Nor Coast Games May 9 through May 15

For the discussion of weekly games and reporting of scores and stats.

Re: Nor Coast Games May 9 through May 15

Postby picknroll » Fri May 13, 2011 10:11 pm

So it looks like DLS will get top seed in NCS Div 1 with MV as the 2nd seed. MV certainly earned it as they've now beaten DLS, FH, and MV all the back half of EBAL. It's hard to tell which way the 3rd/4th seed will go as Foothill & SRV split with each other and MV and both lost twice to DLS. I guess it doesn't matter all that much. Winner has to beat two of the top 4 back to back anyway.
picknroll

Postby DlaxDad » Fri May 13, 2011 10:15 pm

University - 12; Marin Academy - 11. That's two one goal games between these two teams, with University taking them both.

MA was ahead late and University came back to win it. Would love to get some details -- I had text messages during the game, but not much color.

Miramonte over Alhambra 14-1.
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.
DlaxDad

Postby DlaxDad » Fri May 13, 2011 10:24 pm

Las Lomas - 7; Acalanes - 5. Got no details, just a score.
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.
DlaxDad

Postby BroncoLaxDad » Fri May 13, 2011 10:45 pm

Northgate over College Park 14 - 2.

First quarter was tense, ending 3-2 Northgate, and it looked like CP was going to keep it close like the last meeting. But NHS had a string of really well played clears resulting in transition goals to break it open in the second. Their D stepped up to shut down CP for the rest of the game and NHS cruised easily through the 2nd half.
BroncoLaxDad
3rd Line
3rd Line

Postby Wheels » Fri May 13, 2011 11:05 pm

Very exciting regular season ending game for Las Lomas and Acalanes tonight. The score was actually 7-6 with Las Lomas tallying the winning goal with around 21 seconds on the clock. It was a special night at Acalanes HS with the 10 seniors from Acalanes enjoying their senior night festivities pre-game. Both teams came out strong but Las Lomas was able to go up 2-0. Thereafter, a seesaw battle that ended at halftime 4-4. Harrison Bagdan strong in goal making several point blank saves from a hungry Las Lomas offense in the first half. More of the same in the second half with both teams playing hard in their defensive half. Acalanes LSM and and long poles are relentless and aggressive. Alex Tomei puts Las Lomas up by one in the 4th but Acalanes roars back with a great goal from I believe Chris Lee. Time running down, Las Lomas gives the ball to Alex Rutan who was wonderful this evening, he power sweeps with a nifty move to beat the slide and bang, five hole goal as he beats Bagden low. 21 ticks on the clock and not enough time for the Dons to come back. Big win for the Knights as they string together four strong quarters. Acalanes finishes the season with a disappointing loss but nothing to hang their heads about -- they have had a terrific year. Good stuff from the DFAL!!
Wheels
Fan
Fan

Postby numbersman » Fri May 13, 2011 11:45 pm

The SRV v. MV game was a barn burner and very hard fought until the end. I had it as follows"

Q1 MV 3 SRV 3
Q2 MV 2 SRV 3 = Halftime score MV 5 SRV 6
Q3 MV 6 SRV 2
Q4 MV 2 SRV 4
Final MV 13 SRV 12

Scoring was as follows for MV

Michel 3 goals
Hock 3 goals, 3 assists
Kitchin 1 goal
Francis 1 goal, 1 assist
Welker 2 goals, 2 assists
Hassfeld 3 goals
Peterson 1 assist

Scoring for SRV was as follows:
P. Tagliaferi 4 goals
M. Tagliaferi 3 goals, 2 assists
Worstell 2 goals, 1 assist
Clancy 1 goal
Miller 1 goal, 1 assist
Weiss 1 goal, 1 assist

As mentioned above, Matti Ruetman was a ground ball machine, picking up 7 ground balls, all heavily contested. He is easily the best LSM I have seen this year and a demon on the wing on face off. The prettiest goal was a four pass goal that took place in about 2 seconds at about 8 minutes in the fourth quarter, resulting in a goal by Jack Michel and assist by Casey Hock. It was a sight to behold and beautiful to watch.

As all SRV/MV rivalry games seem to be, this was hard fought and the outcome in doubt until the very end, but MV had the hand up tonight and brought it home. I thought both goalies played well, making key saves when they were needed. All goals were hard earned. I had faceoffs at 15/14 in favor of SRV and ground balls at 22/17 in favor of MV. Again, pretty even overall.

MV is playing well right now, having knocked off Foothill, DLS and SRV in the last two weeks. That should be good enough for a 2 seed in NCS, if the seeding committee has their head on straight. The reality is that MV, DLS, Foothill and SRV are all playing good ball right now, so NCS should be a battle Royal. Its hard to imagine any of the other teams challenging that group right now.
Last edited by numbersman on Tue May 17, 2011 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
What if the hokey-pokey IS what its all about?
numbersman
NCLF All American
NCLF All American

Postby numbersman » Sat May 14, 2011 12:14 am

One more thing: after the game Jack Michel, Casey Hock, Jarod Welker, Jarret Hassfeld, Matti Ruetman, and Zach Dutra of Monte Vista, and Chase Miller, Kyle Ennis, and Jordan LaTendress of SRV all got together for a few bear hugs, some back slaps and a picture session. All were members of the 2007 Diablo Scorpions team that went undefeated for three years. If you add to that group Ryan Ebersbacher, Teddy Wilm, and Connor Hunt from DLS, Kyle Alvarez from Cal High, Macki Greason from Cate, and a few others that I am forgetting (and somebody will surely remind me of), it's easy to see why that Scorpion team was so good.
Last edited by numbersman on Tue May 17, 2011 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
numbersman
NCLF All American
NCLF All American

Postby Daddy-O » Sat May 14, 2011 10:17 pm

Or more importantly, why this game creates good, solid friendships for the long run while providing an outstanding competitive outlet for these young men.
Daddy-O
All Star
All Star

Postby picknroll » Sat May 14, 2011 10:53 pm

numbersman wrote:One more thing: after the game Jack Michel, Casey Hoch, Jarod Welker, Jarret Hassfeld, Matti Ruetman, and Zach Dutra of Monte Vista, and Chase Miller, Kyle Ennis, and Jordan LaTendress of SRV all got together for a few bear hugs, some back slaps and a picture session. All were members of the 2007 Diablo Scorpions team that went undefeated for three years. If you add to that group Ryan Ebersbacher, Teddy Wilm, and Connor Hunt from DLS, Kyle Alvarez from Cal High, Macki Greason from Cate, and a few others that I am forgetting (and somebody will surely remind me of), it's easy to see why that Scorpion team was so good.

And Jack Bodine who's at SI, right?

I would be remiss if I didn't mention that Pleasanton took that Scorpion team to OT in the 2007 8A championship team. The Pleasanton team included Foothilll seniors: Ben Krebbs, Gabe Garcia, Colin Kacinski, Nico Tornaghi, Henali Kailahi, Shane O'Neil, Jack Seiverding, and Conner Perry and Amador seniors: Mitch Flaherty, Carson Ewanich, Chris Nespor, Joe Manuel, and Kevin Rice. There's also Jared McAlister now at Livermore and Ben Fouts now at Granada. And of course Coaches Manley and McConnell at Amador coached that 8A team.

It will be interesting to see the 2011 All EBAL selections to see how many of those guys were on the field together at that 2007 8A championship. I'll bet a lot!
picknroll

Postby numbersman » Sun May 15, 2011 7:59 am

Yes, Jack Bodine as well. That's what happens when I try to write a post at midnight!
numbersman
NCLF All American
NCLF All American

PreviousNext

Return to Game Reports