HS Laxers from Class of 2012 about to graduate from college

HS Laxers from Class of 2012 about to graduate from college

Postby Billax » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:30 pm

In 2012, ten NorCal guys graduated from High School having committed to play DI Lacrosse. For most, their college graduations loom. Time changes us all, and circumstances change most of us, but it looks as if five of those ten will be getting their Bachelors degrees this Spring, while having played four years of DI lacrosse.

My Son is one of them. I expect that his effort and time playing DI college lacrosse has been little different than the other four guys. What that means is that each of the five have likely spent fifty hours a week during each season practicing as a team, practicing individually, getting from class to practice, lifting, working out on their own, shooting practice, watching film, traveling to games, participating in team meetings and all the other things that constitute daily life for a DI athlete. During the off-season, that commitment drops to 30 hours a week, as there are no games, no travel time to games and no practices (at least in the Ivy League). Thus, on average, they spend 40 hours a week on Lacrosse while carrying a full academic load. I am unbelievably proud of these five. Here they are:

Chad Cohan - Saint Ignatius - Duke University

Bobby Gray *- Saint Ignatius - Notre Dame

Mike Hernandez - Piedmont - Michigan

JW McGovern - Saint Ignatius - Yale

Mike Tagliaferri - San Ramon - North Carolina

There is no Professional Athletic Life to speak of after college Lacrosse. There is, presumably... a job and a career. That extra forty hours a week spent on Lacrosse doesn't show up anywhere on their resumes, but I'll tell you this for sure: If you see a DI laxer graduating from college with Academic honors, you are looking at the rarest of the rare, because 40 hours a week of his college life were committed to something other than his studies!
I am working on a similar write-up for our HS grads from NorCal who have played four years of DIII college lacrosse. If any Forum members have information about these DIII guys who graduated HS in 2012, I'd be grateful if they would send me a PM with the relevant info.
Last edited by Billax on Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:30 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Sports don't build character, they reveal it. - Heywood Broun
Billax
Forum Father
Forum Father

Re: HS Laxers from Class of 2012 about to graduate from coll

Postby BHSVIDEODAD » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:35 pm

Billax:
I couldn't agree more. Playing D1 lacrosse at a great academic school and graduating on time is really impressive. It takes a special person to do so. For that reason, I see merit for many to play at the MCLA level and have a more normal college experience, but my admiration to those that go all in for D1 and are successful.
Claude Lyneis
BHSVIDEODAD
All Star
All Star

Postby Billax » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:13 am

Agree completely, Claude.
Billax
Forum Father
Forum Father

Postby Billax » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:30 am

As Seniors in 2012, 10 NorCal guys committed to play college Lacrosse for DIII schools. Most of the colleges to which our guys committed are legendary Liberal Arts Colleges, revered and renowned throughout academic circles. Amazingly, 8 of these 10 recruits have played collegiate lacrosse for all four years and are – I'm presuming – about to graduate this Spring. I know 5 of these guys and am not surprised that each of them had enough grit to make it through four years of tough academics while playing a demanding sport. Congrats to all these guys!

Here's the list:
Zachary Baier - Mountain View - Hendrix

Josh Cohen - San Ramon Valley – Whittier

Matt Corbin – De La Salle - Haverford

Mani Ghiasi - University - Middlebury

Alex Rutan - Las Lomas - Colby

Patrick Shevelson - Foothill - Kenyon

Sommer Stein - Marin Academy - Haverford

Max Wilson - Menlo Atherton - Alfred

My apologies for the pictures being different sizes. They came that way and I am insufficiently computer literate to resize them all into common dimensions.

I am a lucky guy to know five of these guys... and lucky to have seen the other five play!
Last edited by Billax on Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Billax
Forum Father
Forum Father

Postby picknroll » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:48 pm

Great posts, Bill. Nice to hear from you.
picknroll

Postby Billax » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:18 am

I recently learned* that Mani Ghiasi, who is pictured in a post upscreen, did, indeed, graduate from Middlebury and has begun his full-time job at Goldman Sachs, one of the world's pre-eminent Investment and Investment Banking firms, as an Investment Banking Analyst. Congrats to Mani!

Billax
Forum Father
Forum Father

Return to College