Nor Coast Games May 9 through May 15

For the discussion of weekly games and reporting of scores and stats.

Re: Nor Coast Games May 9 through May 15

Postby laxin94526 » Thu May 12, 2011 9:34 am

Nicely written report from Grizzles coach. I especially like the "Slap Shot" references. Good luck with your schools program and I hope the Raptors youth club continues to grow and bring new talent to CHS. Good luck against DLS this Friday.
laxin94526
NCLF MVP
NCLF MVP

Postby numbersman » Thu May 12, 2011 9:35 am

Very thoughtful post.
What if the hokey-pokey IS what its all about?
numbersman
NCLF All American
NCLF All American

Postby picknroll » Thu May 12, 2011 10:20 am

Yes, great post coach!! Good luck with the program.
picknroll

Postby DlaxDad » Thu May 12, 2011 2:31 pm

I wrote this this morning then lost internet connectivity:

Thanks, coach, for your positive and thoughtful post.

Actually, in the North Coast Section, the DFAL, Bay Shore, and San Joaquin Conferences all play home and away games against conference opponents. So do all five of the conferences in the Central Coast Section. I don't know whether coaches object to this schedule in any of these conferences, but have observed in the DFAL that -- while the conference is not as strong top to bottom as the EBAL -- there is a disparity in experience and ability among the teams, although the growth of youth lacrosse is slowly lessening some of that.

The Miramonte team has, for the past several years, had several seniors per year come out to play the game for the first time, and this has on occasion served to illustrate the difference between football and lacrosse; this season in particular, the spotlight on high contact has required adjustments and instruction, but the Mats' penalties for high hits have gone down and virtually disappeared over the course of this season. None, I think, in the last several games. Everyone is learning and adjusting to the limits and to the approach of officials who have gotten express instructions on tightening up the calls in this area.

The other factor that affects almost every game, as our coach has observed, is that sometimes the team plays almost as if it was comprised of a bunch of teen agers . . . . #-o Always enthusiastic, but not necessarily consistent.

Good luck to the Cal High team in its remaining game, and going forward.
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.
DlaxDad

Postby BroncoLaxDad » Fri May 13, 2011 11:03 am

The DVAL also plays home and away games, but the league is so small, 4 teams, it's almost necessary. In 2010 the DVAL played each other 3 times each, but that was just too much!
BroncoLaxDad
3rd Line
3rd Line

Postby DlaxDad » Fri May 13, 2011 11:39 am

Novato over Marin Catholic and Redwood over Cardinal Newman means that Novato and Redwood play for the Marin league championship.

Also means that LaxPower has moved Marin Catholic down a bit in the Power Ratings and moved Novato up, ahead of University.
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.
DlaxDad

Postby 2LaxFeet » Fri May 13, 2011 12:11 pm

Family obligations keep me away from LAX tonight, but if I could, I would flip a coin to which EBAL game I would attend between FH/AMA & SRV/MV - both very important EBAL games with standings complications.
Would like to put my request in for Billax to attend the SRV/MV and report and I'm sure Pleasanton rep's will report in as well. =D>

Should be a couple good ones to watch. \:D/
2LaxFeet
All Star
All Star

Postby SkylineCoach » Fri May 13, 2011 5:47 pm

Seems that BSAL always means Besides StMary's Anyone's League haha

Big Piedmont - Berkeley game tonight. Smart money is probably on BHS, and they may go farther than this... pretty powerful offense and very physical D.
SkylineCoach
NCLF MVP
NCLF MVP

Postby picknroll » Fri May 13, 2011 9:34 pm

Foothill over Amador 18 to 6. Foothill opened up an 8-0 lead in the 1st quarter and coasted from there. Goals coming from all over the place for Foothill. Excellent ball movement.
picknroll

Postby 10stone5 » Fri May 13, 2011 9:49 pm

13-12 Monte Vista over San Ramon at SRV

Despite the score there was a good defensive effort on both sides. But hands down, the player of the game was MV LSM #28 Matti Ruetman - who was a true ball hawk getting almost all important ground balls including the game deciding ground ball. He also disrupted almost all face offs, turning them into scrums. To me his play was the deciding factor, with Ruetman's ball hawking leading directly to three straight goals for MV to take a 10-8 lead late in the game. He also was able to hold Tagliaferri in "check" tightly covering the middie on several defensive switches.

As with many SRV games, its a tale of two halves. In the first half, the stars of SRV seemed to be able to play their typical game. But in the second half, MVs defense held the stars in check. Jordan Weiss, though, did give SRV one last chance with two good plays at the very end, including a spin move to goal from behind the net to make the score 13-12 with about 0:40 left. As you might expect, on the ensuing face, Ruetman came up with the deciding ground ball to ice the game. One last turnover at 0:17 gave SRV a desperation heave to try and tie it, but they came up empty.

The goalies played well both making key one on one saves, and I counted probably upwards of 8-10 post shots combined for both sides. Welker played well with at least 3 & 1 as did Casey Hock who took a big hit from Latendresse, but came back to score a couple big goals. I had Worstell as being scoreless in the second half, but he had a good 1st with 2 & 1 - often playing from behind on the invert.

Should be a great NCS this year ........................ <plus the U's got 8, count 'em, 8 NCAA tournie games this weekend \:D/>
10stone5
1st Line
1st Line

PreviousNext

Return to Game Reports