Miramonte - 6, Novato - 4 -- Final

For the discussion of weekly games and reporting of scores and stats.

Miramonte - 6, Novato - 4 -- Final

Postby DlaxDad » Tue May 17, 2011 10:52 pm

Miramonte Matadors -- # 3 seed -- 15-5 record (10-2 in league; 2nd in DFAL) -- PR 94.51 -- ranked # 9 in North Coast/San Joaquin sections by Laxpower -- Strength of Schedule # 20 -- beat Piedmont, Davis, Tamalpais, University (8-3 on May 6); doubled down on Las Lomas, Campolindo, Dublin; lost to Berkeley, San Ramon Valley, De La Salle, and Acalanes (2x). Won 11 of last 12 games. Advances to quarter finals as # 3 seed due to first round bye.

Novato Hornets -- #6 seed -- 15-4 record (8-3 in league; won Marin League tournament) -- PR 93.81 -- ranked #12 in North Coast/San Joaquin sections by Laxpower -- Strength of Schedule #27 -- beat Davis, Drake(2X), Tamalpais; lost to University and Cardinal Newman; split with Redwood and Marin Catholic, but won last game with both MC and Redwood, beating Redwood 11-10 in the league championship game. Advanced to quarter final game with 18-1 win over Urban School at Novato. Hornets have won last six games.
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.
DlaxDad

Re: Miramonte at Novato, Friday, May 20 at 5:30 p.m.

Postby DlaxDad » Thu May 19, 2011 8:20 pm

Prediction: Novato's been on a mission, as the Hornets demonstrated with their 18-1 demolition of Urban. The Mats have been playing each other in practice all week. Miramonte played some tough teams -- SRV, Berkeley, De La Salle -- and lost to each of them, and to Acalanes twice, although both games were dogfights. Miramonte beat everyone ranked lower than the Mats by Laxpower, including a stifling defensive performance against the University Red Devils. Novato's only lost four all year -- to the aforementioned University, and to Cardinal Newman, and they lost the first half of the pair to Redwood and Marin Catholic before taking each team on the back side in the MCAL tournament. The Hornets are on a roll.

But I like the Mats in what's going to be a very physical, low-scoring contest. The over/under in this one's 12.
DlaxDad

Re: Miramonte at Novato, Friday, May 20 at 5:30 p.m.

Postby bd44 » Fri May 20, 2011 8:16 pm

As you called it - 6-4 Miramonte...
bd44
Practice Player
Practice Player

Re: Miramonte - 6, Novato - 4 -- Final

Postby DlaxDad » Fri May 20, 2011 10:39 pm

Strong defensive efforts by both teams, and stellar nights by both goalies. I hadn't seen Josh Mosebach, Novato's senior keeper, before, but I'd heard about him, and he didn't disappoint. The Mats scored off their first possession, then Mosebach turned down the screws -- stoned some quality shots -- it was 1-1 after one quarter, then 2-1 Mats at halftime, as Gabe Gilleran turned in his game of the season in goal for Miramonte. Gilleran faced fewer shots than Mosebach, because the Matadors' defense was just stifling on the night. Senior long sticks Brian Raaka, Mike Sappio, Jake Ellis, Brian Friel, and Carson Mead were dealin' -- Novato's outstanding attack man, Bryce Dowd, scored an empty net goal at the end of the first quarter, but otherwise Mead held Novato's top scorer -- averaging 5 points a game -- without a goal or assist in tight, relentless one on one coverage. I'll tell you, though, you can see how Dowd's been doing it, because the kid's an athlete. Mike Sappio was magic on ground balls, shot checks, and clears, and Brien Friel is a ton of bricks on wheels. Raaka? A ground ball machine. Novato stormed back in the third quarter, though, and took a 3-2 lead, but the Mats finished the third period on an upswing, up 4-3. Somewhere in here Chase Hildeburn put in a btb dart, which was the goal of the night. A stick penalty gave the Mats a man up to start the fourth quarter, and they converted, then stretched the lead out to 6-3, before Novato put in its last goal. The last 7 minutes were agonizing for fans on both sides, but Miramonte held on for the win.

The Hornets have a tough squad, they pack it in on defense and play as a unit, and run a disciplined spread offense, picking and picking and picking, continual off ball movement. Mosebach kept his squad close, but Gilleran was nails at the other end. This was tournament quality ball -- Novato were great hosts, and the kind of opponent that brings out your best. Fans were calling for the defibrillator by the end, but we settled for pitchers of Margaritas at Fernando's, which I heartily recommend.

Now I have to lie down. I'm all verklempt.
DlaxDad

Return to Game Reports