista goalie with 50 yard pass to streaking Hock for goal at 11:27. 3-2 SRV. SRV with turnovers on clears - 3 or 4. 3-2 SRV at 9:00 of Q2. Quick double on Welker. Hock with the pickup and score at 8:00. 3-3. #13 for MV shadowing M Tagliaferri on man to man. SRV 30 sec. man up at 5:49. Tagliaferri with first shot of game at 5:00 of Q2. Hock with dodge move for score at 2:56. 4-3 MV. MV with ball most of remainder. Welker with score at 0:52. 5-3 MV. SRV with one last rush. M Tagliaferri with ankle sprain on rush at 0:20. Worstell and Tagliaferri shutout 1st half. 5 to 3 MV at the end of first half.

3rd Quarter --
M Tagliaferri sits with sprain to start Q3. #31 in for Tagliaferri at mid. MV man up at 10:44 30 sec. #26 in for Tagliaferri at mid. 30 sec. man up for MV at 8:52. Hock scores on man up at 8:43. 6-3 MV. SRV scoreless since 2:55 Q1. M Tagliaferri back in at 6:40 Q3. Welker holds behind net. MV with circle offense. Hock with score at 2:41 for his 6th goal. 7-3 MV. SRV with face off. Weiss with goal at 2:29. 7-4 MV. Worstell with hard ride again turnover. Quarter ends 7 to 4 MV at the end of third quarter.

4th Quarter --
Sloppy end of 3rd and start of 4th. Lots of turnover. Flat play for most of game. Tagliaferri back in but playing decoy. Good save on Weiss at 9:33. MV playing ball possession. 7-4 MV score at 7:02. Groundballs going mostly to MV for game. Both sides of stands are packed for this game. Tagliaferri tests ankle on one on one and scores his first goal at 4:53. 7-5 MV. Michael with a response at 4:41. 8-5 MV. Worstell shutout thru 4th. Game really picks up last half of Q4. Tagliaferri again with one on one for score at 3:08. 8-6 MV. In the crease call on clear turnover to SRV. Shot but MV goalie with the backup. Ball to MV. Hassfeld? with coast to coast goal to probably close out game scores at 1:57. 9-6 MV. Tagliaferri scores at 1:14. 9-7 MV. Faceoff to MV. SRV one last push Tagliaferri? at 0:36. Worstell with one last shot scores at 0:01. Game ends 9 to 8 MV.
Last edited by 10stone5 on Wed May 25, 2011 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
10stone5
1st Line
1st Line

Next

Return to Game Reports