Learning to coach

Girls youth and high school lacrosse associated with the NCJLA.

Learning to coach

Postby ZLaxMom » Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:52 pm

It seems like interest in girls' lacrosse is growing way beyond the ability to find experienced, qualified coaches for the teams. If a mom who is new to the women's game (after being a fan of the men's version for 20+ years) wanted her daughter to play and so was willing to coach if she could become qualified to do it, do you think she could do it (at a beinners level - u11 or maybe u13)? If so, what resources would you recommend for her to educate herself on playing and teaching the women's game.
I'm happy to be a Lax Mom.
ZLaxMom
1st Line
1st Line

GO for it!

Postby Coach Jen » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:22 pm

Read Janine Tucker's Book: Baffled Parents Guide to Coaching Girls Lacrosse. Find a coach who is already doing the deal, and I would follow her around for as much time as you can before you need to start. If that's a high school, club or middle school coach, so be it. Send your kid to camps and club team stuff, and ask, when you sign her up, if you can observe what they coach, and how they run drills. I assure you they WANT you there, and they want you to learn how to coach. There are not enough mom coaches around. Take notes, be a sponge. Search up Kudda and girls lacrosse drills and start watching their girls videos to get different ideas. Start out an assistant coach at first. Go to the US lacrosse web site and figure out how to get certified. Contact your local club and tell them you are interested.

Let me know if you need more ideas...
Coach Jen

Nothing Good comes easy...
Coach Jen
All Star
All Star

Postby ZLaxMom » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:15 pm

Thanks Jen! I'll be ordering that book in a moment. And I hear rumors that the US Lacrosse certifiation team may be heading to this area in the fall, so I will try to get in on that. I did pick up my own stick and am going to do some beginner stuff along with my daughter.

I appreciate the thoughts and encouragement!
ZLaxMom
1st Line
1st Line

learning to coach

Postby Coach Jen » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:24 pm

pm me if you need any help. I just decided I may be doing a clinic this fall (through my club) for jv and beginner players. I have another coach who wants to learn more about the game. I think it will be Sundays 3-5 at Granada turf. If you wanna come out and learn, I would love to have you come, watch, learn...
Coach Jen

Nothing Good comes easy...
Coach Jen
All Star
All Star

Postby Flandog » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:58 pm

My wife is an experienced lax player from the Annapolis MD area and has quite a few years logged in as a girls youth coach. She (we) started our coaching careers at the NorCal Lax Coaches clinic held annually each January. Definitely put that day on your calender. I now also go to the USLax national convention in Philly/Baltimore. You can't get any better info than at the US Lacrosse National Convention in my humble opinion. It's two and a half days of pure lacrosse coaching heaven.

http://www.uslacrosse.org/events/conven ... ex09.phtml
BIRTH - LACROSSE - DEATH
Flandog
NCLF All American
NCLF All American

Postby ZLaxMom » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:56 pm

Thanks both of you for the suggestion. I am in the Sacramento area so I probably wouldn't be able to make the clinic you're talking about (though I wish I could!). And Baltimore! Wow, that does sound like a great experience, but I don't think it's likely to be a possibility in the near term. Maybe the NorCal Coaches clinic, which I would get details about from either my club or the NCJLA or here, I guess?

've been fortunate, though, to find some local clinics staffed by the some of the nicest and most helpful people I've ever met! I'm reading the book, watching what I can and practicing with my daughter! I just really appreciate the encouragement!
ZLaxMom
1st Line
1st Line

Postby Billax » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:28 pm

ZLaxMom,
Just another vote for California Lacrosse Coaches day-long event. For the last couple of years it's been held in Vallejo at the California Maritime Academy. That location was chosen, in part, because of the rapid growth of Lacrosse in Sacramento. While I haven't taken in any of the coaching sessions for Women, the sessions for Men's Lacrosse have been outstanding!

The event is put on by our Chapter of US Lacrosse, whose website can be found here
Sports don't build character, they reveal it. - Heywood Broun
Billax
Forum Father
Forum Father

Postby ZLaxMom » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:39 pm

Bill,

Thanks for the link, what a great resource! I'll definately check it regularly. Vallejo's definately within driving range, so I hope I can make that work out.
ZLaxMom
1st Line
1st Line

Return to NCJLA- girls